Need some advice

Glenn

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

+1 on the 10/22 plus Archangle kit. I don't know if you can have that much fun anywhere else for the price. Plus, the amount of other aftermarket mods are very plentiful.

I'd go 10/22. Especially for a first rifle, what your son likes now may not be what he's into in the future, as he gets older he may decide he'd rather have a tricked out tack driver that a high cap EBR, maybe he'll realize he HAS to have a folding paratrooper stock, who knows?

Either way the 10/22 will cover all the bases.

Besides it would make a fun father son project finding the stock he wants and putting it all together.

A friend of mine had a 15-22 that I shot a lot. It was a great gun. Functioned very well and did not hang up at all even when fed that dirty bulk ammo. That rifle had over 20K rounds down the barrel and still functioned and grouped flawlessly. You might spend a little more on the 15-22 but it will last. 10/22 is a gun you can never go wrong with as well.

If it were me, I would go the 10/22 route. The only reason I might have a dedicated 22 upper on an AR is fore platform familiarity and cheaper practice. The 10/22 gives more variety and just as much aftermarket parts as an AR, and then some. Not to mention a proven track record, great reliability, cheap mags, etc. etc. etc. If I had to choose a single 22 rifle to own and nothing else, it would probably be a ruger 10/22.

If you don't want to buy new you could buy a beater 10/22 easily for under $200 and then purchase an archangel kit to throw on it.

That's a tough call, but personally, I started my collection with a 10/22.

The M&P is a great rifle,and everyone I know who has one loves it, but it just seems like a rifle you ADD to a collection, not start one with.

If he's 19, then in two years, he'll be buying his own weapons, and a full size AR will be on the list, as it should be for everyone.

MAC