6.8 AR denting primer when chambering

piercedan

I finally got to go shoot my 6.8 AR today and I noticed something odd. When I chambered a round, the firing pin makes contact with the primer hard enough to leave a dent on the order of a light primer strike. I've never noticed this on my 5.56, is this normal or is something amiss? It seems like this could potentially set the round off.

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

First thing, pull the bolt from the carrier and clean it really good. LIGHTLY lubricate with a thin oil or not at all.

Next, Are they reloads? Some primers, Winchester for example are notoriously soft and poor choices for floating firing pins in rifle calibers.

It's a SUPER long shot and I doubt this very, very seriously but if your pin is slightly out of spec, few thousandths too long or small in diameter allowing it be a touch sloppy....no, probably not.

Clean, try again, let us know what happens, we'll go from there.

Edited by Caster

That's one reason to use hard primers when reloading for an AR. Dolomite could probably explain this better.

I've had it happen often, but never had one go off when chambering.

Well, Caster beat me to it. CCI 41 primers are hard primers.

Edited by 6.8 AR

The AR uses a free floating firing pin. It is a common mistake to those who aren't very familiar to think they have light primer strikes or will set off the round. I wouldn't worry about it HOWEVER, you should not chamber and reload rounds repeatedly. You run the risk of bullet setback (most likely) or setting off the primer (unlikely but not entirely impossible I guess).

I'll be glad to let you use that reamer on it. It will help on hotter rounds, like some of the Silver State Armory

rounds, if you ever use them or start to roll your own. I haven't used anything but SSA 85 Barnes and reloads

of them and 90 and 95 grain hotter loads. Most of the off the shelf should be okay.

How did those 115 X-tremes do?

Edited by 6.8 AR

I'll be glad to let you use that reamer on it. It will help on hotter rounds, like some of the Silver State Armory

rounds, if you ever use them or start to roll your own.

I'd appreciate that. Let me know when you are back in the swing of things and we can figure something out.

I'll be off until the end of October, just in a damned neck brace, but I think that falls inside the 10 pound limit

to do the reaming. I cant shoot anything, though. That's the biotch!