Diamondback DB9

Guest Republican

Guest Republican

Being the typical gun nut, I researched this purchase to death before buying and I did not find many flattering reviews of the Diamondback DB9. There are scores of forum post and videos reporting problems with the gun that present themselves immediately after buying this mini 9mm. In one video I saw a guy that had just had the gun kaboom on him from using +p ammo! Many of the post were older mind you, but it is still a big deal to me to pay almost $400 for what many consider to be a little paper weight.

First and foremost, I am a huge fan of Glock and this gun "appears" to be a scaled down single stack Glock 9mm (which is something Glock should have done years ago). I really loved the thin/lightweightness, 9 mm chambering and many similarities to a Glock. After viewing and handling one of these for the past couple years or so, I decided it was time to replace the .380 as a carry weapon and pull the trigger on the DB9. So after I haggled with the gun shop owner to discount the price on what I called an un-marketable blaze orange DB9 (I really like the color, it was just a haggle strategy) I was on my way home.

As I said, I had already made my first impression of this gun a while ago, it looks good and feels good, so all that was really left was to shoot the little thing. I also haggled the local gun shop into giving me a deal on some 9mm ammo with the purchase of the gun and they were more than happy to deal with me on that. I got 150 rounds of 115gr FMJ ammo (Federal and Blazer) and a box of Hornady Critcal Defense 115gr. I could not wait for a better time to shoot the gun, so as soon as I got home I disassembled it, cleaned it, lubed it, loaded it and shot it.

First 50 Rounds were flawless, Not FTF's or FTE's. The felt recoil was not that bad, however, the gun does snap a little in comparison to a typical compact 9 or a pocket 380 and is somewhat similar to that if a lightweight 38. The trigger was exactly what it should be, not to light, not to heavy and much better than the notorious "country mile" trigger pull of the popular Bodyguard 380 trigger I have tried to become familiar with. I stopped at 50 that day due to the texturing on the back of the grip being so abrasive to the palm of my hand, which is not a bad thing as this is not a dedicated range gun or plinker. I was still skeptical as the negative forum post I read were still echoing in my head, "its junk", "dont buy it", "FTF,FTE", "its not trustworthy", "my friend had one that......", "carry a full size 1911 and forget about plastic guns" and so on.

The next day I was expecting the gun to show its flaws, as I didnt clean it from the previous day after putting 50 rounds of Blazer Brass through it. To my suprise I went right through another 50 rounds of ammo with not one issue. I was tryig to focus on accuracy this day more than the previous day and was very impressed with about a 6" group consistently. Keep in mind, that i have larger hands and have proven to be only a mediocre shot with smaller pistols.

Later that evening, a friend and I shot the remaining 50 FMJ along with some of the Hornady Critcal Defense through the gun and still not one FTF/FTE. I was as impressed and as pleased as I could have been with the gun. I feel that whatever "kinks" Diamondback may have had with their earlier firearms that they must be very sparce these days. The mini 9 is everthing I hoped it would be and more, now that aftermarket companies are starting to provide more of accessories and carry options for the DB9.

The gun has proven to me that it is reliable for concealed carry. Im not going to put thousands of rounds through it to try to prove to myself that its not ,as many people do. Anyone else have any experiences, agree or disagree? I would love your thoughts on the gun. I just thought I would offer my opinion after reading so many bad reviews on the DB9 and didnt experience any of the same issues. I love it and I am glad I purchased it.

Edited by Republican
  • Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My best friend purchased a db9 upon my recommendation of me having a db380. It had many ftf had to use a death grip to prevent it. It's going to be sent back. I have heard that diamond back has an amazing turn around on these issues. On a side note my db380 is awesome it feeds everything but seller belloit.

The fun part of the db9 was the recoil I actually wasn't prepared for it not bad but a decent kick.

I researched the DB9 a while back. Ended up purchasing a Kahr CM9 instead. With the DB9, it seemed folks either got one that worked really well or one that didn't. The ratio of bad to good reports caused me too much concern to take the risk on the DB9. It's definately a compact little sucker. With it's size and weight, it should make a great little pocket carry piece. Just wish it had a better overall history.

Edited by chrisw670

I had the DB9 up until a few weeks ago (wanted a Sig 938). It did have some FTF's, but I figure it was more ammo-picky than anything. Very light and concealed very easily. Snappy is an understatement. I bought a Hogue Jr slip-on grip for it, and it made a world of difference. Not a bad little gun overall.

Guest CZ2075

I have had a second hand DB9 with a YA serial # for over a month now. During the first 150 rounds of 115 & 124 grain fmj, I had some ftf and fte issues. I believe some of the ftfs to be form issues (limp wristing) on my part. The 115 gr Remington JHP recommended by Diamondback seemed to work flawlessly though. I pulled the barrel, and smoothed all the rough edges on the feed ramp and chamber. The little sucker now feeds and ejects like a champ with the Remington 115 gr HP's and PMC Starfire 124 gr HP's. I did notice after about 150 rounds that I had the frame pin walk a little, so I may upgrade to the knurled pins used on the new DB9's. Overall I am very happy with the gun. I am glad to see some good PR for these little guns. I also was a little concerned about all the bad press. By the way, what holsters are you guys using to carry your DB9's?

Edited by CZ2075

I've started carrying one, mostly around the house & shop. I still carry the Colt New Agent .45 out. My DB9 has not had any FTF or FTE issues, but I've only put about 100 rounds through it. It's really tiny, and doesn't pass the Macho Man Carry Gun Test, but it suits it's designed purpose. I'm experimenting with the Remora #4 holster. Problem with that is with that I'm afraid it will shift around and fall out because it's so small. I ordered a Uncle George wallet for it. It's a great back pocket holster but you need a deeper pocket for it to be unseen. It's good for dress pants & jeans, not so good for the short back pocket cargo shorts I live in.

Cherokee Slim

Look at Uncle George here -

http://www.unclegeorgeswalletholsters.com/Pages/PurchaseHolster.aspx

Edited by Cherokee Slim
Guest Republican

Been carrying it in an uncle mikes size 1 IWB holster and I dont even notice it. Not the best holster by far, but it does have enough of a rise in the material on the back of the holster to prevent the beavertail from gouging me in the side. Its doing the job now, but I am in the market for a better one.

I bought a parker for my db380 its well made the only problem I had was that the clips actually touched the front of the grip it wouldnt be a problem on one of their larger holsters but it was a no go for me. If I get around to it I'm just going to reposition the clip. The n82 holster I purchased for my para warthog actually works for my db380 too. I was using the uncle mikes iwb for all my carry guns, but the n82 is the most comfortable holster I've bought.

I have a db9 with a couple of hundred rounds through it with no issues. As far as a death grip, I'd say that all of these pocket 9s requires a very firm grip in order to function correctly. The pf9 I used to have was the same. I'm not saying there are not some "bad" ones out there but the reliable feeding of semis is generally related to the shooters grip.

Edited by sigmtnman
Thanks sL1k. I really like the looks of the n82. Did you order it online, or is there a dealer near you that stocks them?

I ordered it directly from them, I couldnt find a dealer close.

I have a db9 with a couple of hundred rounds through it with no issues. As far as a death grip, I'd say that all of these pocket 9s requires a very firm grip in order to function correctly. The pf9 I used to have was the same. I'm not saying there are not some "bad" ones out there but the reliable feeding of semis is generally related to the shooters grip.

I have a very very strong grip and when I say death grip I mean as hard as I can to the point where indentions from the grip were imbedded in my palm for 30 minutes after, if I even let up a teeny bit from my strongest grip possible it ftf.

I have a very very strong grip and when I say death grip I mean as hard as I can to the point where indentions from the grip were imbedded in my palm for 30 minutes after, if I even let up a teeny bit from my strongest grip possible it ftf.

Have you ever fired a pf9?

Edited by sigmtnman
  • 1 year later...

Just bought the DB9 Monday 3-17-14. Love that I can carry it a 9mm in my front pocket. Was carrying a Kel-tec 32 but wanted to a bigger cal. Only fired 2 round but heading to the range this weekend.

Any updates on this pistol? Still working for you guys or long gone?

Thanks

Edited by sgtyork

DB lost patent infringement lawsuit to Kahr just about a year ago. There's an update that hasn't been mentioned in thread. :)

- OS

Thanks for the information. But I was wondering if anyone still had a DB9 and their option after having it a while. Just sent mine back because every magazine change the bullet would hang on the firing pin sticking out and not go into battery.

Still have mine and I fire a few round through every month pretty much.  Shame you had issues with yours.  Do you have any pics of the issue by chance?

DB lost patent infringement lawsuit to Kahr just about a year ago. There's an update that hasn't been mentioned in thread. :)

- OS

Did they license it or redesign it?  It looks like they are still making them.