Tables are turned on kidnapping suspect

Guest 0down

Guest 0down

http://www.commercialappeal.com/mca/local/article/0,2845,MCA_25340_5449300,00.html

An East Memphis man whose elderly mother had been terrorized by a kidnapper last week got the drop on the suspect this week and held him at gunpoint for police.

Kent Hardin, 59, stopped the suspect Monday as he tried to kidnap the mother's caretaker for the second time.

The suspect, Gary Stewart, 35, was charged with two counts of aggravated kidnapping, two counts of aggravated burglary, two counts of aggravated assault, kidnapping and aggravated robbery.

Hardin was in the home on Honey Locust Cove, southeast of Kirby Parkway and Poplar Pike, when he heard Stewart threaten the caretaker, Sharon Hamblin, the suspect's ex-girlfriend, and force her into the elderly woman's car.

Hardin said he heard the commotion, and found an old handgun that his father had owned. He said he confronted Stewart as the car drove out of the garage, and ordered him onto the ground. He held him until police arrived.

The gun wasn't loaded, Hardin said, because he couldn't find the ammo clip.

"I was almost asleep. I looked down the hall and saw him with a knife to her throat," he said.

Hardin came up behind Stewart on the passenger side and put the gun to his head.

"He just kind of melted," Hardin said.

It was the second time in four days that Stewart had broken into the 84-year-old woman's home to get at the 49-year-old Hamblin, police said.

Last Friday, Stewart broke through a bedroom window and confronted Hamblin as she unloaded groceries with the elderly patient.

Stewart walked out of a back bedroom and threw Hamblin to the floor, stating "I am not going to kill you yet. ... Give me all your money," according to police reports.

Stewart said he had a gun, and threatened to kill Hamblin if she did not go with him.

Stewart took $25 from the caretaker and forced her to drive to West Memphis, taking the elderly woman with them because the caretaker refused to leave her by herself.

As the old woman sat in the car, Stewart forced Hamblin to go into a store in West Memphis to cash her check for $270, according to reports.

Hamblin reported the robbery, and on Monday was returning to the home on Honey Locust after a session with Memphis Police Domestic Violence detectives.

Meanwhile, Hardin decided he had best stay at his mother's house to protect her.

Again, Stewart was waiting for her, and attempted to kidnap her again at knifepoint when Hardin intervened.

Stewart had broken in through a garage window.

Federal prosecutors Wednesday were reviewing the case for possible federal charges.

By Chris Conley

March 29, 2007

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest surviveg27

I agree, the unloaded gun was better than nothing. Glad it all turned out ok for the guy and all involved.

How different it could have been if the suspect had a gun in addition to the knife.

Hope this guy has now found the magazine and is getting some range time with it.

An unloaded gun worked in this situation because he was behind the guy in the garage, had he been in front of the car, the outcome probably would have been different.

I sincerely hope this man finds the magazine for that pistol and keeps it loaded as long as that caretaker is in the home and her ex is on the street. Hopefully this will allow for an order of protection and extra charges can be added on.

Guest db99wj

Oh, I also need to say, this is in a very, very nice part of East Memphis. Crime and criminals are not just in the ghetto, they can be and are everywhere and at any given time.