Laser sights are a distraction for some

Guest dfsixstring

Have you considered using a light on it instead of a laser? If it's a home only weapon that would be my preference.

A good light will allow you to see your sights. Personally I use a weapon light and night sights on my HD pistol. Surefire X300 and Heine Slant Pro Straight 8 on my Glock 21.

IMHO, the fundamental problem with a LASER "sight" is that your focus is taken away from the object that you are trying to hold steady to an object ___ feet away from you. I bought one because of the presbyopia of advancing age, and I couldn't hold it on target at all. I was better off not being able to align the sights and doing my best to sight down the top of the slide.

Guest Lester Weevils

I adjust the laser dot so that it sits directly on top of my front sight post when looking down the irons, I usually index them for 21 feet, of course the closer or farther from that index point the greater the POA/POI off-set is going to be, but if they are indexed at 21' its going to be plenty accurate for most SD scenarios.

Thanks RichardR, that sounds like a smart way to set it up.

Thanks RichardR, that sounds like a smart way to set it up.

The biggest advantage I have noticed in my time using them was when I was holding one hostile at gunpoint while trying to locate a second hostile, I was able to keep the red dot on suspect #1, out of the corner of my vision while continually scanning the surrounding area for suspect #2.

Without the dot I would have lost sight picture on hostile #1 completely every time I scanned left or right, up or down ...

A good light will allow you to see your sights. Personally I use a weapon light and night sights on my HD pistol. Surefire X300 and Heine Slant Pro Straight 8 on my Glock 21.

I have a light too. Came with the laser. Im a little un easy with having the light on cause an intruder would see where you are located in a dark house. The laser can be pointed down while camping in the dark and use it when I need to. Im not one to go looking for the intruder. Ill just camp out in the dark lol.

You don't leave it on. It's for target identification. Weapon up, light on, decide whether it's a threat or not, and then proceed. You're not navigating through your house with it. It's why they have toggle/pressure switches.......

What light do you have?

a big +1 to JeffL on his post.