9X18 for carry

Just got my HCP. I was planning on buying something cool to roll around with. Shield, Nano, PPS etc. Before I actually got around to dropping the dough I started carrying my p 64 in my front pocket.

I like it, it is easy to draw, I shoot well with it and so forth. Should I pay the dough to move up to parabellum or stick with what I am happy with and spend the cash on something fun?

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I suggest you always carry what you are happy with. However, i would look at some other options when possible. 9x18 beats the heck out being unarmed. At the same time, i try to stick with "service calibers" (9mm, .40, 357 mag, 357 sig .45ACP) POlice departments and goverment agencys have more money and experiance researching firearms than i ever will. I try to go with what they carry

Edited by Parrothead

Luger/Parabellum are MUCH more potent than Makarov rounds. That being said, the popularity of .380 is high right now and it's not as good as 9X18. So, at least there's that and the fact that the Soviet Union issued that round for their main sidearm from '51 to '91.

I used to carry my CZ 82 in 9X18 all the time.

Luger/Parabellum are MUCH more potent than Makarov rounds. That being said, the popularity of .380 is high right now and it's not as good as 9X18. So, at least there's that and the fact that the Soviet Union issued that round for their main sidearm from '51 to '91.

I used to carry my CZ 82 in 9X18 all the time.

This is something I actually considered. The chances of me actually needing the gin are small. The chances of me actually firing the gun at an assailant are smaller yet. The chances the caliber would be the difference between bad outcomes and good outcomes is very small indeed.

Logically I can't help but think that 9X18 is plenty. Marketing tells me I better drop some cash on one of the pocket nines.

I would have no qualms carrying a Makarov, the Polish variant that I owned was plenty accurate & reliable enough to depend on.

The only reason I never carried the one that I had was back then there wasn't very many options in holsters & ammunition was limited to surplus stuff, these days with the internet there are a lot more aftermarket choices.

Police world wide carried the makarov as a duty gun, though it is fading away now. 9x18 is about like a 380, and plenty of folks carry those as well. My first carry gun was my mak --- it is an excellent low cost weapon that uses low cost ammo, yet its better made than most guns in the price range (under 300). The 64 is similar, and I had one of those for a while too but sold it.

You can get a 9mm in a smaller, lighter package. The mak and friends are obsolete due to their weight and lower power caliber. It is not your best choice, its 50+ year old technology. Its good stuff, rugged and reliable and accurate and plenty to drop an attacker, but .... there are better modern choices. The only reasons I would choose a 9x18 today would be to save money --- nothing else that cheap is going to be as rugged and reliable and a lot of the cheaper choices are DAO with awfully heavy pulls.

I carry my P-64 regularly. My CZ-82 is usually in the nightstand, or in the car.

Both are reliable and accurate. The P-64 carries well IWB.

Hornady is available in XTP's and Critical Defense. Haven't fired the CD, but did some chrono and penetration tests aith XTP's vs Silver Bear HP. Both were a little over 1000 fps, SB a little bit faster. Penetration about equal, but SB jacket separated from core, while the XTP's were intact.