Tent Camping and Fishing

Hey guys, my girlfriend and I are going on a one night camping trip on the 22nd of this month. She's going for the experience and the hiking. I think that's great. But to me, camping without fishing doesn't feel right. Ideally, I would like to hike around or to a lake, fish and camp near the water's edge. That night, we build a fire and hopefully grill some fresh caught fish. Any suggestions?

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh Oh I know! The Obed Wild and Scenic River! Imagine crystal clear emerald green waters at the bottom of a huge rock canyon. The Obed River, The Emory River, Clear Creek, Daddys Creek. One of the most beautiful places in the state. The waters yield some excellent fishing. Call the rangers in Wartburg or call Dave Englebretsen at Frozenhead State Park. Frozenhead offers free firewood courtesy of the local prison farm.

http://www.nps.gov/obed/index.htm

I'll be trying Chickasaw State Park later this month. About 2.5 hrs west of Nashville. It has a lake with fish and a separate tent camping area,so you're not pitched next to an RV. Limited hiking in the park, but it's adjacent to Chickasaw State Forest with lots of trails. It also has a horse stable where you can hire out some horses for a trail ride.

http://tn.gov/enviro...arks/Chickasaw/

No fishing, but the primitive camp sites at Frozen Head are pretty great. They're along a creek bank. Several trails of all difficulties too.

Edited by monkeylizard

Lots of opportunities in Tennessee. Are both of you experienced backpackers? Big South Fork has some good options. Land Between the Lakes is good too, much flatter, but much less "wild". How many miles do you want to hike?

3-4 miles in. 6-8 round trip. She's not very expereinced at all. I am pretty decent, but no les stroud. I completely forgot about LBTL.

It has taken a lot of convincing to try and get my wife to go camping with me! Congrats! I offer this....if you want her to go back with you, its not about your idea of fun but hers. Focus on her and making her happy and comfortable. I will neither confirm nor deny that I have taken favorite alcoholic beverages while camping but if it makes it feel more like home it is more likely that she will enjoy it. Also, take some awesome food. I'm talking a cooler full of breakfast burritos, OJ, sandwiches, mac and cheese, hot dogs, anything that is tasty! Take plenty of water, camp furniture, a radio, comfy cots or sleeping pads, pillow, lanterns, firewood, smores....make it like the Ritz Carlton and she will likely want to go back. Since you are car camping, weight is not an issue so take as much as you want! Probably the biggest thing that can ruin a great camping trip is the weather! So make sure the weather is nice and comfy. Good luck!

I tried taking my wife camping. My every waking hour was spent making sure she had a good time. We camped at Frozenhead, which has excellent tent sights and a bath house neer by and free firewood. I didn't have fun and she didn't like camping. BUT. It is worth a try. Some people just need to get exposed to camping and they love it.

LBL has some low impact trails that are easy hiking with good lake side camping opportunities. If you want better views, with less fishing, check out Big South Fork. If you go to BSF, just go to the welcome station and tell them how far you want to go and how long you want to be gone. They will help you map a route.

I'll be trying Chickasaw State Park later this month. About 2.5 hrs west of Nashville. It has a lake with fish and a separate tent camping area,so you're not pitched next to an RV. Limited hiking in the park, but it's adjacent to Chickasaw State Forest with lots of trails. It also has a horse stable where you can hire out some horses for a trail ride.

http://tn.gov/enviro...arks/Chickasaw/

No fishing, but the primitive camp sites at Frozen Head are pretty great. They're along a creek bank. Several trails of all difficulties too.

I would put Big Hill Pond State Park high up on your priority list if you have not been there already! I go there every year in February for an annual backpacking trip with my fraternity brothers and it is always a blast!

Guest Riverrat

We will be at Pickwick in a couple of weeks. Camping at the tail race. Lot of BS from a catfish site. New rules at the campground, may want to go to COE and read the rules. New rules on pets, so we will leave our collars, leashes, whips and chains at home.

Guest bkelm18

What is this "free firewood at Frozen Head" you are talking about? I thought it was just scavenge whatever dead stuff was on the ground. Do they have free stuff up at the main building?

There is a shed near the entrance of the campground. That is where it is, supposedly. I've honestly never seen any free firewood there and I go a few times a year.