New range says NO to reloads

I have been looking forward to the opening of a new range in the area but was told by one of their staff that reloads would not be allowed to be shot there. Only store bought ammo, including Wally World or any other ammo sellers. This greatly disappoints me and will force me to continue to take my business to the ranges in the area that I have been going to.

Your thoughts?

as I understand it, which is from semi-questionable sources, a range that allows them must carry extra insurance which is somewhat expensive. There may be ways around this (such as 100% at your own risk places that are unmanned/unstaffed) that I do not understand, but it comes down to liability and money issues.

Oh I'll go look at their guns! I'm excited about their statements of a huge inventory and if they are priced at a competative level I would buy from them. But they would have had a lot more of my money from the range. I had already budgeted a membership! Just glad I found this out before plopping down my cash!

Edited by Volzfan

Ah,

is absolutely correct. This is an insurance issue. We have close to half a million dollars invested on the range side in steel, baffles, bullet trap, and targetry. The bank requires us to insure fixtures of that level expense against the risk of loss. The insurance company will not write a policy that covers reloads

The fellow that I talked to said they WOULD write a policy but it was an INSANE cost over the 'no reloads' version and not possible to do it.

Ironically, somone managed to blow a gun to bits there (not this range you are discussing, one I visit I mean) by inserting the wrong type of FACTORY ammo into it. As was once said in a book I read in highschool, about a teenage boy "hes not a bad kid but I cannot think of enough things to tell him not to do".

Edited by Jonnin

Ah,

is absolutely correct. This is an insurance issue. We have close to half a million dollars invested on the range side in steel, baffles, bullet trap, and targetry. The bank requires us to insure fixtures of that level expense against the risk of loss. The insurance company will not write a policy that covers reloads

So the insurance is for your steel, baffles, bullet traps, and targetry?

So the insurance is for your steel, baffles, bullet traps, and targetry?

I think what he is saying is that additional insurance is required by the lender for those items and the insurer will not provide that coverage if reloads were allowed. So, it appears to me the options are as follows:

1: Accumulate a few million dollars to avoid having to go through a lender. Sounds easy enough, right?

2: Choose not to worry about the insurance, which would negate the lending contract, which puts you back at option #1.

3: Just say "no reloads" and allow people to bring their own "factory" loaded ammo and shoot away.

4: Choose to open a fabric store as opposed to a gunshop/range because gun owners and shooter will bitch and whine about everything because they feel like they're being picked on and the world is against them.

• Like 1

I have no animosity against their decision. That is completely their choice to make. I'm a firm believer in, "Their house, their rules." My point is that my friends and I have spent a lot of money and time building a reloading lab and developing loads for our particular weapons. I'm not going to pay money to join yet another club (I already belong to 2 indoor) that I have to ALSO buy ammunition. Just doesn't make sense TO ME.

I will definitely visit their shop and if they have merchandise that I am interested in at a price I'm willing to pay, I'll purchase from them. Just as I have at most shops in the area. I just won't be using their range.

Mac

• Like 1

I think what he is saying is that additional insurance is required by the lender for those items and the insurer will not provide that coverage if reloads were allowed. So, it appears to me the options are as follows:

1: Accumulate a few million dollars to avoid having to go through a lender. Sounds easy enough, right?

2: Choose not to worry about the insurance, which would negate the lending contract, which puts you back at option #1.

3: Just say "no reloads" and allow people to bring their own "factory" loaded ammo and shoot away.

4: Choose to open a fabric store as opposed to a gunshop/range because gun owners and shooter will bitch and whine about everything because they feel like they're being picked on and the world is against them.

I have no problems with there policy to not allow reloads, it does not affect me in any way. Its just that his statement reads, to me, that the insurance is for his equipment and they will not insure his equipment if reloads are used. And has nothing to do with guns blowing up. I was just looking for clarity

I have no problems with there policy to not allow reloads, it does not affect me in any way. Its just that his statement reads, to me, that the insurance is for his equipment and they will not insure his equipment if reloads are used. And has nothing to do with guns blowing up. I was just looking for clarity

Yes, it appears that it was equipment related and not related to the threat of someone injuring themselves on a hot load, but that is just my assumption based on his statement.

There are many insurance companies out there and there are MANY ranges that allow reloads

Dont be duped by an owner trying to capitalize on selling his own ammo for profit

Guns blow up even with factory labeled ammo,heck it happened to me on a 22 last year (GSG1911)

Reloads are not only all I use but more accurate than the factory mass produced stuff you buy

in other words...BOYCOTT

Edited by SonnyCrockett

There are many insurance companies out there and there are MANY ranges that allow reloads

Dont be duped by an owner trying to capitalize on selling his own ammo for profit

Guns blow up even with factory labeled ammo,heck it happened to me on a 22 last year (GSG1911)

Reloads are not only all I use but more accurate than the factory mass produced stuff you buy

in other words...BOYCOTT

He said you do not have to buy HIS ammo he sells..

• Like 1