Kimber Ultra CDP II

jimmydeuce

Any Ultra CDP II owners here? I ran across a used one in good shape today I'm thinking about buying. No dings or scratches on it, sights still bright, very little wear and was told about 500 rounds through it. Just wanted to know the likes/dislikes anybody has on them. I've really not checked prices on used Kimbers before, would something in the $800-$850 range be a decent deal?

I've had one for about 7 yrs.

Never had any problems with it. Carry it several times a week (that 8 oz. weight difference vs, steel is significant after 6 or 8 hrs.)

I believe I paid about that much new at Benton Shooters. It was my first Kimber. The accuracy impressed me so much I bought a few more Kimbers since.

Never had any problems with any of them.

I have the 4 inch model and I love it. I didn't go with the 3 inch just because it was too small for me. I have a buddy that carries the 3 inch and he seems to dig it just fine. $800 is a very fair price considering the MSRP being around $1200, so long as the used one isn't tore up. Buying used is the way to go on these higher end guns that retail for a lot. I mean, if you buy it new it's going to be used after you shoot it anyway; why not just buy it used and save a few hundred bucks? Besides, Kimber recommends a few hundred rounds be run through it to break it in first, so the previous owner has already done that for you at his expense!

The only thing I don't like about it is the finish on the receiver. It scratches waaay to easy, which is a pain since I carry mine all the time. Bumping into stuff scratches it too easy. I can even see marks on it from my wedding ring. If the one you're looking at is free from scratches that means he probably didn't use it much.

Thanks. I went ahead and bought it yesterday. The guy who traded it in happened to be in the shop yesterday when I was there. He said he carried it for about 3 months and then put it in the safe. Gonna try and hit the range today and see how it shoots. New VZ grips are on the way (hate the grips that are on it), need to decide on a holster and get one ordered. Here's a crappy cell pic before I gave it a good cleaning.

DSC00812.jpg

Edited by jimmydeuce
  • Like 1

I've had mine for a few years now with zero problems. Like you, I put VZ grips on mine and it made a big difference in my grip. I recently put a set of XS Big Dot sights on it (not shown) and I'm having a heck of a time adapting to them, I'm shooting all over the place?

The only thing I'm not crazy about is the small recoil spring replacement, what a pain!

VZI.jpg

Not sure what method of carry you are looking at, but if you are looking for a highly concealable OWB Leather kit for it, IMO that thing deserves a Milt Sparks Axiom. Most concealable and comfortable OWB holster I've encountered.

I've got an IWB that will be here today but haven't decided on an OWB yet. Glad you mentioned the Axiom, it's a great looking holster.