Firearms & State Parks

Guest aknut

I've noticed a few states parks in my area, Frozen Head as an example do not allow firearms in their park. Which is fine I guess, it's their call.

But I have not seen any regulations about carrying a firearm while out hiking on trails like the Cumberland Trail or just hiking off the map like I like to do.

The idea of being unarmed and in the middle of nowhere doesn't really appeal to me...plus it's great to do some target practice.

Any idea on how people feel about that here? I'm used to being able to park off a forest service road or dirt road and have some fun target shooting and

also used to carrying when I'm out hiking.

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Like peejman said, State Parks are good to go. The law was revised a few years ago to make them that way, but there was no money alloted to remake the signs, so the SPs are allowed to keep them up until time to replace them. Just ignore that part and carry on.

National Parks are good to go except for any building that is posted or where a park employee (not just any old contractor like most gift shops/snack bars) is a regular fixture. They're pretty consistent with their postings though, so just look for the gunbuster.

National Forest land is good to go.

Other federal property (TVA, Corps of Engineers, etc.) is officially a no-go, but there is some fluidity in how the agency in charge chooses to enforce that (loosely in some cases, stringently in others).

Edited by monkeylizard

Yes, by law, if you have a carry permit, you can carry in state parks, even if there is a sign at the entrance that says no firearms. I go to Frozen Head frequently and I know the sign you speak of. It does not apply to permit holders.

Edited by bkelm18

... I don't think you can carry inside park buildings that are properly posted....

Applies to national parks but not state parks.

No weapons noticies on national park buildings do not have to conform to TN posting statute, since they are there as per federal law.

- OS

Edited by OhShoot

I am just waiting to see when they old signs are naturally replaced due to age and decay if they are replaced with out the No Firearms or if they will try to sneak that back in on a new sign.

Serious for anyone with out a permit, the law of the land is no firearms(or you are going armed), so having it on a sign is redundant. (not talking about places they chose to post gun busters just for those of us with HCP.)

They're supposed to replace them as needed and not have the "No firearms" part any longer.

I just returned from Chickasaw S.P.. they have the "No firearms" at the front entrance, so that's a no-brainer to carry past. The entrance to each of the 3 camping areas has a "no firearms" AND a gunbuster. Can someone cite the law that says carry is OK in State Parks? If not, I suspect that gunbuster would still apply.

Can someone cite the law that says carry is OK in State Parks? If not, I suspect that gunbuster would still apply.

'Cmon, all carry laws have been posted who knows how many time -- much as you've posted re TCA stuff, you should be able to do it yourself.

http://www.lexisnexi...ttopics/tncode/

39-17-13 section

Hint: The one that says "Carrying weapons on public parks, playgrounds, civic centers and other public recreational buildings and grounds".

- OS

Edited by OhShoot

Thanks. It's 39-17-1311.

I was searching Lexis for "state parks" and didn't find it.

I see in 39-17-1359 ( f) that it doesn't apply to state parks and that they are governed by -1311, so that confirms that even the gunbuster signs are not applicable in state parks.

There ya go. I never had much luck with searching that damn frames based format btw.

Even without the mention in 1359, though, 1311 is clear in that only city/county parks may bar permit holders. And of course the penalties for violation of the two are different also.

- OS

Edited by OhShoot
  • 3 weeks later...

I've noticed a few states parks in my area, Frozen Head as an example do not allow firearms in their park. Which is fine I guess, it's their call.

But I have not seen any regulations about carrying a firearm while out hiking on trails like the Cumberland Trail or just hiking off the map like I like to do.

The idea of being unarmed and in the middle of nowhere doesn't really appeal to me...plus it's great to do some target practice.

Any idea on how people feel about that here? I'm used to being able to park off a forest service road or dirt road and have some fun target shooting and

also used to carrying when I'm out hiking.

I carry to when I go ride .. I go where bears are.. so I understand that

BUT....

Am not a treehugger or anything but if you going to do some target practice.. please do not do that in a state park.

Many reasons...and its ilegal..