How do we make this happen in TN?

From the Louisiana Dept. of Revenue

Hunters and campers will pay no sales tax on firearms, ammunition, and hunting supplies during the Louisiana Second Amendment Weekend Tax Holiday Sept 7 through Sept. 9. During these three days, eligible purchases are exempt from the four percent state sales tax and all local sales taxes.

The exemption applies to a wide range of supplies, including:

• Shotguns, rifles, pistols, revolvers or other handguns

• Ammunition intended to be fired from a gun or firearm

• Accessories designed to be used for hunting

• Apparel such as safety gear, camouflage clothing, jackets, hats, gloves, mittens, face masks and thermal underwear for use while hunting

• Off-road vehicles such as all-terrain vehicles designed for hunting. The exemption does not apply to golf carts, bikes, motorcycles, tractors, or motor vehicles that may be legally driven on highways.

Visit www.revenue.louisiana.gov/secondamendment for more information, including the full list of eligible items, excluded items and special provisions.

Go Louisiana!!!

How about we get rid of the unconstitutional TICS and special ammo taxes we have to pay?

From the Louisiana Dept. of Revenue

Hunters and campers will pay no sales tax on firearms, ammunition, and hunting supplies during the Louisiana Second Amendment Weekend Tax Holiday Sept 7 through Sept. 9. During these three days, eligible purchases are exempt from the four percent state sales tax and all local sales taxes.

The exemption applies to a wide range of supplies, including:

• Shotguns, rifles, pistols, revolvers or other handguns

• Ammunition intended to be fired from a gun or firearm

• Accessories designed to be used for hunting

• Apparel such as safety gear, camouflage clothing, jackets, hats, gloves, mittens, face masks and thermal underwear for use while hunting

• Off-road vehicles such as all-terrain vehicles designed for hunting. The exemption does not apply to golf carts, bikes, motorcycles, tractors, or motor vehicles that may be legally driven on highways.

Visit www.revenue.louisiana.gov/secondamendment for more information, including the full list of eligible items, excluded items and special provisions.

Go Louisiana!!!

• Like 1

Have the NRA add it to the guns in parking lot bill.

After they thumped Debra Maggart I suspect that bill will sail through the 2013 legislature no matter what the Chamber of Commerce wants.

What's wrong with the ammo tax? That just goes to the TWRA for wildlife conservation as I've heard it, and if that's true then I have no problem with it.

1. It's unconstitutional (as in the state constitution)

2. TWRA should get all of it's money from hunting licenses (and don't even get me started on those).

You should look at the waste and fraud inside the TWRA's budget... and while should I as a sports shooter be paying for the TWRA... I get no benefit from the TWRA since I don't hunt. If the TWRA can't operating on the revenue from hunting licenses then maybe we should get rid of the TWRA?

Guest BungieCord

The obvious answer is you've got to enlist a state legislator who's willing to sponsor the bill. If you happen to live in Tennessee's 21st Senatorial District, Doug Henry is your man. He sponsors more pro-gun legislation than just about everybody else put together. And he's a Democrat!!!

1. It's unconstitutional (as in the state constitution)

2. TWRA should get all of it's money from hunting licenses (and don't even get me started on those).

You should look at the waste and fraud inside the TWRA's budget... and while should I as a sports shooter be paying for the TWRA... I get no benefit from the TWRA since I don't hunt. If the TWRA can't operating on the revenue from hunting licenses then maybe we should get rid of the TWRA?

At least two of the best outdoor ranges are TWRA ranges and have nothing to do with "hunting"...you may not use them but saying that TWRA only benefits hunters and should get all its funding from hunting licenses is a significant oversimplification.

As far as the waste and fraud; to you have any facts you could share on that?

I also don't understand how ammo tax is "unconstitutional"???

How's that?

That the citizens of this State have a right to keep and to bear arms for their common defense; but the Legislature shall have power, by law, to regulate the wearing of arms with a view to prevent crime.

Ammo is an arm just like the gun you use to shoot it... The Legislature is limited to only regulating the wearing of arms, not to purchasing of said arms... By imposing a special ammo tax they are further regulating the purchasing of arms....

Great, if the TWRA wants to have ranges, fine, support them with range fees or with excess money from permits and licenses. Why should I have to pay tax dollars (a special ammo tax) to support a range I never use?

First, if there is a government program that hands out 'grant' money, there is always waste and fraud... It's waste by it's very nature...

I've explained my crazy thinking on the tax above.

At least two of the best outdoor ranges are TWRA ranges and have nothing to do with "hunting"...you may not use them but saying that TWRA only benefits hunters and should get all its funding from hunting licenses is a significant oversimplification.

As far as the waste and fraud; to you have any facts you could share on that?

I also don't understand how ammo tax is "unconstitutional"???

Great, if the TWRA wants to have ranges, fine, support them with range fees or with excess money from permits and licenses. Why should I have to pay tax dollars (a special ammo tax) to support a range I never use?

First, if there is a government program that hands out 'grant' money, there is always waste and fraud... It's waste by it's very nature...

I've explained my crazy thinking on the tax above.

I'd say your thinking on the constitutionality of a sales tax on ammo is a stretch at best. A tax is a tax; the only kind that is unconstitutional in Tennessee is an income tax (at least it's supposed to be).

So...you are just assuming there is waste and fraud...alleging waste and fraud is a pretty serious allegation with no evidence to back it up. Any organization can become more efficient than it is but that doesn't mean that the organization is guilty of waste and fraud.

I for one am happy to have the ranges just like I'm glad we have roads and bridges; even the ones I've never used. :)

You pay property tax whether you have kids in school or drive or call the fire department, or ....

I'd say the constitutionality is more in the realm of tax levy than firearms in this case.

However, I do believe the TICS is likely unconstitutional since it's not called a tax -- and clearly the unlawful carry/HCP statutes are since they have nothing to do with "regulating crime", except in the sense that TN makes criminals out of otherwise law abiding citizens for packing without having a permit.

- OS

Edited by OhShoot
  • Like 1

While I don't want to get into a general tax discussion... There is no limit to the legislatures power to regulate or tax land or property in the state constitution.

There is on the other hand such a limitation on regulation of arms, don't in 1870 arms meant the firearm, powder, and ball.

Maybe the general sales tax which applies to everything isn't unconstitutional... But the special ammo tax is just as uncontitutional as TICS.

You pay property tax whether you have kids in school or drive or call the fire department, or ....

I'd say the constitutionality is more in the realm of tax levy than firearms in this case.

However, I do believe the TICS is likely unconstitutional since it's not called a tax -- and clearly the unlawful carry/HCP statutes are since they have nothing to do with "regulating crime", except in the sense that TN makes criminals out of otherwise law abiding citizens for packing without having a permit.

- OS