Bcm bcg auto...help

Guest bigbluedodge03

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

BCM and YHM are top brands. The BCM is actually tested under fire. Brands can and do matter sometimes

Brands most definitely matter in terms of quality, what I was saying as in regards to compatibility.

bigbluedodge, just saw your post and wanted to throw some insight your way. MilSpec parts are just that, manufactured to very tight military specified tolerances. In theory, you could take an LMT bolt, YHM bolt, BCM bolt, or any other brand, AR15 carrier or M16 carrier, throw it in a new rifle and it will work. On used rifles, headspace is key (I check new and used to be safe). The headspace trouble most will run into is when they have fired 50k rounds through their AR and decide to rebarrel their upper (or sell it to some unsuspecting person). With the repeated unlocking, extracting, ejecting, cocking, feeding, chambering, and locking of the original bolt, wear tolerances of both the lugs in the barrel extension and the lugs on the bolt have worn to match each other. If you put that particular bolt into your rifle and don't check headspace, the tolerances might not be close enough resulting in excessive chamber pressure releasing in an undesireable location. Once you break in a bolt and barrel try to leave them as a set. I say all this to welcome you to the AR world, the lego kit for grown ups. These things are addictive, lol. Most AR internals and lowers are manufactured by the same company, just with a different brand roll mark, so the tolerances are pretty good across the brands.

Milspec is actually not a high standard, is is a low standard. Kind of like making a "D" on a report card, it is good enough to pass. And those who make "milspec" guns are going to do what is required to pass and nothing more.

Also, just because something isn't milspec doesn't mean it is junk, just means it doesn't meet the criteria for the military's standard for that item. Magpul magazines are NOT milspec or at least not yet. Noveske barrels are NOT milspec. Monolithic uppers are NOT milspec. The majority of muzzle brakes and flash hiders out there are NOT milspec. The majority of the furniture for AR's is NOT milspec. The majority of BUIS's are NOT milspec. Melonite treatment is leaps and bounds above chrome lining for both durability and corrosion resistance. It is NOT MILSPEC, at least not yet.

And the list goes on and on. But as I said milspec is the minimum standard for the military and doesn't means something is junk because it isn't milspec. It just means is is not part of the TDP.

And any maker out there can say it is milspec even though it isn't and as long as the military isn't the buyer they have done nothing wrong legally. And I honestly believe there are makers who intentionally mislead people by using the milspec term like "turbo" was the catch phraze of the 90's. Also what is funny is the mispec standard for government rifles is not public knowledge, only those who actually HAVE a government contract to produce them have the milspec "technical data package" in writing. And any maker who is going to use the TDP must sign a non disclosure agreement before receiving it. All other makers making guns to "milspec" are just guessing. And there are very few who have the M16/M4 TDP, Colt, FN and now Remington. And as a matter of fact Colt is no longer the supplier of M4's to the government, Remington beat them, as well as 4 other bidders, in the recent contract bid for 24,000 rifles. So we are about to see Remington be the gun our troops are carrying rather than Colt.

And if you think Colt's are MILSPEC many are not. There are thousands of commercial Colt AR's out ther that DO NOT meet milspec standards. Every single large pin Colt AR is not milspec. And I do believe milspec for the FCG pins is .155" but a lot of rifles that Colt made commercially have .170" pins to prevent installation of FA parts. Check a COLT AR FCG pins and if they are .170" then it isn't milspec. And along with Colt's choice to use .170" FCG pins came a huge reduction in the selection of aftermarket triggers and hammers available.

Also, loose headspace will not result in excessive pressure. It will result in a lower chamber pressure. Excessive headspace is still a dangerous situation but not from excessive pressures. It is from an unsupported case head.

Most lower parts as well as lowers themselves are not made by the same company. Now there are less forges that actually forge the lowers than the companies finish machining the lower but the final machining is done by more than a single maker. There are probably hundreds of makers now with all the modern CNC equipment. There are a few final maching facilities that make several different brands but there are still plenty of "independent" makers of lowers and LPKS. Take a look at three different branded kits and you will find seperate forge marks on the hammers and triggers. The springs will also be finished differently. This is because there are so many suppliers right now.

Dolomite

Guest bigbluedodge03

thanks for all the good info guys. i have enjoyed researching and ordering parts. now, i have all parts. a few parts are on the way still. i went with yhm upper/lower, bcm bcg, daniel defense barrel, yhm gas block and free float handguard, magpul ctr and angled foregrip in foliage green. any suggestions on magazines? what works best for you guys?

thanks for all the good info guys. i have enjoyed researching and ordering parts. now, i have all parts. a few parts are on the way still. i went with yhm upper/lower, bcm bcg, daniel defense barrel, yhm gas block and free float handguard, magpul ctr and angled foregrip in foliage green. any suggestions on magazines? what works best for you guys?

As long as you don't use them in extremely cold weather, you can't go wrong with magpul pmags.

I had my eye on those. what about the aluminum military looking mags? i know they cost less but are they worth buying?

That are not just military looking amgs they are the mags the military uses. If Magpul mags were better the military would be using them.

There is ZERO wrong with using aluminum mags. I have been using them for decades. Polymer mags I have had issues with. Not specifically Magpul but the reason they have dust covers is to keep the feed lips from being forced out of shape from keeping them loaded all the time. I have found aluminum mags that were loaded for 20+ years and still ran 100% reliably.

Dolomite

If Magpul mags were better the military would be using them.

Hahaha... weren't you in the military at some point? I think this is the first time I've ever disagreed with something you've posted. Remember the Army procurement motto:

"Nothing is too good for our Soldiers, so "nothing" is what they're gonna get!"

But seriously, just about everyone from SF, Rangers, flightline POGs and mail clerks use PMAGs in Afghanistan now. Before I left the Army PMAGs were a unit issue for my last two trips to Iraq. Units are buying up PMAGs, and the ones that aren't are either using opfund or paying out of pocket. The military in general surely is not on the cutting edge of what is best for the troops. For example, when I first came in the only eye pro that was issued were dust goggles from WWII or BCGs, and man, I sure thought I was cool when I put those shaded inserts in there. God forbid you put on some Oakleys... that would be cause for some elevated, strong grunt exercises to the tune of "you think you're f-ing Delta or something troop???" Then, all of a sudden, Oakleys are being issued in RFIs to line grunts and are a requirement just to zero your rifle. PMAGs are coming out in the same way. I still have a box with all my old Army garbage in it and have a couple of dozen aluminum mags that are toast from getting beat up too much on rotation. I've never had a PMAG fail due to torture.

Yes, you are right. I spouted off at the mouth. The military procurement system sucks and that is why they are not being issued, not because the soldiers do not want or need them. I just wish our soldiers were allowed to use what worked, be it Pmags or anything else that might help them win the fight.

Pmags are not bad but I also believe that aluminum mags are not bad either. I have been hearing how aluminum mags are worthless from local Pmag fan boys. Honestly is has become a case of blah, blah, blah is all I hear anymore when they rant about why I am using those worthless aluminum mags. I think aluminum mags are comparable as far as reliability. Yes aluminum mags are not without issues but so are polymer mags. Magpul has made leaps and bounds as to the reliability and durability of their polymer mags compared to early plastic mags.

What sucks worse is the fact you can't use it unless it is approved even if you bought it. I can't tell you how many times I spent money on stuff that was way better than I was issued only to be told to leave it behind.

Dolomite

Guest bigbluedodge03

I'll probably buy several of each either way. also, ill try to post pics of my build tomorrow. gas block and handguard are supposed to be here tomorrow. the last 2 pieces im waiting on aside from a flip up rear sight and mags.

We've been allowed to use PMags for quite a while. Units have been ordering them for quite a while. I was issued PMags in '09. We were not the only unit, not by a long shot. Units continue to issue them.

Even with that hissy fit TACOM threw (and rightly had their collar jerked over), pmags are still ordered/issued.