Truck owner shoots at suspects stealing his truck at WalMart in Chattanooga

The only way this could be justified is if the thieves were trying to run over the guy or an innocent party. He does have a carry permit. Not Smart.

http://www.wrcbtv.com/story/19515043/truck-stolen-suspects-fired-upon-at-walmart

CHATTANOOGA, TN (WRCB) -- A man left his truck keys on a counter at the WalMart on Brainerd Road Tuesday afternoon, where they were picked up by another man who stole his truck.

The suspect took the keys to the Wal-Mart parking lot, where he used the keyless entry fob to find and open the silver 2010 Ford F-150 truck. The suspect and another female suspect left in the truck.

The truck's owner, a licensed handgun carry permit holder, discovered his vehicle being stolen and fired on the suspects.

Chattanooga Police Department's PIO Nathan Hartwig said "If you're shooting someone because they are stealing, no, you are not justified in that shooting. But as long as a person can articulate that they were in fear they are going to be seriously hurt or killed or someone else is going to be seriously hurt or killed, then you have the right to shoot at that suspect."

The male suspect is described as a white male, 20-30 years old, average build, dark hair and wearing a black t-shirt with a large "T."

In addition, a second possible suspect, who is described as a white female, 18-25 years old, and wearing a t-shirt adorned with the Sesame Street character "Elmo" who may have left the parking lot in the truck.

A large portion of the WalMart lot was closed as crime scene investigators process the scene and evidence, leaving a large group of customers stuck inside the megaspore, unable to access their vehicles to leave.

The news prompted the lock down of nearby Spring Creek Elementary School as a precautionary measure. The school was reopened shortly afterwards once the threat level was determined to be mitigated.

Stay with Channel 3 Eyewitness News for more on this story.

He just wanted a reason to destroy his junky Ford.

So you are saying, it was not shooting at the suspects but rather his own truck in which they where trespassing?

Going serious, yea he should have known better.

I remember seeing on TV, a study that said if you pulled up to an ER and tossed your keys to a random person, you would probably get a good person willing to park your car while you take care of the emergency

Seems laying his keys down on a counter and walking off, he found a person of very questionable nature very easy.

I bet the suspect also has a record.

Chattanooga Police Department's PIO Nathan Hartwig said "If you're shooting someone because they are stealing, no, you are not justified in that shooting. . . . But as long as a person can articulate that they were in fear they are going to be seriously hurt or killed or someone else is going to be seriously hurt or killed, then you have the right to shoot at that suspect."

The Police PIO just described the secret code words. Take the hint.

• Like 2

Seems like the police are considering it a justified shooting... and his rounds didn't hit anybody else... I don't see why everybody is unhappy with the outcome?

We have no idea how far away he was when the shooting took place, or any other details... clearly it doesn't appear the HCP holder was charged with a crime.

Seems like the police are considering it a justified shooting... and his rounds didn't hit anybody else... I don't see why everybody is unhappy with the outcome?

We have no idea how far away he was when the shooting took place, or any other details... clearly it doesn't appear the HCP holder was charged with a crime.

He will...

least he will get is discharging a firearm in puplic..IF he is.lucky..

they need.to charge him with being a dumbass

Yeah, this is what I'm thinking. I mean, how close was he when this happened? What were the circumstances? I don't think the article tells enough here to condemn the guy as a lunatic. I've noticed that many of the shootings like this where a citizen engages a fleeing criminal, the cops have not pressed charges. Not that it makes it justified in the legal or "armchair quarterback" sense, but it goes to show the amount of leeway given to folks by law enforcement. For all we know, he attempted to stop them and they tried to run him down. I have no intention of standing by while my property is taken. If the perpetrators use force to prevent me from retaking my property I'm gonna use force back. What's mine is mine, and I have yet to see a law that states I have an obligation to hand my property over to criminals.

I have no intention of standing by while my property is taken. If the perpetrators use force to prevent me from retaking my property I'm gonna use force back. What's mine is mine, and I have yet to see a law that states I have an obligation to hand my property over to criminals.

Words to live by. Especially being that having struggled to get everything one has just to sit back and let it be taken. And "just let them go at least you have your life" as others always say. Well anyways.........

Hope it turns out well for the truck owner.

Words to live by. Especially being that having struggled to get everything one has just to sit back and let it be taken. And "just let them go at least you have your life" as others always say. Well anyways.........

Hope it turns out well for the truck owner.

Haha, what's funny here is that "what's mine is mine" is a direct quote from Walter Sobchek. I've used it ever since the first time I saw the movie, which, by the way, Walter is my favorite character in any movie ever. He nailed that part so well.

• Like 1
Guest Travtastik
That walmart is a wee bit scary most of the time. Nothing you can point at, just a vibe from the number of people that just seem to hang out there (not shopping, just milling about).

+1 on the vibe. I think it's all the homeless people. I have been there between 3 and 5 am and there are people sleeping on the benches and have seen people sleeping in folding chairs in the camping section. I asked a cashier about she said they are fine as long as they don't start begging or bothering shoppers. Last time I was there was November so it may be different now.

House keys, gun safe keys, firebox keys, motorcycle keys, boat keys, etc are all on my key chain.

I am not sure if I would have fired directly at the theives, but I might have tried to disable my truck so that the clowns couldn't go take everything I owned with all of the keys they possessed.

Say what you want. Witnesses said they heard 5 shots. The truck has been recovered with shots in the tailgate, metal frail behind pass anger headrest and possibly windshield. Looks like he hit what he was aiming for.

No he should not shoot at someone stealing property, unless truck was headed right at him. But I hope he does not face charges.

be nice to ford, they made me a lot of money :P

$2 -> $10 jump I think during the auto bailout, all the way to 15 over a longer period but I got in and out pretty quickly.

Bought at $2 and keeping it until $30. Show me da :2cents:!

House keys, gun safe keys, firebox keys, motorcycle keys, boat keys, etc are all on my key chain.

And the home address is on the registration in the glove box.....

Edited by monkeylizard
Guest BungieCord

Title 39 Criminal Offenses

Chapter 11 General Provisions

Part 6 Justification Excluding Criminal Responsibility

Tenn. Code Ann. § 39-11-614 (2012)

39-11-614. Protection of property.

(C ) Unless a person is justified in using deadly force as otherwise provided by law, a person is not justified in using deadly force to prevent or terminate the other's trespass on real estate or unlawful interference with personal property.

Edited by BungieCord