s&w m&p 45c vs. rock island armory 1911c

Guest patrick38b

Guest patrick38b

Curious to see who else ownsboth guns or has experience with both, and if you would mention any thoughts on which you would prefer and why.

Pros and cons of each

I own both guns have yet to shoot my smith but have used my ria compact and had mixed feelings about it some great some not so great.

My brother has the M&P and I used to own a 3.5 inch RIA. I have shot his M&P several times and although its a nice gun, it was not as accurate as my RIA. 1911's just piont better and have a great balance to them that was missing in his M&P. But thats just my opinion.

Guest rebeldrummer

I have both a M&Pc and a RIA 1911 (not a compact though)

both shoot great. 1911's are just awesome....but so is my M&P

some people prefer the 1911 ergonomics over ergo's of polymer guns.

I find that the M&P line feels closer to those ergo's than other poly's....but that just might be me??

RIA's are awesome for the money....I think they are like the WASR 10 AK's of the 1911 world. Cheap but reliable (in my experience)

Cons would be weight maybe. And also some might find having a hammer a con? Its all relative to you, the owner and shooter.

Accuracy really is more in the shooter than the gun. My father in law can take his XD and shoot lights out. I get it, and my groups are no where near as tight as his.

I just do not handle that gun enough to know how it points and feels. Same can be said about him shooting my M&P.

Guest patrick38b

Hey to rebel I agree that accuracy has to do with the shooter I feel the grip I get on a gun greatly affects my accuracy as well as practice.

I'm a crack shot with my glock 27 with the pierce grip if with the stock mag I'm not.

How do you folks feel bout the trigger on the m&p ? Noticed it is awkward

Hinged triggers (basically anything other than 1911's) are different animals than sliding triggers (1911 triggers). Any trigger is tunable, but they will never be able to be "the same."

That being said, the trigger on my M&P Pro was pretty sweet, it was slightly tuned at the factory for that model. Not sure what you mean by awkward, though. Are you referring to how it's basically broken in half? Once you have your finger on the trigger and you take up the slack from that "trigger safety" it feels just as solid as any other curved trigger.

Mac

Ah, the hinge halfway down the trigger is an additional "safety" supposedly designed to restrict accidental movement of the trigger. However, I don't know how the trigger would be actuated without moving that device either intentionally or accidentally. Same thing as the little center nub on the Glock and XD triggers. I don't know who thought that design would be a great "life-saving" device. FWIW, once you have your finger on the trigger and stage it enough to actuate that safety, the trigger feels exactly like a standard solid trigger.

Mac
Guest rebeldrummer

I have the M&P .45 C , it shoots well but a little large for carry.

See I used to carry a Glock 23 (until I switched to M&P) and I feel that the M&P 45c is about the same size as the Glock 19/23 platform. I use an IWB Crossbreed so it carries well for me? I only carry it when I am out and about and do not need to tuck in or anything like that.

When I do, I throw the shield on and am good to go!

• 3 weeks later...
Guest patrick38b

Was kind of disappointed in the m&p 45c

Had 2 stove pipes out of 50 rounds of American eagle fmj 230grn

Thought that was good ammo LOL

Anyone else have that issue ?

I liked the accuracy AMD the fact that the extended mag holds 14 rnds thou

I could be (often am) wrong but I thought the dumb trigger insert on glocks and so on were a form of "drop safety" in that if dropped, the inertia of the trigger could not pull itself because the insert would block it. ?????

The main reason I like a 1911 is the trigger. The rest of it .... could be improved, in general. I know, I know, blasphemy, but we have learned a FEW things in the last 100 years that just might have improved our ability to produce great pistols.

I got to try out a man's tweaked M&P and it was pretty darn good. He had some kind of $200 trigger job, apex or some word like that which was hard to hear thru the headset. It was as good as a cheap 1911 trigger, a little slop but man, it was 10X better than most semi autos.

I own the M&P full-size, Compact, and shield, all in .40, the SW1911 and SR1911 in the 1911 platform, and have owned many others in 1911.

You are comparing the top of the line tupperware gun to the bottom of the line 1911's. (Sorry, but you ask, and you should know that before you spend your money.)

If I wanted a carry gun in the 45ACP I would go with a quality 5" 1911 over the M&P45(Just because the M&P is too fat).

But if the choice is limited to those two I would go with the M&P.

Guest patrick38b

my question is to find out opinions on owners likes and dislikes of each gun they are similar in price and shoot the same caliber ammo. I didn't ask whichone is a better carry gun or did I spend my money wisely?

I own 5 handguns and I usually carry 3 of them on a day to day basis.

For short quick trips I take my 38special +p

Taurus ultra light titanium

For extended time away from the home I carry a either a glock 27 gen4 or my Sig sauer p239 dak 9mm

I wouldnt say that ria is the absolute bottom of the barrel of 1911 out there to buy for the $ its a better buy than most.

And the s&w m&p 45 isn't top of the line for polymer guns its middle of the pack

I was expecting more out of the m&p I guess I should have said like the 1911 u should expect that it is what it is for the $.

Being disappointed in my m&p I guess I'm comparing its performance to my glock 27

• Administrator

Disagree with Dave that the M&P 45 is that much fatter than a 1911 grip that it makes it unsuitable as a "carry gun". The M&P 45 grip is only a hair thicker than the M&P 9mm or .40SW variants and the slide is likewise only a hair thicker. The difference is so negligible that the vast majority of holsters made for the 9/40 fit the 45 perfectly. I know you're talking about the 45C but I'd skip that and go straight for the shorter (4-inch) full size instead. The M&P 45 4-inch version is the perfect carry .45ACP in my opinion.

Here is a very good photographic comparison between the M&P 45 4-inch and a 1911 Commander size. These are not my photos but they save me the trouble of having to break out the camera and do the same thing. ;)

DSCN0549.jpg

DSCN0555.jpg

DSCN0552.jpg

Being disappointed in my m&p I guess I'm comparing its performance to my glock 27

well, what do you dislike about it? You mentioned the trigger, and that can be "fixed" if you are willing to spend the $$ on it. Performance how, did it jam? Do you just prefer the glock shape/ergos? If you can put your finger on what you do not like, maybe we can point to a solution (a tweak to the platform or a different gun).

• Like 1
Guest rebeldrummer

I agree w/ David on this.....I carry a M&P 45c in a IWB Crossbreed and have NO issues w/ it.

I wear a gun belt and the combination between that and the holster make for a very comfortable carry

And with the right system...you can wear it without printing and have no issues.

It is all preference I guess. And like Jonnin said, tell us more and maybe we can help

Guest patrick38b

As far as the m&p 45c is concerned I did like the slim feel, the back straps are comfortable, the extended mag has good capacity and the gun was rly accurate.

I didn't like that it had some stove pipes 2 out of 50 using american eagle 230grain fmj

The magazine had movement to it when firing I could feel it in my firing hand.

Find carrying it isn't as comfortable as my glock 27 or Sig 239 on the.hip