beer snobs

Guest nysos

My frig is empty, and today was pay day. Going to the store tonight to pick up some belgium beers. Going to a beer tasting get together tomorrow and belgium is the theme.

BTW, Chimay red is FANTASTIC, if you like belgium beers I strongly suggest you pick some up.

I'm a big Chimay fan. Blue is my favorite, but I buy all three. One of the local stores stocks all three cold. With that said, I'm not a snob. I enjoy all beers, right on down to Miller Lite.

Guest kingarmory

I usually drink Stella or St Pauli Girl during the warmer months, but once it gets colder I'm a total snob. The hitlist for the colder months for me is:

Stone Imperial Russian Stout

Strongbow English Cider

Franzikaner Dunkel

Red Hook IPA

Black Butte Porter

Gordon Biersch Marzen

Four Peaks Kiltlifter

I turned into a beer snob in Baton Rouge. Me and a buddy went into this liquor store, Southdown's that had A TON of micro/craft brews and stuff from all over the world. We started trying random beers based on the hilarity of the name and after awhile we had had everything that got imported to Baton Rouge. I've got a giant collection of a couple hundred different empty bottles from what we tried, and that's only half the collection as we had a draft when we both moved. I still drink cheap beer when I wanna get drunk, as it's just expensive to try and do that with anything decent. Oh, and to whoever was saying they like Russian Imperial Stouts and that it's like pouring syrup, if you can find it you should try a Scottish stout, Old Motor Oil. That stuff makes Guinness look like water, and it lives up to the name. I haven't been able to find it around Nashville though, and I don't know if it gets imported to TN or not.

• Administrator

My name is quietguy, and I am a beer snob.

I like to try craft beers, but really only like about 20% of what I try. I don't get the fruity beer trend, or the IPA trend. I am all for those that like them, but they just aren't for me.

IMHO, beer just doesn't get any better that a Guinness in some hole in the wall in Ireland. I love to try the local flare, but I always go back to GES.

Our tastes, mine and yours, are very similar. I've found that as long I as stay closer to dark beers (porters, stouts, black ales) or at the very least amber beers (amber ales, grolsch, dark reds) I stand a good chance of at least finding tolerable the new things that I try. I've tried hundreds of different craft beers as we've traveled across the country and I always look for a dark beer on the list even if I decide to be adventurous and try something else, just to have a backup plan.

Locally you should try Yazoo's Onward Stout, Yazoo Sly Rye Porter and... in their tap-room only, their Nitro Stout. All of these are excellent darker beers and you can sample all of them right in their tap-room should you decide to visit.

Blackstone's Nut Brown Ale and St. Charles Porter are both very good as well.

Lastly I forgot to mention my favorite tool for trying and tracking new beers: Beer Buddy [iTunes] [Home Page]

Our tastes, mine and yours, are very similar. I've found that as long I as stay closer to dark beers (porters, stouts, black ales) or at the very least amber beers (amber ales, grolsch, dark reds) I stand a good chance of at least finding tolerable the new things that I try. I've tried hundreds of different craft beers as we've traveled across the country and I always look for a dark beer on the list even if I decide to be adventurous and try something else, just to have a backup plan.

Locally you should try Yazoo's Onward Stout, Yazoo Sly Rye Porter and... in their tap-room only, their Nitro Stout. All of these are excellent darker beers and you can sample all of them right in their tap-room should you decide to visit.

Blackstone's Nut Brown Ale and St. Charles Porter are both very good as well.

Lastly I forgot to mention my favorite tool for trying and tracking new beers: Beer Buddy [iTunes] [Home Page]

I will have to check out Beer Buddy.

Son-In-law got me some for my birthday. Guess he is trying to stay on my good side. :up: I will be adding it to my beer menu. :yum:

Shiner, Dundee, Yuengling, Harpoon and Sam Adams all have nice Octoberfests, I like to mix it up. Enjoying a Dundee after a day at the barn now.

Edited by red dirt

There's good with bad, of course...

This years' North Coast Brewing's 'Brother Thelonious' is too sweet, as is O'Fallon's 'Pumpkin Beer'. Both remind me of Dogfish Head-style brews - overly sweet.

Some of these craft breweries need to refocus.

My boys made some, they turned my man cave into a Brewery about 6 months ago. I like Yazoo Hops Project and the first 5 gallons we tapped last week was a pale ale, I can honestly say it is some of the best I have ever had. We had issues getting the carbonation just right at first it was completely flat, then over carbonated but yesterday while watching Football all day I enjoyed the fruits of their labor!

I too started out with the cheap stuff. Then I discovered micro/craft brews.... mmmmmm. The "pick 6" at the grocery store is genius! Why drink 6 of the same beers when you can have 6 different ones? This is my favorite beer time of year... all the fall seasonal brews and Octoberfest stuff, it's great!

Edit... and I've converted my wife too. Years ago she hated beer. I found a couple craft beers with a chocolatey taste and that was all it took. Our tastes are pretty similar though I like darker stuff, as long as it's not bitter.

Edited by peejman

Shiner, Dundee, Yuengling, Harpoon and Sam Adams all have nice Octoberfests, I like to mix it up. Enjoying a Dundee after a day at the barn now.

Thanks I will have to look for Dundee and Harpoon. Have seen the others

I started to buy a six of the Shiner Oktoberfest the other day but opted for Sierra Nevada's "Tumbler" Autumn Brown Ale, instead. I like Sierra Nevada's brews and this one is pretty good. It is one of those that seems overly bitter for the first sip or two, to me, but smooths/mellows out after you have had a few pulls and your palate 'adjusts'.

I have considered the home brewing thing, but I don't know of any place local to Knoxville to get the supplies and I've heard it's really easy to screw up the batch and ruin the product.

As far as I know, there are still two 'home brew' supply stores operating in Knoxville.

The oldest is Allen Biermakens in the South Knoxville area, on Martin Mill Pike (kind of close to King Tut's Grill.) I bought a few things there back when I lived closer to that end of town and for years they were the only game in town for home brewers/home wine makers. I looked up the phone # to try and get their hours for you but kept getting a busy signal. If that is close to you then it might be worth giving them a call. The number I found is: (865) 577-2430 and the address I found is 4111 Martin Mill Pike.

The second is Fermentations. It is located in the shopping center that used to be (but is no longer) called 'Ten Mile Center' - the one where Rothschild's is. I called them and got an answering machine - apparently they are closed on Mondays (as well as Sundays) and the rest of their hours are: Tuesday through Friday 12 - 7, Saturday 10 - 5. Their phone number is: (865) 694-7993. The address I got for them is 8807 Kingston Pike.

I have been into both as I occasionally make home made wine (nothing fancy - mostly I combine old 'country' methods with a few aspects borrowed from more 'refined' home wine making.) I have been wanting to get into home beer making for several years but just haven't gotten one of those round tuits you hear so much about, yet.

Just FYI - more use for wine making than beer making, probably, but worth a mention - some wineries now sell wine making supplies (and some of those probably transfer to beer making, too.) For instance, I have bought wine maker's yeast from the Tennessee Valley Winery on Sugar Limb Road (which is much closer to where I live now than either of the aforementioned supply shops and the winery is open on Sundays.)

Hope that helps.

I tried a Rolling Rock a few months ago and it was one of the most vile tasting beverages I have ever consumed.

Rolling Rock is not the same beer it used to be. Anheuser-Busch bought the Rolling Rock brand a few years back and Rolling Rock isn't even brewed in Old Latrobe, PA. anymore. Anheuser-Busch moved the production to one of their facilities. It used to be a 'smaller' brand and was pretty good - especially when you wanted something lighter in taste (maybe with pizza, etc.) that wasn't very expensive. Now it is just mass-market swill much like a lot of the other mass-market, fizzy yellow water swill that the big American breweries pump out.

Rolling Rock used to be the favorite beer of a buddy of mine and, even though I teased him that it was brewed in an Old Latrine in PA, I actually thought it was one of the better of the pale ales (as in I could actually enjoy it.) Now he rarely drinks it and still laments that it isn't what it used to be. He prefers Yuengling, now.

I have read in more than one place that American beers used to be more like European beers and the beers our forefathers (and Founding Fathers) would have enjoyed would have been more like some of the stronger flavored craft beers and imports than Budweiser or Miller. What ruined it all was Prohibition, apparently. It seems that even after Prohibition officially ended, many alcohol related laws still leaned toward 'controlling' alcohol consumption, etc. In fact, some of those laws or laws stemming from them (such as ridiculous laws that keep beer that is sold in grocery stores, etc. from having very much alcohol in them) are still on the books. The result of such regulation was that American mass marketed beers became, basically, watered-down versions of what real beer should taste like. In the years since Prohibition, the average American beer drinker's palate has become accustomed to these sad reflections of what real beer should be so that now many people don't like beer that actually tastes like, well, beer. Instead, they have come to prefer Clydesdale urine (aka Budweiser) and similar brews.

Edited by JAB