When did this start? Liquor Enemas?

Guest 270win

Guest Lester Weevils

When I went through training to operate a breathalyzer 30 years ago, the instructor mentioned this method of ingesting alcohol.

There would be some alkeyhaul evaporating from the lungs regardless how it is ingested, but maybe it could mess up a breathalizer's calibration? Maybe it would get a reading, but the reading might be lower than you would expect if somebody had recently been drinking alkeyhaul? IOW, maybe a fellas BAC could be lots higher than what the breathalizer says?

Dunno. Take for instance something that must be common as dirt in every burg in the USA, and twice as common on saturday-- A guy has been drinking at the club steady from 8p to 3a, and the last hour things get a little crazy and he knocks down multiple noxious flaming shooters with his buds. So he leaves the club a zillion sheets to the wind but by some miracle manages to evade the fuzz and make it to Intergalactic House of Pancakes, where he sits til 5a acting the fool with his pals, eating steak&eggs&pancakes&coffee.

So at 5a the dude gets in his car to drive home still drunk as a skunk. He's so intoxicalated that it might be near noon before his liver manages to metabolize the BAC down below legally drunk. There wouldn't be any traces of alcohol in his stomach, esophagus or mouth, but he would still smell like a brewery at close range. Doesn't a breathalyzer work on that kind of fella? I thought it did, but maybe was assuming too much.

If it's in your bloodstream, it shows up on your breath.

I actually think your right it seams like I was told once that it will show up on breath but at a proportion different. I worked in Hawaii where we often did breath and blood on the same person~15 min apart and the blood and breath was consistently within .005 or less of each other. This has really got me wondering because the whole idea of the enema was to get more intoxicated faster but it would wear off sooner.

... because the whole idea of the enema was to get more intoxicated faster but it would wear off sooner.

Don't see why that would be. It all has to go through the liver same way no matter how it gets in the blood stream. Maybe it would be overall shorter duration since it's absorbed faster and wouldn't keep getting more absorbed because of residual amounts left in stomach, but wouldn't think once same % is in bloodstream from either method it would make much diff.

See no reason why it would cheat a hangover either.

- OS

Edited by OhShoot
Guest Lester Weevils

It is an interesting question. For instance the only thing I know about that brit fad of inhaling alcohol vaporizer was on the Dr Dean Edell show. He tries hard but no guarantee anybody is always accurate. He said it was dangerous (of course) and mentioned that it delivered fast buzzes that use small amounts of alcohol and wear off fast. Which sounds similar to reports of the enema thang.

I don't drink much nowadays and never did like being drunk for an extended time. Fun for about an hour and then just don't want to do anything except lay down and take a nap. As opposed to some musicians I knew who favored a "rolling buzz", drinking moderate amounts of alcohol for hours, titrating a long lasting "barely detectable" buzz.

So anyway back when I was playing clubs was partial to 151 and coke. An ounce and a half of 151 driven into the system with the coca-cola sugar and bubbles. Take one drink before the last music set of the night. Acquire a cheerful tipsy feeling for an hour and then it is mostly metabolized off, sober by the time finish the last set, turn off the gear, schmooze with folks then drive home. That sounds "kinda like" what is reported of the enema or alcohol vaporizer. Quickly up then quickly down again.

But if somebody goes out clubbing and consumes 2 drinks per hour for 7 hours-- The liver can deal with about one (modest) drink per hour, so by closing time the liver is 7 hours behind schedule and it will be past dawn before the liver completely cleans up the mess.

My memory is failing or maybe there is ambiguity of opinion. Decades ago when I worked doing substance abuse counseling, thought I was taught that the liver can deal with about 1 ounce of alcohol per hour, but looked it up a few months ago and references were claiming the liver can metabolize only a half ounce of alcohol per hour. Maybe they always said a half ounce per hour and I was remembering wrong.

So anyway, a 1.5 oz shot of 151, 1.125 oz alcohol slammed into your system within a few minutes on an empty stomach by the coca-cola, would take somewhere between one or two hours to eliminate, but it will give a jolly noticeable very short-lived intoxication. The same small amount of alcohol consumed scotch on the rocks would take longer to absorb and the typical person might not even notice the intoxication. The absorbtion is slow enough that the liver can almost keep up with it real-time.

So I suppose an ounce of alcohol via lungs or butt could do about the same? Assuming that a person consuming alcohol in such unusual, immoderate manner, would also have enough sense to consume a moderate amount? Such might not be the realistic expectation.

Slightly related-- A long-held theory of addiction which most likely has some merit, maintains that drugs which "come on" very quickly, or methods of ingestion which "take effect" very quickly, are more likely to cause addiction compared to drugs which take hours or even days to have an effect. Therefore smoking crack or injecting cocaine was more potentially addictive than snorting cocaine, and snorting cocaine was vastly more potentially addictive than S. American natives chewing coca leaves or drinking coca tea. Chewing the leaves or drinking the tea came on slowly and it is said that it is about equally stimulating as a cup of coffee.

So the rapid ingestion methods of alcohol might also be more potentially addictive. But it isn't a "complete" theory because I'm hopelessly addicted to coffee, which is supposedly a slow uptake and a "mild" drug.

Maybe it would be overall shorter duration since it's absorbed faster and wouldn't keep getting more absorbed because of residual amounts left in stomach, but wouldn't think once same % is in bloodstream from either method it would make much diff.

See no reason why it would cheat a hangover either.

- OS

I'm sure there is still a hangover, If I recall the stomach process the alcohol slower. I've been through several alcohol related classes but cant remember the rates and the complete process.

There is a formula for the levels of intoxication so a enema should t be more potent than a equal sized drink but I've always looked at it kind of like a I V and how it goes to work somewhat faster. It seams like a enema induced would wear off quicker..

There is a formula for the levels of intoxication so a enema should t be more potent than a equal sized drink but I've always looked at it kind of like a I V and how it goes to work somewhat faster. It seams like a enema induced would wear off quicker..

The more I think about it,assuming one's liver is up to par, the more I'm thinking you and Lester are probably right about that.

- OS

There's only one way to answer all of these questions.

Someone needs to man up and try it and report back.

Oh Shoot?

:P

This is not going to be group partication like the Pikes, is it <hose holder, wine box holder, cheek spreader, etc...> ?? :stunned: