Opry Mills posted or not?

My wife and I went to Opry Mills this weekend. Because we remembered seeing legal posting there before the flooding, we disarmed before going in. We didn't see a single legal sign as described by TCA as best we understand it. All we saw was a Code of Conduct inside the entrance on the walls which discusses many things. Here's what it has to say:

Intro Statement: "Opry Mills, including its parking area, is private property. In order to make your visit, and that of your fellow shoppers, a pleasant one, we ask you to follow this Code of Conduct."

Statement 6: "No weapons, including but not limited to firearms, knives, or any other object(s) that may be used in any way to inflict bodily injury on another person."

Closing Statement: "Persons who violate this Code of Conduct may be banned from the property or subject to arrest. The shopping center expressly retains the right to revise or modify these rules as necessary."

It seems to me that this would not apply to HCP holders since it doesn't conform to TCA postings required to prohibit HCP holders. Worst that could happen is being banned from the property?

file-1.jpg

Guest HvyMtl

Check the edges of the parking lot. They used to have signs posted on the outer edges, stating their rules. Wonder if they are still there. I remember from the Steve McNair situation, the lots were supposedly marked as a gun free zone. Fat lot of good those signs did him...

Guest dfsixstring

I know you can carry at Bass Pro. I also saw specific restaurants posted but never noticed the parking lot signs or any postings on the mall entrance.

Dfsixstring

SR9c

LCP

RST4S

Statement 6: "No weapons, including but not limited to firearms, knives, or any other object(s) that may be used in any way to inflict bodily injury on another person."

I kick some one with my steel toe boot and I would be breaking this "rule".

I do work there sometimes, tool bag has more weapons in the bag than you can count on both hands.

Guest sventvkg

I took my CC with a 20 year Detective Sgt. who was a really good teacher and really nice guy. He told us VERY plainly that if you decided to violate a no gun zone such as a school etc and you ended up having to defend yourself you could not be charged because your right to self defense trumps any other posted regulation. If you're a handgum permit holder they wouldn't even charge you. NO JURY in TN would convict you. This goes for anywhere. This is how they wrote the law here SPECIFICALLY to get around this Gunbuster crap..He FLAT out told us this as well as showed us the statutes. He did NOT tell us to break the law however;)

Edited by sventvkg
Guest sventvkg

I do work there sometimes, tool bag has more weapons in the bag than you can count on both hands.

Any lawyer could tear that posting apart and again, if you had to defend yourself from some madman in the place, you wouldn't be charged and would certainly NOT be convicted if some maniac tried to charge you. These postings are there to satisfy policies and for legal appearance purposes and that's all. I'm sorry but this is the truth. I'm not saying to break the law but I am saying you are responsible for yours and your family's well being and that trumps a gunbuster sign. Personally if I KNOW a place is posted, i'm NOT going there..they are NOT getting my money. PERIOD.

Guest ArmyVeteran37214

I took my CC with a 20 year Detective Sgt. who was a really good teacher and really nice guy. He told us VERY plainly that if you decided to violate a no gun zone such as a school etc and you ended up having to defend yourself you could not be charged because your right to self defense trumps any other posted regulation. If you're a handgum permit holder they wouldn't even charge you. NO JURY in TN would convict you. This goes for anywhere. This is how they wrote the law here SPECIFICALLY to get around this Gunbuster crap..He FLAT out told us this as well as showed us the statutes. He did NOT tell us to break the law however;)

Until I see a test case present itself, I will not chance becoming the test case.

Guest sventvkg

Until I see a test case present itself, I will not chance becoming the test case.

I sincerely hope you never need your weapon and if you do, you have it with you. I see lots of attacks in Gun Free Zones for obvious reasons. We should avoid these places for sure.

• 2 weeks later...

NO JURY in TN would convict you.

Personally, I've seen some VERY questionable things that "jury's" have done over the past few years, and there is no way IN HELL I'm putting my freedom in the hands of a jury hand-picked by someone that possibly has an agenda.

My solution is to avoid "Gun Free Zones" when possible, but when not possible, I follow the rules set forth by the property owner. That will serve me just fine, and probably much better than the suppositions of a policeman.

Mac

if you decided to violate a no gun zone such as a school etc and you ended up having to defend yourself you could not be charged because your right to self defense trumps any other posted regulation.

Yes it's true that you won't be charged with violating a no-gun zone state law (or any other section of TCA part 39-17-13) IF you're involved in a self-defense shoot. 39-17-1322 is what covers that. Getting caught and not being in a good self-defense shoot is another matter. That's where there's no test case yet regarding gunbusters/properly worded prohibitions (39-17-1359).

Clearly not a legal posting that applies to HCP holders. Surely, the lawyers knew that, and instead drafted this eye-candy to appease the sheeple and to give them justification to ban thug teenagers.

Personally, I've seen some VERY questionable things that "jury's" have done over the past few years, and there is no way IN HELL I'm putting my freedom in the hands of a jury hand-picked by someone that possibly has an agenda.

My solution is to avoid "Gun Free Zones" when possible, but when not possible, I follow the rules set forth by the property owner. That will serve me just fine, and probably much better than the suppositions of a policeman.

Mac

Juries can't be hand-picked. There's a challenge process that involves the defense and the prosecution.

• Like 1

BTW, TCA 39-17-1322 only protects a self-defense shooter from prosecution for state weapons law violations. Is there a similar defense/exception in federal law? I couldn't find any with some quick Google-Fu.

If not, I suppose one can still get shafted by federal law for having a gun (even in a self-defense shooting) if the location is off-limits under federal law. A post office for example.

The sign is a B level Misdemeanor. Those type of deals rarely go to juries. I doubt you'd even go to court over this. This is a stupid law that should be dropped that does nothing but hassle good guys and please bed wetter politicians. Even if you were convicted of this, again it is a Class B Misdemeanor, not a felony.

Driving without a DL is a misdemeanor, no proof insurance again a misdemeanor. The courts in Memphis and around process many of those type issues each day and the charges are usually dropped just to shuffle paperwork and collect fines.

Concealing your gun cuts down on the problem in the event you accidently walk past some stupid 500 dollar sign. Good holster, a snub or pocket pistol.

Edited by 270win

A guy this year who was from Kentucky walked past the metal detectors at the Memphis airport and was charged among other things with that 500 dollar sign fine violation. He had a license in his state and the charge was dropped. He paid a fine and that was it.