Skeet shooting with wife Need advise

My wife has expressed and interest in Skeet shooting but has never handled a shotgun before. The only shotgun I have is a sawed off side by side coach gun in 12 gauge. I have never shot skeet before and need advise as to the best shotgun for her to start on, She is a petite woman standing 5'4" and 120lbs so I do not want anything she cannot handle but that would still be a good fit for her in the long run. Any advise on gauge and type shotgun would be helpful. Thanks in advance.

Edited by Mykltn
  • Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

My wife shoots or at least has shot clays in the past. She uses a 410 and really likes it. There is very little recoil compared to 12 or even 20 but you also need a lot more skill with a 410. The shot column is very, very small compared to any other calibers.

I would recommend a semiauto in 20 gauge. The semiauto should soak up a lot of the recoil and the 20 gauge should be eaiser to hit with. And if she gets comfortable with the recoil of the 20 move up to a 12.

12's and 20's are the cheapest to shoot as well. You can get 200 round packs at Walmart for under $45 out the door now.

Dolomite

Guest vthokies03

Ditto what Dolomite said.

Before she shoots it make sure a gunsmith has it fitted for her. She will not enjoy shooting a gun with a full length adult stock. A youth stock is a best place to start.

matt

Has she tried the 12 ga? A limbsaver pad perhaps, with a light load (the black walmart dove loads for example) may be OK for her to try the sport out. She may not even like skeet or want to pursue it after a couple of trips? My wife is a bit taller but probably no stronger, and she can handle a tamed 12 pretty well (we have an 1100 with a good recoil pad and doctored to function on light loads). I would have her try it one time if she has not.

In the long run a 20 or 16 ga would either one be an excellent choice, if she likes it. A 410 is exceptionally gentle -- children shoot them --- if she is extra sensitive.

20 semi would be my choice. If she's confident with the other guns (rifle/handgun) then by all means, let her try the 12. If she's skittish about trying it, then get her a lesson with a pro. I was very happy with an intro lesson fromTerry Hettrick @ the Nashville Gun Club off of Briley. My wife will be taking her first lesson with him in a few weeks. He uses a well worn in 20ga semi for his students.

20 semi would be my choice. If she's confident with the other guns (rifle/handgun) then by all means, let her try the 12. If she's skittish about trying it, then get her a lesson with a pro. I was very happy with an intro lesson fromTerry Hettrick @ the Nashville Gun Club off of Briley. My wife will be taking her first lesson with him in a few weeks. He uses a well worn in 20ga semi for his students.

I may just go the Lesson route with her to start. She gets a little intimidated when I try and teach her but thats probably due to me being a bad teacher. LOL. For some reason I expect everyone to be able to take to new things as easily as I do. Very bad habbit on my part.

I may just go the Lesson route with her to start. She gets a little intimidated when I try and teach her but thats probably due to me being a bad teacher. LOL. For some reason I expect everyone to be able to take to new things as easily as I do. Very bad habbit on my part.

heh... has nothing to do with you being a bad teacher. Has everything to do with the fact that she's your wife and hence is hardwired to not listen to you. Getting someone else to teach her is an excellent suggestion.

Look at semi auto 20 gauge. I started out shooting skeet with one of those when I was 10 or so and never had problems. You might want to look at a Benelli Franchi, good guns and low recoil. They are a little pricey though so it might be out of budget if you don't know if she'll stick with it. Then again I still use mine as a dove gun. Just my .02 cents.

Buy a MEC loader and get her set up on 28g.

This might be a good option if you roll your own. However, it has been my experience that if you buy 28ga ammo, the lower weight of the gun and the recoil of the store bought ammo, which is usually a premium ammo, is just as bad if not worse than a 20ga with cheap target loads.

My wife is similar in size to yours, and she shoots a 20ga youth model 870. A semi-auto would probably be a better option if price is not a limitation as the action of a pump seems to take some work to be proficient at it. There was a 20ga Pardner pump youth model on ###.com for $150 yesterday. That would be a pretty cheap way to get started.

Check with some of the skeet ranges because I think some rent guns. If so it might be the best route until you know it's something she wants to do long term.

In college I shot a lot of Trap and ended up buying my own gun. It was an 870 Trap model with a 30" full choke barrel with a Monte Carlo stock. IIRC most Skeet gun use a 26" barrel unless things have change over time.

I'd have to figure out if i've got mine at the house or not(sent it down to Florida at one point for my young cousin to learn with) but if you would like her to try the youth/womens 20ga 870 you guys are more than welcome to come down so she can try one out before you buy. We've got enough land to shoot skeet on. I'm about 5 miles out of Murfreesboro, let me know if you want to do this.