Right to carry committee

Guess we can spend the summer wonder who Commissar Naifeh will assign to this committee:

http://www.legislature.state.tn.us/bills/currentga/BILL/HR0390.pdf

HOUSE RESOLUTION 390

By McCord

A RESOLUTION to create a special House committee to study the issue of allowing persons with a valid handgun permit to carry in restaurants that serve alcoholic beverages, the licensing of clubs allowing only persons eighteen years of age and older or twenty-one years of age and older and the licensing of restaurants by the alcoholic beverage commission.

BE IT RESOLVED BY THE HOUSE OF REPRESENTATIVES OF THE ONE HUNDRED FIFTH GENERAL ASSEMBLY OF THE STATE OF TENNESSEE, that there is hereby created a special House committee to study the issue of allowing persons with a permit to carry a handgun in restaurants that serve alcoholic beverages and the issue of licensing by the

alcoholic beverage commission of restaurants and clubs allowing only persons eighteen ( 18 ) years of age and older or twenty-one (21) years of age and older.

BE IT FURTHER RESOLVED, that the committee shall consist of five (5) members of the House of Representatives, to be appointed by the Speaker of the House.

BE IT FURTHER RESOLVED, that all appropriate state agencies shall provide assistance to the special committee upon request of the chair.

BE IT FURTHER RESOLVED, that all legislative members of the special committee who are duly elected members of the General Assembly shall remain members of such committee until the committee reports its findings and recommendations to the General Assembly.

BE IT FURTHER RESOLVED, that the special committee shall be convened by the member with the most years of continuous service in the General Assembly, and at its first meeting shall elect a chair, vice-chair, and such other officers the committee deems necessary.

BE IT FURTHER RESOLVED, that the special committee shall timely report its findings and recommendations, including any proposed legislation, to the One Hundred Sixth General Assembly no later than February 1, 2009, at which time the committee shall cease to exist.

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest nraforlife

I am SURE that Naifeh is going to stack - oops appoint - the committee with fair and open minded whores - oops representatives - from his brothel - oops party. :D

Since you have to be 21 to get a HCP whats with the red herring of throwing in clubs that admit eighteen year olds. :rofl:

Edited by nraforlife
I am SURE that Naifeh is going to stack - oops appoint - the committee with fair and open minded whores - oops representatives - from his brothel - oops party. :D

Since you have to be 21 to get a HCP whats with the red herring of throwing in clubs that admit eighteen year olds. :rofl:

Look for the Memphis contingent to be the primary reps here.

What an end-run. The committee has to present a report in Feb 09. That means the issue is off the table until then because they are "studying the issue" like anyone needs to spend that much time on it. Then the committee is going to present a report saying the police chiefs and THP oppose it so they should all vote against it. And then we start all over again.

BE IT FURTHER RESOLVED, that the committee shall consist of five (5) members of the House of Representatives, to be appointed by the Speaker of the House.

Well theres your problem!

I dunno maybe I see it a little differently but I think it could be a step in the right direction if there truly considering it.Maybe there taken a note from GA.

I also can see the bs given darths record of deception

I could be wrong....but it's my hope they will reach some sort of compromise.

I think the biggest problem right now is there is no difference in TN law between a restaurant that serves alcohol and a tavern/beer joint.

Not sure about Naifeh, but I think most are willing to consider to allow carry in restaurants, but not in "night clubs, bars, taverns and beer joints"

Again, if I've understood most of the comments from legislators to this point this committee’s main goal is to see if they can come up with new law to define the differences between the above places so as to allow carry in restaurants and not the others.

Of course who knows what will actually come out of it.

Guest Boomhower
I do! I do!

You are a sick man to have such a picture stored somewhere for just a case such as this, or even the desire to search for one on the internet. :rolleyes:

Guest nraforlife

Anyone want to make a bet that the committee consists of 3 Dems and 2 Republicans and that the committee will then find 3 to 2 that there is no need to grant HCP the right to carry in restaurants that server adult beverages.

Anyone want to make a bet that the committee consists of 3 Dems and 2 Republicans and that the committee will then find 3 to 2 that there is no need to grant HCP the right to carry in restaurants that server adult beverages.

You could just about name the reps and write the report yourself. From "no need" to "police chiefs in the state universally oppose it" it's a done deal. Without a concerted effort by the citizens in this state, including a demonstration on the capitol hill steps, it won't happen.

Guest HexHead
Look for the Memphis contingent to be the primary reps here.

What an end-run. The committee has to present a report in Feb 09. That means the issue is off the table until then because they are "studying the issue" like anyone needs to spend that much time on it. Then the committee is going to present a report saying the police chiefs and THP oppose it so they should all vote against it. And then we start all over again.

I think you've pretty well summed it up, but you left out King Jimmy sitting in for the votes again.

Guest nraforlife
You could just about name the reps and write the report yourself. From "no need" to "police chiefs in the state universally oppose it" it's a done deal. Without a concerted effort by the citizens in this state, including a demonstration on the capitol hill steps, it won't happen.

Lets see 200,000 HCP holders. 10% turnout is 20,000 1% is 2,000 bet we would get less than 1% turnout. I would drive down from Knoxville IF y'all in the local Nashville area would show up in force...

Guest BG38357

They're wasting OUR ($) time unless it gets to a floor vote.

What B.S.

"No man's life, liberty, or property is safe while the legislature is in session." -Mark Twain (1866)

Guest nraforlife

It just seems that the majority of the TN HCP holders are all mouth and no nuts. 200,000 voters and spouses and no, or little, political impact. Out the 200,000 how many know whats going on - or care, how many know about this forum, how many belong to the NRA, TFA or GOA? What are the schools, instructors, gun dealers, gun shows, etc., doing to get their attention?

We cannot expect the elected politicians to take us seriously if all we do is beat our gums.

NO MORE RANT FROM ME - PROMISE

Guest Phantom6
I wonder if he stuck Mentos..... well never mind

As if the pic the Rabbi stuck up there wasn't bad enough. Now, please, after your mentos suggestion, please erase that from the screen of my mind!