An explanation is due

Guest WyattEarp

I once called my girlfriend a bitch--not because I am a misogynist--but because I thought that word would hurt her, and she deserved to be hurt after what she had done. I suspect the OP chose the "N" word for the same reason. Yes, poor choices, but hardly cause for branding.

Welcome back.

• Admin Team

So, after careful consideration, the moderating team has decided to ban this account from TGO. .Since there's going to be speculation here, I'll offer my reasoning behind it. Other staff members may add additional comments later.

First of all, this thread shouldn't even be here. When this incident was brought to light earlier this year, the user offered an agreement to the moderating team to voluntarily leave the board in return for closing a thread that he didn't feel would be in his best interest to comment on. We took him at his word and closed the thread. We were surprised and disappointed to wake up earlier this week and find this.

Reading the thread objectively, I was initially disturbed by a couple of things, but primarily the user posting and then deleting material when a user called him on it (see DaveTN's post). But, I put this aside and tried to move past it. I kept returning to it as users commented throughout the day, however.

This was a mistake, as I kept returning to the first post. What really disturbed me was right up top in the second paragraph. The user admits to sending the email, but then goes on to claim it wasn't racist, that he didn't threaten the councilman and that his actions weren't against the law.

I won't make a claim about the user being a racist. But this message wasn't a slur or epithet voiced unwittingly in a moment of anger. It was an email that someone had to take the time to find a contact, compose and send. The email was certainly racist.

The email did make a threat. "You have been warned" may not seem to carry a lot of weight as a threat, but given our history in the south, it is loaded with specific meaning. Ask the families Medgar Evers, James Cheney or Andrew Goodman about the warning. It is certainly a threat in a message like this, and I would have called the cops, too.

Finally, the user did in fact break the law. He was arrested and charged. The fact that he received a diversion and later had his record expunged does not change this. I may not agree with speech being against the law, but when you make start making threats, you've crossed a line.

I don't have any doubt that this case has changed Drew, and I take him at his word that it's for the better. I hope he continues on that path and contributes to society - be it in journalism, photography, storm tracking or anywhere else his life may lead him.

But, he's done here. As a gun owner, your actions and your words speak for all of us. Especially as an HCP holder, you represent our community as a whole everytime you strap on a weapon. This isn't really a matter of forgiveness, as he hasn't wronged me, or any of us. But his posts in this thread also indicate to me that he's not ready to represent this community yet, either.

I had restrained from posting in here, as I would NOT have been the type to say "welcome back friend! *heres a pat on the back*". Even before the original thread that caused his leave, he had not been high up on the list of what I would consider 'good characters' that this board seems to be abundant of. I appreciated that he was admitting he was wrong and trying to move on, but once a bridge is burned I don't believe it is rebuilt overnight. It takes time.

I give my backing to the forum administration as given time I don't think much good would have come of this.

Edited by nysos

Maybe I misread OP intent, but regardless My "welcome back" was intended as a second/additional chance, not to condone or approve of bad behavior. Grace and mercy was what was on my mind when I made the post, not a pat on the back or validation of character.

And forgot to add - I have no problem with board administration taking exception to an account holder. Its their perrogative.

Edited by R_Bert

I don't have a dog in this fight, but in my opinion, his "admitting" to wrongdoing was not an acceptance of actions. He still was making excuses and attempting to downplay the severity of threating an innocent dude. If he was really apologetic it would look like this: "I f**ked up, recognize my mistakes and will seek to do better in the future." He is not sorry for what he did deep down, he is just sorry he got caught. Apologizing or accepting responsibility should not include a "but". It should just be unconditional. His was not. I do not feel bad for him.

• Like 1

I don't have a dog in this fight, but in my opinion, his "admitting" to wrongdoing was not an acceptance of actions. He still was making excuses and attempting to downplay the severity of threating an innocent dude. If he was really apologetic it would look like this: "I f**ked up, recognize my mistakes and will seek to do better in the future." He is not sorry for what he did deep down, he is just sorry he got caught. Apologizing or accepting responsibility should not include a "but". It should just be unconditional. His was not. I do not feel bad for him.

I agree. That's why I said nothing to him. He had no regrets. He simply missed hanging around TGO. Regardless if we like it or not we (TGO members) will be judged by the company that we keep on this forum. The worst thing that could happen to this forum is to be wrongly recognized as a place for bigots, racist and scum to spread their poisonous ideas.

The worst thing that could happen to this forum is to be wrongly recognized as a place for bigots, racist and scum to spread their poisonous ideas.

Yeah, keep reality on the down low, and everything will be just fine.

Over the years, I've met more than a few current TGO members who didn't appear to have any issue throwing the "N-word" and other racial slurs around as if it were part of their everyday vocabulary. Of course they were doing this while not having a clue that I'm the Uncle of a half-black nephew and a half-hispanic nephew.

And as far as the criminal charges go, I'd bet the farm that TGO has more than a few members who've had embarrassing run-ins with the law at least on time in their life.

I believe in forgiveness and second chances for most crimes and mistakes, but everyone has their own line.

• Like 1
If he agreed to never again show his face around TGO, I understand this decision. Anything beyond that, I'm not sure I can agree.

"The world will not be destroyed by those who do evil, but by those who watch them without doing anything." ~ Albert Einstein

+1

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk 2

Guest bkelm18

I agree with this. I didn't buy his BS explanations the first time, certainly didn't buy it this time. That's all I got to say about that.

• Administrator

If he agreed to never again show his face around TGO, I understand this decision. Anything beyond that, I'm not sure I can agree.

As always, it's worth remembering that TGO is not a democracy and a majority vote isn't required when we decide to move on something that we feel is in the best interest of the site and it's membership overall.

Mac posted more than I would have but don't let that mislead you into thinking that he was trying to justify it to you. It was simply an explanation of why the decision was made.

Closing the thread.