Judge orders Marine Brandon Raub released from hospital

Guest AmericanWorkMule

Guest AmericanWorkMule

DALLAS, August 23rd, 2012 - After a special hearing today, Circuit Judge W. Allan Sharret declared the commitment order granted to federal authorities for Brandon Raub’s arrest and detainment was invalid.

Raub, the 26-year-old former Marine, pro-liberty activist and Virginia resident, was seized by FBI, Secret Service and local authorities over Facebook posts allegedly “terrorist in natureâ€.

http://communities.washingtontimes.com/neighborhood/citizen-warrior/2012/aug/23/judge-orders-brandon-raub-released-hospital/

You all better watch your mouths, or the same thing can happen to you.

The fact that he was released will not prevent this very same thing from happening to countless other U.S. Citizens on a daily basis.

Those with the authority to make such decisions don't really have to answer to anyone, and there certainly aren't any consequences to fear.

I suspect we are seeing pieces of the Patriot Act being dismantled a piece at a time. I dont expect that the real details of all this will come out; but it appears that the First Amendment won here. This one will be interesting to watch if it goes any further on either side.

leroy

• Like 1

He was talking about cutting off heads and starting an armed revolution. At what point do we expect law enforcement to identify a threat before intervening? I don't feel bad for him. I don't think this is "big brother" either.

• Like 1

He was talking about cutting off heads and starting an armed revolution. At what point do we expect law enforcement to identify a threat before intervening? I don't feel bad for him. I don't think this is "big brother" either.

Did he actually cut off anyone's head or take up arms against the government? Once upon a time, you actually had to initiate an illegal action before getting a visit from the tax feeders.

If I say the word "bomb" at the airport, does that mean I'm going to blow up a plane?

Edited by DaddyO

Did he actually cut off anyone's head or take up arms against the government? Once upon a time, you actually had to initiate an illegal action before getting a visit from the tax feeders.

If I say the word "bomb" at the airport, does that mean I'm going to blow up a plane?

Okay, so if someone says they are going to kill you then the police should wait until the person does it before intervening?

He wasn't arrested, by the way. He was committed for being a loon.

• Like 2

If they threaten me directly, no.

Whom did Raub directly threaten?

Making generalized threats in the manner he did is why he was committed and not charged. If you say, "I'm gonna head down to the mall and shoot a bunch of folks", you won't be charged with assault, but you will probably be taken into custody and evaluated. That isn't about free speech, that is about being a clear and present danger to others. I get that it could be subjective, but I'm not going to sweat it until folks other than raving lunatics start getting rolled up. For now, it appears to be limited to those who are nuts.

• Like 2

I'm just curious if you'd be quite so supportive if his name was Mohammed Sharif and he was talking about cutting off the heads of infidels at the local mall? I suspect a few of the people who are crying big brother would be singing a different tune.

• Like 4

Lots of people are arrested and/or committed and later released. Even hardened felons find themselves being released after being caught "red handed".

Such is the nature of the legal system beast. It's all about the price one is willing to spend on a lawyer, legal loopholes and evidence dismissals.

This guy is a loon. He made open threats of killing people and taking up arms against the government.

It's really no surprise to me that he's getting the support that he is because of the latter. There's a helluva lot of folks that have wet dreams of a revolution.

They may be too scared to do it themselves.... but they'll by golly support anyone else that want's to start it... unless his last name in unpronounceable, that is.

Edited by strickj

Do we have any public evidence of these pronouncements made by this guy; or are they second-handed accounts? Remember, the Right Reverend Louis Farahakhan and the Rev. Jeremiah Wright has said some pretty heinous things. I remember some sixties hippies (....now they are polititians...) that said some pretty bad stuff. Wonder if they will be "evaluated"?

Think about it a bit.

leroy

I suspect we are seeing pieces of the Patriot Act being dismantled a piece at a time. I dont expect that the real details of all this will come out; but it appears that the First Amendment won here. This one will be interesting to watch if it goes any further on either side.

leroy

I sure hope we see the dismantling of the Patriot Act in my lifetime. In my mind it's the single most scary thing our Government has ever done to us.

LMAO, try saying it loud enough for the wrong person to hear you say it, and see what happens!!!

If you see Jack at the airport, tell him I said "Hi"

So, we should all just put on our tin foil hats and...

Wait.

You mean it is true? The government really did illegally arrest and detain an American citizen for things that he said/posted? And they really did so without any charges? Just like they have done to the 'terrorists' in Gitmo? Wow. So maybe folks who don't entirely, 100% believe that the government wouldn't do something like this are wrong?

Seems there was another group of folks in this country that did a lot of talking about an armed revolution a couple of centuries back. So, would you say that they were just nutjobs, too?

I'm not all that familiar with the things this guy said, posted and so on and so I am not directly equating him with the likes of George Washington, Thomas Jefferson nor am I necessarily supporting or agreeing with his statements. However, I don't think that anyone here would argue that - in the case of those ol' militia boys back in the 1700s - an armed revolution was 'wrong' or 'insane' - so why is it that someone who suggests the same thing now is simply a nutjob? Because the government says so? Because it is easier than believing that maybe our current government really is broken beyond repair?

Edited by JAB