good load for deer with .45/70 govt.?

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Both the Remy 300 and 405 grain JHPs are fantastic deer stoppers for this caliber. I use the 300s in my AR platformed 458 Socom and the energy transfer is pretty amazing with 90% retention of mass.

Looking at the Remy site they don't offer the 405 in HP but the soft point.

I used to shoot the .444 Marlin with soft points and they were great short and medium range rounds as well. I think either the 300 JHP or the 405 SP would do you. Sorry, I missed you did NOT want to handload at first.

http://www.remington.com/products/ammunition/centerfire/core-Lokt.asp

Edited by Rightwinger

Never priced Buffalo against the standard factory loads. If your not getting huge velocity gains (without losing your expansion) then IMHO its not worth paying for a name.

If you really want consistent loads you can trust, get into hand loading and roll your own. I just buy bullets and powder now for everything I own except my sons 30-30. I'll probably get dies for that sometime but we just don't shoot it enough yet to even generate enough brass to make it worth it.

Get a box of each and do some comparison of accuracy, weight retention (shoot into wet newspapers and magazines) and then weigh the costs of each. You'll know what you want then.

Guest Mugster

With a slug that big, it doesn't really matter for deer imo. You could shoot through them lengthways with that stuff. I've had good luck with the 240gr sp remington in .444 for what its worth. I might go with the smaller bullet. Might be a little flatter shooting and punish you a bit less.

thats why i was looking at the buffalo bores stuff. you get better velocity and energy in a larger bullet, granted you probably get more punishment in the shoulder but thats beside the point:D

buffalo bore:

300gr. Jacketed hollow point - 2350fps/3678ft.lbs.

350gr. Jacketed flat nose - 2150fps/3427ft.lbs.

405gr. Jacketed flat nose - 2000fps/3597ft.lbs.

430gr. Long lead flat nose - 1925fps/3537ft.lbs.

500gr. full metal jacket flat nose - 1650fps/2931ft.lbs.

Hornady LEVERevolution

325gr. flex tip expanding - 1875fps/3032ft.lbs.

Remington

300gr. semi-jacketed hollow point - 1810fps/2182ft.lbs.

405gr. jacketed soft point - 1330fps/1590ft/lbs.

Guest grimel

Hornady LEVERevolution. The best trajectory, more than enough umph for anything in N.A. and it's the cheapest factory ammo (at least at Gander Mt and online). Shoots good too!

Guest Mugster

Probably what I'd do, is buy a pack of each and spend the day off the bench and see which one shoots the best in your gun. It could well vary by an inch or 2 or more at 100 yards. If you find a couple loads in that magical 2-4" group range, you'll have a couple choices.

I'll wager a cookie the remmy green box 405 gr SP will be the most accurate. Going to be an expensive proposition one way or the other....45-70 ain't cheap.

Guest grimel
yes it is going to be expensive. the cheapest quality ammo i can find on the net is remington green box 300gr. for $31 for 20. but a gun shop about 30miles away from me has the same thing for 26.50 no tax

Hornady LEVERevolution $28.46 at MidwayUSA.com

Guest 70below

I think the Buffalo Bore rounds would be a waste of money for deer. If you were going for Elk or Moose, I'd say give 'em a go. But any 45-70 rd you pick is going to blow a whitetail out of its socks. Anything that is going to over penetrate in my opinion is going to be a waste of energy, and with a freight train like the 45-70 you're going to have plenty of penetration. Go with something in the 240gr to 300gr range, those leverevolutions sound worth a try.

• 1 month later...

Oregon Trail Laser Cast 350 grain Lead Flat Nose Bullets

+

26.2 Grains of 2400 Powder

+

Non-Magnum Primer of your choosing.

=

1400 FPS and will go end to end through just about any animal within a 500 mile radius of here. Good at point blank 100 yards to get you a center mass shot from 0 - 120 yards.

Have you shot anything like the Buffalo Bore Ammo. My top load is a 350 Hornady over RL7. It hits 2000 fps and is just no fun. It will flat drop a deer but is painful. I prefer a Rem 405 over a moderate load of Varget. It is accurate and much more fun. I am sure it would kill anything in North America.

• 1 month later...
Guest tokarev

if you're not handloading for your 45/70 (WHAT? Your not? Why?) then just grab a box of Remchester 300 grain jhp's. They will take care of any deer in TN.

If you feel you may need more penetration, grab the 405 soft points.

What ya be shoot'n them 45/70's out of?