Range in eastern TN that would host Appleseed?

Guest TNdad

Does anyone know or is a member of a range out in eastern TN that would host an Project Appleseed event? We have clinics all over the nation and in mid and west TN but we have not been able to find a range in eastern TN that would give us access.

If you're not aware of Project Appleseed, it's a 2-day rifle marksmanship clinic run by the Revolutionary War Veterans Association (RWVA), a 501.c.3, non-profit, insured organization that is staffed by volunteer, certified instructors dedicated to reconnecting the modern-day rifle owners and new shooters, especially the younger generation, with the traditional heritage of the American Rifleman.

Does anyone know anyone at Unaka Rod & Gun Club?

Any leads would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Charlie

Edited by TNdad
  • Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What is the farthest distance they shoot? That will be a big factor when deciding.

I know the VPRC in Knoxville has a 300 yard range they open a few times a year for high power matches. ORSA might let you on their range as well. You might be able to coordinate with the Norris Police Department to shut their range down for 2 days. That or deal with the crowds.

Dolomite

The majority of the shooting is at 25 yards. We have some long distance components of the class that we do out to 400 yds if the range can handle it. Ususally we only go out to 100 yds. We even have some ranges where we only do 25 yds, like the NG range in Smyrna.

We've approached Oak Ridge and there was some excitement at first but it never amounted to much. Even our state coordinator became a member but there's been no traction there.

Are there any ranges out in the Kingsport area?

There have been a few in East TN. What happened to those ranges? One gentleman hosted one just north of Knoxville near Maynardville. He only had 25 yards, but it was a good weekend. It was where I earned my Rifleman patch. :woohoo:

There have also been a couple near Kingsport. Don't know what happened to those places or why they haven't hosted any Appleseeds in a while. Maybe search the archives of the Appleseed website and find the locations. Maybe they'll be open to hosting again. Unfortunately, I haven't been active on the Appleseed forum for 2 or 3 years. Maybe more. I even rented a table at a gun show to promote the cause once. Once.

Someday, when I get a suitable strip of land, I may try to host some Appleseed shoots.

Will

These are great suggestions and I'll follow up on these. Does anyone know any members at these ranges? It's always easier to approach a new range with a member.

• 4 weeks later...

ORSA has a 200 yard hi power rifle bench range, and a 1000 yard range as well. I doubt they would have any problem hosting an event if coordinated properly.

In Knox county try the Moose Lodge Sportman's Association.

Thank you. I'll Google their site.

ORSA has a 200 yard hi power rifle bench range, and a 1000 yard range as well. I doubt they would have any problem hosting an event if coordinated properly.

TNdad posted above that ORSA (where I am a member) has been approached before, but without results.

I'll contact a few folks there and see what comes from it though.

Thanks folks.