FLYING WITH A GUN?!?!?!... Updated...

Guest G23FM

Hola TGO...

My wife and I are going on a trip this weekend for Memorial Day, and I consider myself to be slightly knowledgeable in the areas of FARs since I'm an Aerospace graduate...

My question is this....

When checking my firearm for Southwest in Nashville, is the Glock container that was with the firearm, provided that it is locked with a padlock, and inside my CHECKED bag with the airlines sufficient for transport? I know the FARs about this, and I could probably tell you them close to verbatum in a jiffy, but, as with everything, there is an employee checking that luggage for me.

I was just wondering if anyone had any expericence with this and a Glock container inside of a checked bag...

Thanks in advance.

Edited by G23FM
  • Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Better double check, but I thought ammo had to be separate from firearm.

I believe an airline or two may have that requirement, but not Southwest. When flying I put my ammo in the mags and put the mags in a small container of some type. It just has to be covered. I've even used those small bags that you keep your sunglasses in.

Be mindful not to have a flight that might connect in a no gun state. If for some crazy reason you are delayed and have to spend the night you're in for a big problem.

Non stop flights only if possible

It's non stop flight from BNA to JAX.....

Be mindful not to have a flight that might connect in a no gun state. If for some crazy reason you are delayed and have to spend the night you're in for a big problem.

Non stop flights only if possible

From what I understand only a problem if you take possesion of your baggage. Bring enough clothes and necessities in your carry on to avoid the issue.

Unless you plan on arming yourself as soon as you get out of the airport I'd just leave your ammo in it's factory packaging out side your gun case in your baggage.

For that luggage as well as gun case Id recommend using NON TSA approved locks.

As I'm sure OP knows, it is against TSA regs to access baggage known to contain a properly checked in firearm without you being present. If they need something in there or need to double check they will find you, I recommend printing a business card or similar with just your phone number and leaving your cell on to help them if neccasery. Leave the card in the space designed to hold that personal info card outside the luggage.

When you arrive at your destination a quick glance at your intact non TSA locks will give you piece of mind that all has gone well and help keep the honest people honest while your bag is in transit.

Have a safe trip.

From what I understand only a problem if you take possesion of your baggage.

True. The trouble lies when a flight gets canceled and you are forced to take an overnight layover. Then you have to re-check your bags for the new flight, and declare the weapon.

Yes the odds of this actually happening are low, but there are stories out there.

True. The trouble lies when a flight gets canceled and you are forced to take an overnight layover. Then you have to re-check your bags for the new flight, and declare the weapon.

Yes the odds of this actually happening are low, but there are stories out there.

No offence to you at all LJ but there are also stories out there about Bigfoot.

You would have to try to take possession of your baggage during either a planned or unintentional layover. It's actually not something they want to do, once your baggage is checked in it's checked in and you can't get at it (easily) until you have reached the destination airport baggage claim area.

This is why it always a good idea to have anything you need to see you through a 24 hour period in tour carry on, not just when your flying with a gun.

No offence to you at all LJ but there are also stories out there about Bigfoot.

You would have to try to take possession of your baggage during either a planned or unintentional layover. It's actually not something they want to do, once your baggage is checked in it's checked in and you can't get at it (easily) until you have reached the destination airport baggage claim area.

This is why it always a good idea to have anything you need to see you through a 24 hour period in tour carry on, not just when your flying with a gun.

No offense taken, but I'm sure the story is well documented, I'll google and see if I can find it.

Edit:

This article explains how and why the guy was arrested and how to avoid it. The key is to not take possession of you luggage and hope it gets transferred correctly.

http://www.usacarry.com/why-people-get-arrested-airports-firearms/

Edited by Lumber_Jack

Exactly, don't take possesion of your baggage and you'll be just fine.

It's not exactly like the airline or TSA wants you to take possesion either, they don't. It means more work for them removing your baggage, checking it out of the system and then going through the whole check in procedure again when your flight comes in. More work for the same pay, I can see why they don't want the hassle.

Also worth noting that it looks pretty funny and might raise more than just a few eyebrows for a passwner to check in new baggage midway through a multi leg flight.

We're both right on this one, trouble can happen as you stated, but you have to make it happen. Flying into NY city with a gun in your baggage won't get you arrested unless that's your final destination or you take possesion of your luggage.

It might not even get you arrested if NY was your final destination. It wouldn't be until you declared the firearm on the return flight that the fireworks would begin.

Also should probably add the obligatory "I am not a lawyer, this is not legal advise but only an opinion(as well founded and researched as it may be)"

I have flown SW many times with a gun. I put the gun in a locked, hard-sided case, which for me was usually the factory Ruger plastic case. The ammo can be in the same case, provided the gun is unloaded, or it can just be in an ammo box like you bought it from the store. It does not have to be locked in any special case. The only limit on ammo is the weight restriction which is well within an adequate amount for a protection weapon. The only variance I have encountered is the little card you have to fill out. Some of the counter clerks say it just needs to be in the bag with the gun, others tape it on the locked case, and others made me unlock the case and place it in the locked case with the weapon. They have usually been very pleasant during the checking process.

On a side note, my bag did get searched once when there was a weapon, but the TSA guy was way more concerned about a jar of homemade strawberry preserves than he was with the gun. He did the explosive swab test thing on the jar, but did not even bat an eye at the gun. That is the only time my bag has been searched with a weapon in it.

On a side note, my bag did get searched once when there was a weapon, but the TSA guy was way more concerned about a jar of homemade strawberry preserves than he was with the gun.

Haven't you heard.... That is the most dangerous kind of preserves.... A good jar of that can make a loaf of bread disappear within 20 minutes.

I was flying out a couple of years ago and everything was going fine as usual when flying with a gun. Then a couple of TSA agents called me to come to the counter and said there was a problem with my gun case. They took me behind the wall behind the counter and picked up my gun case and showed me how even though it was padlocked (through the carry handle), they could still flip the latches and pull the top away from the bottom and gain access to the gun. It looked like I was going to have to miss my flight or call a relative to come and get the gun before the plane took off, neither of which was going to be easy or good. Then one of the TSA agents told the other one, "I believe I can fix that." She took the case somewhere and came back a few minutes later and said she had fixed it so the top could not be seperated from the bottom and everything was OK.....Deep sigh of relief! I don't know what she did to it because when I got to Phoenix and got my suitcase and checked the gun case, it just looked like it did when I packed it to start with. They were very nice agents and I didn't give them any attitude when they told me of the problem so maybe they just let it go. But I was very gratefull I didn't miss my flight. So be sure and check for that potential problem and solve it before you get to the airport.

Edited by waynesan

Good point Waynesan. FWIW I understand some airlines keep an inventory of approved cases on hand as well so worst case you may have been able to check with them to get on the flight. Don't know if you rent or buy them or even first hand if they are generally available to the public but have heard they're out there.

Well.. We made it to FL, I declared my firearm at BNA, I didn't have a "TSA Approved" lock, so I had to sit by the ticket agent desks for like 10 minutes to see if the TSA was going to call me to check the bag... They never called..

Got to FL, and they cut the damn lock of my golf clubs....

NOT MY GUN... My friggin golf clubs....

Kinda bassackwards?

No regs saying they're not supposed to, sucks though.

I have heard it used to be a popular trick for photographers to declare small pistol packed away with their camera equipment just to keep the TSA out. Maybe you could do something similar next time?

Glad you had a safe flight, have fun in Fl.