Bought my first rifle...

Guest MidTNGlock

Guest MidTNGlock

.... a Marlin 795

http://www.marlinfir...loading/795.asp

A local store had these on sale so I went ahead and picked one up for myself. Took it to the range today and had a great time with it.

Started off with 100 CCI Mini Mags and then about 100 Blazer bulk rounds. Functioned flawlessly with the only gripe being the cheap scope it came with and the lousy iron sights. Trigger is a bit heavier than I expected but not bad, IMO.

Some "Tech Sights" aperture sights will be installed soon for a better sight picture.

http://www.tech-sights.com/marlin.htm

Some of the first few shots from 25 yards, fired with my elbows resting on the table:

37d3d3b3.jpg

My offhand shooting was pretty erratic so no pics of those targets. :yuck:

Before July, I had never owned a gun. Now, I have three. :woohoo:

7ed75ba0.jpg

Edited by MidTNGlock
  • Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nice shooting. I only owned 1-3 guns at a time for the last 6 years until last year and a half or so. Went from 2 to, well I stopped keeping count at 12.

So yeah, this is a support group. Unfortunately for your wallet we support the decision to buy more guns.

Guest MidTNGlock

Nice shooting. I only owned 1-3 guns at a time for the last 6 years until last year and a half or so. Went from 2 to, well I stopped keeping count at 12.

So yeah, this is a support group. Unfortunately for your wallet we support the decision to buy more guns.

I can see what y'all mean about this addiction. I'm always looking for the next one.

Been looking at the AR's and AK's lately...

Edited by MidTNGlock
Guest MidTNGlock

I have a model 60 marlin. I freakin love Marlin rifles. Probably the best first rifle you could have.

The model 60 is what I wanted but they weren't on sale. I do plan to pick one up at some point.

My experience with the 795 has been great so far. I've shot up a brick of cheap Blazer and 200 Mini Mags without a single malfunction.

Congrats.

I'm confused a bit reading the description on that gun. It says it has a "10-shot nickel-plated clip magazine". You can load it with clips?

That's for the illiterates who don't know that a magazine isn't what you glance at in the check-out line at the supermarket. So they add the "clip" for their benefit. I've seen "clip magazine" elsewhere too. It's just a magazine.

Congrats on the rifle. A Marlin Model 60 was my first self-loading .22 rifle when I was a wee lad. I like Marlins.

Edited by Clod Stomper

I can see what y'all mean about this addiction. I'm always looking for the next one.

Been looking at the AR's and AK's lately...

Ditto, I'm hopefully going to be picking up a converted Saiga soon from another forum member and I got three AR lowers sitting around waiting to be finished. On top of that I seriously need to pick up a safe soon, for one I'm tripping over guns plus it's starting to get to the point where as a whole they're turning into an investment. Most of em hover around the 3-5 hundred range but it's the quantity that makes the value in my case.

• 2 weeks later...

The model 60 is what I wanted but they weren't on sale. I do plan to pick one up at some point.

My experience with the 795 has been great so far. I've shot up a brick of cheap Blazer and 200 Mini Mags without a single malfunction.

I had a 795 once, too. It was awesome as well. Marlins just go. After a few thousand rounds without cleaning they will jam with low power loads. Ask me how I know. Not knocking the 10/22 but marlins were king until the Rugers came out. Personally I don't see ruger is any better.

And that three will turn into six within a year. Welcome to the addiction! If you find yourself spending too much money on guns you better stay away from this website. We will only encourage you to buy more :D

My first gun was a 1965 Marlin Golden 39A lever action. I got it when I was 4 years old and I still have it today. I also just picked up a Marlin 336W today from a fellow TGO member. It is freakin sweet. Still looks brand new. You cannot go wrong with a Marlin. They are some of the best built and most accurate rifles ever produced.

I have heard of some quality issues with the newer Marlin's that are now produced by Remington. Remington's parent company purchased Marlin and closed their North Haven plant in 2011. They are all now built at the Remington factories in New York and Mayfield, KY. I won't say anymore on this subject because it's something that can be debated for days. I have never owned a Remington produced Marlin, so I cannot say which is actually better. People are more inclined to report problems than they are to brag about a particular product anyway.

The 336W I purchased today was made in 2009, so it was made in the North Haven plant before the doors closed. That was important to me because my Golden 39A was made there. I am also not a big Remington fan, but I have my own reasons for it.

Edited by Seabeejason

Around here, "One Gun Per Month" is not a government program... IT'S A GOAL!

795, MKIII, and what appears to be a Glock? That, my friend, is exactly how you start a collection! Add in an 870 pump, home-brewed AR, and an RIA 1911, and you get mad interwebz cred!

Mac