Sig P290 vs Ruger LCR vs Taurus TCP 380 pocket gun PHOTOS

Tennjed

I have not seen many comparision photos showing the Sig P290 ((9MM) so I thought I would showsome comparision pics of my new Sig P290 9mm and a couple of other small guns I have. These photos are with a Ruger LCR (.22lr but same size as a 357 LCR) and a Tuarus TCP 738 380acp.

It is a little bit smaller than the LCR and a little bit bigger than the TCP. The only major differences are the Sig is heavier than both and both are quite a bit wider than the TCP. But keep inmind the TCP is a 380.

I just got the Sig yesterday and have not got a chance to shoot it, but I have high hopes. It is about as small as you would want a 9mm (IMHO) but heavy enough to control recoil (reviews indicate). but it is in no way too heavy in my opinion. Feels very good in hand. Also comes with a night sights, a (removable) laser and an extra 8rd mag all for under $500

7897657594_df7a89febc_z.jpg

7897656608_1f64b46b80_z.jpg

7897655760_a80ef8bcf2_z.jpg

7897654556_060d22336b_z.jpg

This one is interesting to me. The TCP is on top of the P290

7897655336_78ede2df02_z.jpg

• Like 1

Great comparisons! :)

Let us know how that 290 works out for you. I have yet to really see any positive reviews, and a majority of people that have bought them, resold them just as fast.

Enjoy!

Really, that suprises me a lot. Kinda curious to what reviews you are seeing. the vast majority of what I read was very positive. The original offering had some issues I believe, but the new RS models are getting great reviews everywhere. As a matter of fact, after reading your post I googled "Sig P290 review" and read the first 3 pages. There was not one bad review at all from any publication. Below is a a link and excerpt from everyone of those articles. Most all message board forum post have been very positive also. I have not encountered anyone that has sold one either.

I wanted to post this to clarify to anyone who might be reading and interested in the P290 that the reviews are actually very positive, not negative.

Here are a few for anyone who might be considering the P290

The SIG SAUER P290 made me a better shooter and, if not a better person, at least a happier one. It’s a whole lot of gun for such a little gun. Uncanny out-of-the-box accuracy elevates the P290 into the top tier of subcompact 9mm pistols

http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/2011/07/ralph/gun-review-sig-sauer-p290/

If you are looking for a 9 mm deep-concealment gun, you should consider the SIG P290. But, you can’t just hold the gun in your hand at a local shop—you really have to shoot it to appreciate the brilliance of the design

http://www.shootingillustrated.com/index.php/13926/sig-sauer-p290/

The littlest 9mm pistol from Sig is a good one. I think that the folks at Sig Sauer made to right decision to rework their P290, and the resulting P290RS is one of the best sub-compact 9x19mm pistols currently on the market.

http://gunblast.com/SIG-P290RS.htm/

practice.

A tall order, but based on the sample pistol I tested, the SIG Sauer P290 it hits all these benchmarks. SIG did a good job here with some subtle touches that don’t leap out at first (or even second) glance but greatly contribute to its shooting and handling characteristics.

http://gunsgunsguns.net/sig-sauer-p290/

Summary- Well so far so good. An excellent shooting, attractive looking, quality gun an no complaints thus far other than the dead sights (which is covered) and the price tag, which is my fault for paying it. If your in the market for a tiny 9mm I really like this one

http://tacticalgunreview.com/blog/2011/10/sig-sauer-p290-9mm/

To be honest, I didn't know if I was going to like the P290. As a fan of pocket pistols and deep-concealment firearms, I thought this pistol would be just a little too large to fit the bill. However, as I’ve cleaned it, carried it and shot it, this new SIG Sauer has grown on me. By moving it half a step over from the pocket pistol category to the sub-compact box, it’s clearly a pistol with an exceptional feature set—handling, power level and reliability—for a handgun of its size. I can see the P290 easily taking the place of some of the larger defensive handguns that I like, and possibly some of the smaller ones as well.

http://www.americanrifleman.org/articles/sig-p290-review/

So where does the P290 fit in? Simple. If you want something bigger than a .380, something easy to carry but that won’t pull you under if you hit soft ground, the P290 might be for you. If you are not enamored of cocked-and-locked carry, the P290 would move higher up your list. And if a striker-driven firing system does not set your heart a-pitter-pat, then the DAO of the P290 makes it perfect.

http://So where does the P290 fit in? Simple. If you want something bigger than a .380, something easy to carry but that won’t pull you under if you hit soft ground, the P290 might be for you. If you are not

enamored of cocked-and-locked carry, the P290 would move higher up your list. And if a striker-driven firing system does not set your heart a-pitter-pat, then the DAO of the P290 makes it perfect.

I think Sig will have a big winner.

http://gunblog.com/sig-p290-sub-compact

• 3 weeks later...

I looked at the Sig when i was shopping for a carry 9mm. Only reason i didn't get it was my dislike of polymer frames. They just don't feel right in my hand. Not sure if it's cause they feel top heavy or maybe just the physical feel on the polymer in my hand. If it had been metal frame it would have probably gone home with me that day. Luckily soon after handling the Sig I found my Kimber Solo. If your Sig runs anything like mySig P238 did, you'll have a great carry gun.

I wanted to post this to clarify to anyone who might be reading and interested in the P290 that the reviews are actually very positive, not negative.

When I look at reviews for any product I'm thinking about buying, I usually see more positives than negatives. I think it's a combination between big-time reviewers not wanting to lose advertisers and buyers who don't want to say bad thing about the products they bought.

That's why I always sort reviews from worst to best. I also Google "<product name> problems" to see what issues others have had with it. That way I can weigh the good against the 'known' bad.

I'm NOT in any way bashing the P290 or the thread. In fact, I hope you like it. I think it's a really cool looking gun and Ilike the size. I just wanted to make what I hope is a helpful suggestion about product research in general.

BTW...nice pics.

When I look at reviews for any product I'm thinking about buying, I usually see more positives than negatives. I think it's a combination between big-time reviewers not wanting to lose advertisers and buyers who don't want to say bad thing about the products they bought.

That's why I always sort reviews from worst to best. I also Google "<product name> problems" to see what issues others have had with it. That way I can weigh the good against the 'known' bad.

I'm NOT in any way bashing the P290 or the thread. In fact, I hope you like it. I think it's a really cool looking gun and Ilike the size. I just wanted to make what I hope is a helpful suggestion about product research in general.

BTW...nice pics.

Yeah I also find forums and YouTube helpful to get users opinion

Nice work on the comparisons!

I went from an LCR to the P238, and was considering the P938. Decided to try the 290RS because I never train with a manual safety.

The little thing is amazing. Way too accurate, easy to shoot, just as easy to slip into the pocket.

Target is the first 5 shots I took with it at 7 yards, straight from box, no cleaning, no dry fire.

Got about 400 rounds through it now without a hickup, it's been flawless. Only complaint is that it takes a good whack to seat the 8 round mag.

Beyond happy with it.

290rs-1.jpg