Anyone Crow Hunt?

Guest 270win

I was squirrel hunting today in Piperton and saw crows all over the place. Shot at three crows and killed one.

I thought it might be fun to get into crow hunting, since there is no limit, and they are a pest.

I was just using a 20 GA autoloader with a full choked barrel and #5 shot. What do most people use for crow hunting? I have a 20 GA with impr, mod, and full choked barrels and a 12 GA with screw in chokes.

How do most people hunt them? Calls, decoys?

Edited by 270win

I have always viewed crows as a target of opportunity, much like a coyote. If I see one in a place and time where I can legally take it, it will likely not see the next day. A .22 mag is my favorite crow eradication device, but have taken them with everything from a pellet gun to a .300 mag.

I'd never kill a crow. Ever. Here's why. I grew up hunting birds. Quail and the occasional pheasant. A hawk will decimate a covey in short order. A crow will chase a hawk to the ends of the earth and for whatever retarded reason, the hawk will run. Simple physics the hawk could turn around and make a black cloud of plumage out of the stupid crow, but nevertheless they won't. They will run from a crow. SO, if you value quail as much as I did growing up, killing crows is bad juju. I hate crows, but the enemy of my enemy is my friend.

We were very devout quail hunters in the 80's. Sure miss it. Takes a real man to knock down a double from a wild covey.

Edited by Caster
  • Like 1

I'd never kill a crow. Ever. Here's why. I grew up hunting birds. Quail and the occasional pheasant. A hawk will decimate a covey in short order. A crow will chase a hawk to the ends of the earth and for whatever retarded reason, the hawk will run. Simple physics the hawk could turn around and make a black cloud of plumage out of the stupid crow, but nevertheless they won't. They will run from a crow. SO, if you value quail as much as I did growing up, killing crows is bad juju. I hate crows, but the enemy of my enemy is my friend.

We were very devout quail hunters in the 80's. Sure miss it. Takes a real man to knock down a double from a wild covey.

A crow will run off a hawk, but the damage to the quail population is more related to increasing turkey and coyote populations. A hawk will grab the occasional hatchling, but a coyote or turkey will destroy a nest.

We had the best bobwhite covey in several counties on our farm when I was growing up. When the coyotes populations started increase, and TWRA reintroduced wild turkey, the quail disappeared. We still have a few, but nothing like years ago.

A crow will run off a hawk, but the damage to the quail population is more related to increasing turkey and coyote populations. A hawk will grab the occasional hatchling, but a coyote or turkey will destroy a nest.

We had the best bobwhite covey in several counties on our farm when I was growing up. When the coyotes populations started increase, and TWRA reintroduced wild turkey, the quail disappeared. We still have a few, but nothing like years ago.

On the lines of what you're saying, Feral Hogs are one of the WORST enemies of ground nesting birds. Eggs to a hog is like chocolate to a kid!

Dave S

On the lines of what you're saying, Feral Hogs are one of the WORST enemies of ground nesting birds. Eggs to a hog is like chocolate to a kid!

Dave S

That is probably true. We haven't had feral hog issues on our place yet, but I am sure it is just around the corner.

I was wondering why there was no Bob White quail around here? It appears we have ideal habitat for them around here and in the four years I've lived here have only flushed one pair by accident.

We have a good turkey and coyote population here. I wasn't aware turkey had anything to do with quail?

I was wondering why there was no Bob White quail around here? It appears we have ideal habitat for them around here and in the four years I've lived here have only flushed one pair by accident.

We have a good turkey and coyote population here. I wasn't aware turkey had anything to do with quail?

I think that coyotes are the bigger issue, but believe that turkeys have an impact, especially when they were first introduced. We were close to a TWRA turkey release area, and a year after the first release the quail were all but gone.

Edited by quietguy

I think the coyotes are definitely why there are no quail. I might have to get into hunting those too, since it is year round and no limit. Have to take my 12 GA loaded up with some T shot now that it is legal and try to kill them on the public land. I used to not be interested in hunting them on public land because you were limited to number 4 shot.

I know you can buy crows or magpies from breeders... I guess bred ones are ok?.. still.. how does that make any sense..,??

I would hate to get WNV from them.. I wouldnt keep one anyway.. ( I think)

Barring any disease.. You can hunt em but you cant keep them..in case you find a baby..:(

Same with the wild boars. so many people now have problems.. but they made up different rules now to hunt them also... we gonna end up like Florida and Texas.,... overrun by those stinky things...

Guest Riverrat

Agree on twra having some stupid rules.

You can't keep asian crap, but what are they doing about them? I haven't seen anything yet. I'm on the water everyday. You can't buy minnows out of state and use in TN. Do they have a message in their skin "bought in GA"? Crow help keep the roads cleared of roadkill. They may become protected soon.