H@R Handi Rifle accuracy vs Rossi or NEF

TN Outlaw

im in the Market for a good accurate 223 single-shot for 200$ or under and was wondering which one would be the best im not looking for dime groups at 100 yards, but something that will hit what im aiming at out to 200 or 300 yards all info is appreciated.. i

Edited by TN Outlaw

I used to Have an H&R Ultra-Varmint single shot .223. It was pretty much the handi rifle but with a thumb-hole stock and a bull barrel. I had a Nikon Prostaff 3-9x50 scope on it and you better believe that thing was a great rifle. I took so many coyotes with that gun. The only reason I sold it was to fund my first AR purchase which took it's place. I had a bipod on it and from a good bench or prone position I was shooting 2-3" groups at 150 yards. I hunted with Winchester Supreme 55 grn. I would recommend spending just the extra few dollars for the thumb hole. Here she is. It was one that got away. 6emuhu6u.jpg

I don't thing any of the rifles are branded NEF anymore at all, if you buy new. Also, once H&R1871 formed in late 80's and took them NEF over, again AFAIK, the only difference between a NEF and a HR handi-rifle was the receiver markings.

I think some of the shotguns might still be under NEF brand, at least on paper, like Partner Pump, but dunno if it actually says NEF on them anywhere also?

BTW, I do have an NEF handi in .30-30, and sent it in for work and a different caliber barrel. They fixed it all up for me, but wouldn't do the barrel, said something about that serial run of receivers they wouldn't do it because of something or other the way it was made.

And of course all the work was handled by Remington, even came back in a Remington box.

So for those reasons, if you buy used, I'd only get HR branded. Also, not the extra barrel program on their site, I'd make sure model was 2000 or newer and marked correctly do you could add a barrel if you like -- was main reason I bought the one I did to begin with, was gonna add a .223 barrel to cover two caliber bases.

"Rifle barrels may be added to firearms manufactured since 2000 and only to frames (SB-2) that originated as a rifle, if frame passes inspection."

http://www.hr1871.co...soryProgram.asp

Even though mine was new enough, and was marked SB-2, they still wouldn't do it for my NEF particular one.

- OS

Edited by OhShoot
Guest Aces&8s

I have not owned a Rossi, but I have shot a friend's. It was a decent rifle, but not quite as nice as the H&Rs I have owned... the barrel hinge had quite a bit of wiggle in it when it was open compared to the H&Rs. I do know that there have been some issues with the .243 handi-rifles, but I have heard nothing but good things about the .223s. In fact, I am looking for one to get my dad.

thanks guys loos like the H@R will be my choice i will update you all when i get one

There are 4 different .223 barrels listed on the add barrel program, so I guess there are 4 different ones out there in production. Only one has open sights on it, though.

- OS

Anyone every ignore Remington's "suggestion" that they send the rifle in to be fitted for another barrel and just put another barrel on themselves? Is there really a need to send it to Remington for a fitting?

Edited by Moped

Anyone every ignore Remington's "suggestion" that they send the rifle in to be fitted for another barrel and just put another barrel on themselves? Is there really a need to send it to Remington for a fitting?

Don't guess you can get a new one without doing it.

Reckon you can put on one from another rifle and hope headspace is okay. Seems I read something somewhere about a guy tried one that he couldn't physically close breech.

"greybeard" forums seem to be the fount of all handi knowledge

http://www.go2gbo.com/forums/index.php?board=126.0

- OS

• Like 1