My New G34, pro's & con's

sigbear

Bought a brand new Gen 4 G34 last week, cleaned/lubed it and shot 300 rounds not 1 FTF, however I did get some BIF (brass in face).

Cleaned the gun and shot another 300 rounds not 1 FTF, still BIF.

I shot 600 rounds in 2 outings ( federal 115's and Blazer Aluminum 115) mostly rapid fire with no FTF's of any kind so I'm not going to bitch about the BIF issue, sure, shouldn't happen and I will get it resolved.

The G34 was the most fun 9 mm I have ever had or shot. The recoil was so light, I could bring it right back on target during rapid fire. I am a average shot but the G34 made me look better than I am.

I really enjoy action style shooting and the G34 works for me, oh ya, one other con is the damn thing eats to much, 600 rounds in just a few days and ready to eat another 600 rounds this week, geeeeesh.

Sigbear

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Does the Gen4 have the extended slide lock?

For me I don't like it, I seem to ride the extended release and it fails to lock back most of the time.

I can change my grip and it locks back 100%. I never use it to release the slide so I can live with out it.

Congrats on the new purchase. Hope you find plenty ammo to keep it going.

As far as Brass in Face. If it were my Gen4 G34 I would try the following:

1. Get some Winchester NATO JSP 124 grain ammo. After owning a couple of 34s and a couple of 17Ls, regardless of the slide cutouts, anemic ammo can be a problem ejecting brass efficiently.

2. Get a Gen 3 recoil conversion fitting for the nose hole and obtain a guide rod you can change springs on. You can tune your springs to the ammo you are shooting quite rapidly. http://www.glockworx.com/Products.aspx?CAT=3694

3. You might try a Gen 3 ejector or simply get a Gen 3 trigger bar or Gen 3 trigger housing and swap back and forth as an experiment. http://www.rockyourglock.com/parts/GlockTriggerOEM.htm

4. If you like shooting the G34 now, you will enjoy it more with this: http://www.glockworx.com/Detail.aspx?PROD=156277&CAT=3688 or this: http://www.rockyourglock.com/parts/RYGTriggers.htm

5. Lastly, depending on your eyesight and age I like both thse products: 1) Novak Tactical Fiber Optic Front Sight http://www.novaksights.com/products/sights/models/glock.html or

Dawson Precision Fiber Optic front sight: http://www.dawsonprecision.com/CategoryProductList.jsp?cat=SIGHTS+FRONT:Glock+Front+Sights

I agree about the extended slide release. When you really get rocking on that thing I have inadverdantly have had early slide lock with the extended slide release that I don't get with the stock release.

I've got "Squirrelly Girl Hands" so I've never had an issue with the extended slide lock on my 34 in just over 18,000 rounds. So much so, that I put the extended on my 26 to keep my manual of arms the same between my comp weapon and my carry weapon. It's a "hit or miss" thing for most people, only your grip and testing will find out if you'll need to make modifications.

I agree on the Glockworx trigger kits and the Dawson sights. I tried a Glocktriggers Challenger and had a couple issues with the trigger binding. I blacked out the factory adjustable rear sight to use with the Dawson up front. Made a world of difference.

I'm seriously considering getting a Gen4 for my girl. She's drop dead accurate with my Gen 3 but she hates my grip tape. (heheh, want to make sure you don't lose your weapon to the little lady... glue sand paper to it and make her shoot full house SD rounds :D )

Mac

graycrait, just ordered the Dawson fiber optic front sight to start with and will run some nato 124's through it at some point, however, I'm not to concerned with the BIF issue right now, but will fix it at some point. Just ran a quick 50 rounds (federal 115) through it yesterday and oddly enough no BIF.

Thanks guy's for the input,

sigbear

I just changed my stock mag release button on mine to the regular Glock mag release button and got rid of the extended slide stop for a stock/regular slide stop . I like my 34 to be pretty much a G17 with a long slide . I think the 34 is the 17 of today or what the 17 should have been to begin with in the 80's .

Guest The Highlander

My G17 was a favorite gun, certainly a favorite 9mm...until I got a G34! Love both guns. No problems with the extended slide release for me, I have average sized to small hands. Somewhere in my warchest is a new ext. release to go on my 17 or 31, I'll do it next time I have it down for cleaning.