Anyone here live around Kingston?

Guest TankerHC

Guest TankerHC

Well, we decided were not getting the house at Watts Barr since I have been having a heck of a time getting hold of the seller. And after some discussion between me and the wife, we decided to go with a recommendation of a TNGO member to rent or lease for a year to make sure we are living where we want to be before buying. So, we found a place near Kingston. Looked around the area and really like what we saw.

The house is a 3200 square foot on 80 acres. 10 acres go with the house but I have access to the rest as well. Its 4 miles out of town on River Road. RIght across from the water and a boat launch which is a real positive. Walking around the property its pretty clear Ill be able to do some good hunting on the land. Other than about 3 acres, its all wooded. I think I will do a 1 year lease next week (All paperwork already turned in, just waiting to go up and sign), and if its all good, do one more year then buy somewhere in Roane County.

Driving around the area also see that everything I will need as far as shopping, gun shops, etc is there.

Anyone living in the area, Id like to make some contacts with some people with similar interests (Shooting, Fishing and other outdoor sports) and get any info I might want to know since I know NO ONE in the area.

I did stop at a couple of gun stores, I was particularly impressed with Frontier Firearms. Ten bucks to shoot all day! Im a member of a RIfle and Pistol Club here, so I only pay my dues once a year and can shoot whenever I feel like it, but we have an Indoor range less than a mile from my house and they charge $20 per half hour. Not to mention as soon as I walked in to Frontier I noticed they had guns that you dont find everywhere (One I was particularly interested in was a '43 Remington Rand".) Any thoughts on Frontier and other gun stores in the area?

Thanks

J

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, we decided were not getting the house at Watts Barr since I have been having a heck of a time getting hold of the seller. And after some discussion between me and the wife, we decided to go with a recommendation of a TNGO member to rent or lease for a year to make sure we are living where we want to be before buying. So, we found a place near Kingston. Looked around the area and really like what we saw.

The house is a 3200 square foot on 80 acres. 10 acres go with the house but I have access to the rest as well. Its 4 miles out of town on River Road. RIght across from the water and a boat launch which is a real positive. Walking around the property its pretty clear Ill be able to do some good hunting on the land. Other than about 3 acres, its all wooded. I think I will do a 1 year lease next week (All paperwork already turned in, just waiting to go up and sign), and if its all good, do one more year then buy somewhere in Roane County.

Driving around the area also see that everything I will need as far as shopping, gun shops, etc is there.

Anyone living in the area, Id like to make some contacts with some people with similar interests (Shooting, Fishing and other outdoor sports) and get any info I might want to know since I know NO ONE in the area.

I did stop at a couple of gun stores, I was particularly impressed with Frontier Firearms. Ten bucks to shoot all day! Im a member of a RIfle and Pistol Club here, so I only pay my dues once a year and can shoot whenever I feel like it, but we have an Indoor range less than a mile from my house and they charge $20 per half hour. Not to mention as soon as I walked in to Frontier I noticed they had guns that you dont find everywhere (One I was particularly interested in was a '43 Remington Rand".) Any thoughts on Frontier and other gun stores in the area?

Thanks

J

I don't live there but out office is in rural Kingston, on Gallahar Rd. it's a nice area.

As far as gun stores, Frontier is your biggest and best. The owner came on here once and made a stink so their name may not be favored by some, but they have good service and selection, and as you said an inexpensive indoor range.

If you haven't yet, go eat at Handy Burger in the south part of Kingston. It's a little diner that's pretty good.

Other than that it's a nice little community with a big lake. It's a great place for an outdoorsman especially if you have a boat.

I'm about 10 minutes from Kingston and about 5 from frontier and coal creek. If you head out of town towards Oliver Springs on Sugar Grove Valley I'm out that direction. I like the area because my private range is close and I get the benefits of a pretty quite area and am still close to OR and Knoxville.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Spurhunter

Other than the crazier than normal political characters in the area, its a nice town. Great access to the river and super boating, fishing, etc. I really like going up to Watts Barr. I have met some of the nicest folks on the water around there.

I see it says Clinton, Ms, did you shop/shoot at Surplus City?

Guest TankerHC

Other than the crazier than normal political characters in the area, its a nice town. Great access to the river and super boating, fishing, etc. I really like going up to Watts Barr. I have met some of the nicest folks on the water around there.

I see it says Clinton, Ms, did you shop/shoot at Surplus City?

Live about a mile from SS. Used to shoot there about 3 years ago, but went ahead and joined Magnolia Rifle and Pistol Club. Now, I dont have to pay $15 per 30 minutes (Surplus City Prices) to shoot. Was told by a close friend that knows the owners of SS that they are going out of business soon. Also hear (Pure rumor) that Van's is buying them.

I live close to you, between Oliver Springs and Harriman, I'm renting about 184 acres out this way. I do a lot of hunting, fish poplar creek right out my back door, and we have primtive camp meetings around my place, with hunting, survival classes, hide tanning classes, blacksmithing, etc.

Guest TankerHC

I live close to you, between Oliver Springs and Harriman, I'm renting about 184 acres out this way. I do a lot of hunting, fish poplar creek right out my back door, and we have primtive camp meetings around my place, with hunting, survival classes, hide tanning classes, blacksmithing, etc.

Any more of that land up there for RENT? Id be interested in renting some just to use as a range and for some hunting, until I buy. BTW, went up to Harriman Saturday. Stopped in Kingston and ate at Red Bone on the River on the way back. Great food.

Guest TankerHC

Hate to hear that about Surplus City, they used to be good folks.

Yea, they are nice people. But you cant expect to stay in business when your prices are 10-15% higher than everyone else in town, you charge 15 dollars for 30 minutes of range time, and your transfer fees are $50 when everyone else in town is $15-$25. I go in there at least once a week, always looking for something, and I usually buy, just not there. Why would I when I can go to Vans, or Great Southern or any one of the other Mom and Pops and save $50-$150?

Really? I was looking in to joining if it wasn't too difficult.

It's not very difficult to join you either need a current member to sponser you or to be a member of the Nra. But don't expect to be "in" immediately. Short story for you my stepdad, brother and I used to go and shoot 1000yd high power rifle and I never felt welcome. We shot a custom baker rifle chambered in 30FBI. It was digital camo, everyone else was shooting these funky rainbow colored match rifles and our "ugly" gun was was showing them up. We quit getting invited to the matches and special practice sessions when its the only time you can use the 1000yd range.

It's not very difficult to join you either need a current member to sponser you or to be a member of the Nra. But don't expect to be "in" immediately. Short story for you my stepdad, brother and I used to go and shoot 1000yd high power rifle and I never felt welcome. We shot a custom baker rifle chambered in 30FBI. It was digital camo, everyone else was shooting these funky rainbow colored match rifles and our "ugly" gun was was showing them up. We quit getting invited to the matches and special practice sessions when its the only time you can use the 1000yd range.

Really sorry you had that experience. I've had totally the opposite so I guess every situation is different. Everyone I've met and talked to has been super friendly and willing to show me the ropes over the years I've been a member. The main reason I joined the place was the fact that you can go and shoot on your own time and not have to worry about a ton of people. However, you are correct about the high power range not being available all the time but I can understand their reasoning. Couple years back we had a porta potty get destroyed by someone who was just out takin pot shots at stuff with no supervision so they've had to tighten things up since then. But I find that I spend most of my time between the plinking range and the 200 yard bench range anyway so I've gotten way more than my money's worth as it is. They will tell you at orientation that no one will just walk up to you and say "Hey come on over and shoot some skeet with us!" or stuff like that because that's part of the attraction of the place. You don't have to worry about being bothered if you don't want to be. But they will be more than happy to show you the ropes if you take the time to introduce yourself and show interest. Just don't do anything stupid like shoot clay targets from the plinking range parking lot and you won't get any flack from the other members. :) And if you're in town I know a bunch of guys who'd love to take you on a tour of the facilities, myself included.

Really sorry you had that experience. I've had totally the opposite so I guess every situation is different. Everyone I've met and talked to has been super friendly and willing to show me the ropes over the years I've been a member. The main reason I joined the place was the fact that you can go and shoot on your own time and not have to worry about a ton of people. However, you are correct about the high power range not being available all the time but I can understand their reasoning. Couple years back we had a porta potty get destroyed by someone who was just out takin pot shots at stuff with no supervision so they've had to tighten things up since then. But I find that I spend most of my time between the plinking range and the 200 yard bench range anyway so I've gotten way more than my money's worth as it is. They will tell you at orientation that no one will just walk up to you and say "Hey come on over and shoot some skeet with us!" or stuff like that because that's part of the attraction of the place. You don't have to worry about being bothered if you don't want to be. But they will be more than happy to show you the ropes if you take the time to introduce yourself and show interest. Just don't do anything stupid like shoot clay targets from the plinking range parking lot and you won't get any flack from the other members. :) And if you're in town I know a bunch of guys who'd love to take you on a tour of the facilities, myself included.

I live 30 minutes away I am local. Its been almost 10 years since the expirience I mentioned I was about 15 I'm 24 now. I have been one time since to watch a pistol shooting.

One thing I will say about Frontier Firearms range is that they won't let you shoot anything that has any lead exposed on the builet. Copper jacketed only. Which, granted is most of the ammo you buy off the shelf, but I had some semi jacketed .357 ammo and it was a no go.

Plus no air conditioning. Can get a bit warm in there. I was there this morning and was starting to sweat by the time I left.

Guest TankerHC

Plus no air conditioning. Can get a bit warm in there. I was there this morning and was starting to sweat by the time I left.

Our local indoor range (Bout half a mile from me) has no AC either. Gets so hot in there you cant hardly shoot, spend half your time wiping sweat from your eyes. I asked the owner why they don't have AC. Reason is that the EPA requires a lot of expensive filtration if they run AC since (according to the EPA) the smoke and powder would be a heavy pollutant going out. If he paid to install AC and filtration, he couldn't afford to keep the range. So, no AC.