AR 15 to .22 conversion question

gunwhatgun

I have a conversion bolt for my M&P15. I played with it for the first time today. I did not switch optics from the ones I use for the .556 bolt, I figured at 50 yard it would be kind of close and I could just compensate. So here is the question. Are all .22 conversions amazingly inacurate, or do I just have a dud? I knew the optics would be off ,but damn. it was throwing lead all over the place. At one point I just shot looked for the hole and then aimed at the same spot I did on the first shot and the hit would be 180 degrees off. Is this normal??

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I have the CMMG kit in stainless and have tried it in both my S&W MP15 Sport and my DPMS.It definately is more accurate in the DPMS.The bolt functioned 100% in both rifles,so thats good.The Smith was shooting about a 2 inch group at 40 yards,whereas the DPMS was around 1 inch

The CMMG kit I shoot is about 2" or a little more at 25 yards with the CCI Mini-Mag ammo. I've never bothered to try any other brands.

I've only shot about 125 rounds through the rifle and so far it has worked 100%. It does get the lower VERY dirty and kind sucks to clean the trigger parts.

I shoot it from a Windham Arms Carbine 16" barrel 1/9 twist Chrome lined. Maybe it is your barrel or maybe it's the ammo?

I do hope you find the problem as it is alot cheaper to shoot .22 than 5.56

The problem is the kits swage the bulets down to a .221" diameter. Most rimfires start out with a larger bullet diameter than centerfire bullets so they should shoot well. I have taken centerfire barrels and made rimfire barrels out of them and they shot fine.

This explains it all:

http://www.tngunowners.com/forums/topic/49124-why-your-ar-conversion-wont-shoot-accurately/page__hl__conversion

Dolomite