Mora Of Sweden

Guest brentt

Guest brentt

Has anyone had or used any of the Mora of Sweden knives. My buddy was telling me how great his was and I checked them out and found only good reviews on them. I found the companion carbon steel on ebay for under 15 bucks shipped. I thought it couldnt hurt for that price. Just got it today. Ill let you all know what I think after I use it a bit but if any of you have experience/ knowledge on these let me know. Thanks.

Great knife for the money! The three I have came scary sharp! I have the Classic #1, 511 and a 780 triflex (out of production). They are a scandi grind, and they make great slicers and carvers and are easy to keep sharp. I suggest checking some Youtube videos on how to sharpen a scandi grind. It's really easy. They aren't the thickest blade in the world, but people do baton with them. The spine is usually unfinished, so if you want to use it with a fire steel, you will have to take a file and square it up some. The sheaths are crap, that's C-R-A-P! I recommend you make one or purchase one online. There are several kydex makers on EBAY and the Companion is a very common Mora. So you should be able to pick one up at a reasonable price. It will be more than the knife costs though. They make a great hiker's knife, due to there light weight.

The best place on the web to get Mora's is at www.ragweedforge.com. Ragnar runs it and he is a super person to deal with. He charges $6 for shipping on up to 6 knives and mostly deals with Scandinavian style knives like Helle, Mora and EKA.

• Like 1
Guest brentt

yea the sheath is the only part of the knife that i was disappointed in. My friend also warned me ill need to file the end in order to get a spark. You were right about the sharp blade. My finger is bleeding as I am typing this. LOL. thanks for the input

Guest brentt

I ordered mine from oakcutlery on ebay. BEWARE. order from someone else. She sent me the stainless and I had to pay the return shipping for her mistake. Finally got it. I hope it was worth all the hassle.

If you are kind of crafty, you can take the sheaths and make them a lot better. A lot of people make danglers out of them.

Here are some links.

http://willowhavenoutdoor.com/general-survival/mora-knife-modifications

/http://pig-monkey.com/2009/12/05/mora-sheath-modification

http://berserkersbushcraft.blogspot.com/2009/02/mora-mod-ii.html

These are just a few. There are tons out there. You can find more by going to your favorite search engine (I encourage BING,snce Google has become unfriendly to anything resembling a weapon) and typing in Mora Sheath Mods.

Guest Xring04

I love mine.

IMG_0061.jpg

Since the plastic handled one has been well loved, I forced a patina and tride to hide some of the "love" on the spine with a crude pattern.

IMG_0059.jpg

IMG_0058.jpg

Mora's are a great bang for your buck. Some of the sharpest knives out of the box I've seen in a long time and with the scandi edge they're very easy to re-sharpen for novices.

I have a #612 (which is a #2 classic with the lower finger guard) and a Mora Robust. Can't beat it for the price.

Yes, to keep costs down the handles are cheap, the sheaths are cheap, but the part that counts (the blade) is good stuff. It's the only fixed blade without a full tang I wouldn't have a problem throwing in my hiking pack.

I have a Mora Clipper I piked up at SMKW a year or so ago. I think it was like $11. Had the carbon blade, identical to the one Xring posted.

I have used it as a general purpose beat around knife ever since. It hasn't let me down, and I kind of wish I had bought two, just because.

Mine has a forced patina (I stuck it in an apple for an afternoon) and holds an edge as good as the day it came home.

If I had any complaints, it would be the plastic sheath, but it does what it needs to do. I wouldn't mind a custom leather sheath for it though.

My opinion, I don't think you can find a better knife for the same price, even if you fudge the numbers a good percentage.

• 11 months later...

Figured I could just bump this thread instead of starting a new one.

I picked up a Morakniv on amazon and I'm quite impressed. Lightweight, wicked sharp, and affordable.

I could see myself getting more of these in the future.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004TNWD40/ref=oh_details_o02_s00_i01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The sheath does not bother me.

that's the same sheath my basic mora has and it's okay. Mora makes a great knife!

sent barefoot from the hills of Tennessee

I've got a couple, they are pretty decent "light-duty" utility knives, I wouldn't want to use them for any heavy duty cutting chores though, would probably bend.

My wife likes the couple that she has as well, if we get another it'd probably be one of the robust versions, the regular versions only real draw back is how thin the blades are IMHO.