Chattanooga Special Deputies

Guest 270win

Guest 270win

http://www.timesfreepress.com/news/2012/jun/17/tennessee-sheriff-doles-out-arrest-firearms-powers/

It appears that the sheriff in Hamilton County still gives out these deputy cards to people who are not police. What did it take for the non govt employees to get one? I saw on the list one guy is a doctor and others are business owners.

I would guess these guys can carry in schools in Hamilton County with this card? Or the posted parks and posted properties?

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm going to say so since they have full arrest powers. Hehe I wonder if you get the nice Leo glock discount too. I actually wouldn't mind carrying that card.

What did it take for the non govt employees to get one? I saw on the list one guy is a doctor and others are business owners.

I would guess these guys can carry in schools in Hamilton County with this card? Or the posted parks and posted properties?

Usually people who get special deputy cards are either people who donated large sums of money to the Sheriff's campaign fund or prominent people in the community who are friendly with the Sheriff.

TCA 39-17-1309 subsection E 4 says that "Officers of the state, or of any county, city or town, charged with the enforcement of the laws of the state, when in the discharge of their official duties are exempt from the statute concerning carrying weapons on school property." I don't think that they would be exempt because a Special Deputy does not have any official duties. Unless they were called in to action to quell a large fight, riot, or other emergency. Also they are not certified officers because they have not been certified by the Peace Officer Standards and Training Commission. This of course would have to be answered by a District Attorney.

You are joking right?

Think about who generally gets these cards... then ask yourself who working for the sheriff in their right mind is going to arrest on a felony charge said person on the technicality they aren't on 'official' business?

Ask yourself how is it that Nashville Metro officers are all carrying at MTSU while attending classes there. and nobody is getting arrested?

Usually people who get special deputy cards are either people who donated large sums of money to the Sheriff's campaign fund or prominent people in the community who are friendly with the Sheriff.

TCA 39-17-1309 subsection E 4 says that "Officers of the state, or of any county, city or town, charged with the enforcement of the laws of the state, when in the discharge of their official duties are exempt from the statute concerning carrying weapons on school property." I don't think that they would be exempt because a Special Deputy does not have any official duties. Unless they were called in to action to quell a large fight, riot, or other emergency. Also they are not certified officers because they have not been certified by the Peace Officer Standards and Training Commission. This of course would have to be answered by a District Attorney.

I believe there was a AG opinion about LE carrying on campus it was stated they may carry regardless if on duty. One statute overrides the other I would have to dig around to find it.

As far as the special deputy cards I have seen them issued to people that had no business with them but some places like private university police departments are issued them to give the arrest powers. Vandy police are issued special police commissions by Metro PD but are only good during work. After end of work they have to carry by a HCP.

Edited by Pain103
Guest 270win

I have heard that FedEx security has these cards, but that they are only good while working. I have not heard of people in Shelby County getting these cards recently. I'm sure it is possible and might be good to get to carry wherever you want.

These cards have been around forever. The county sheriff would hand them out left & right in the old days if you voted right. It doesn't have anything to do with arresting people. It was 100% permission to carry a gun, and to get out of speeding tickets. "Chief" Special Deputy meant you had to call the Sheriff and not arrest them for DWI or simple charges.

Maybe things have changed but with the HCP I doubt it's worth the political cost to give them out like playing cards anymore.

Cherokee Slim

Guest Lester Weevils

Wonder how big a political contribution it takes to become a special deputy? It would be a neat keepsake, but not as cool as an honorary Elvis FBI badge from Nixon. :)

Guest 270win

I'd say if you can legally carry in schools, all parks, and past these silly posted signs, this might be a good deal to get. I doubt this would work for LEOSA outside Tennessee, since it is not a reserve or full time deputy card.

I'd say if you can legally carry in schools, all parks, and past these silly posted signs, this might be a good deal to get. I doubt this would work for LEOSA outside Tennessee, since it is not a reserve or full time deputy card.

Depends on how the ID cards are printed up... My guess, they'd work as well as reserve id cards would.

Depends on how the ID cards are printed up... My guess, they'd work as well as reserve id cards would.

I carried one of those deputy cards for years. Back in those days you had to be bonded and sworn in just like any other deputy and you had the same arrest powers as anyone else. Now days I do not think you have much authority unless you are POST certified.

I carried one of those deputy cards for years. Back in those days you had to be bonded and sworn in just like any other deputy and you had the same arrest powers as anyone else. Now days I do not think you have much authority unless you are POST certified.

Not an expert... but have a couple of friends who are reserve deputies... they have arrest powers, and everything just like a regular deputy, only they can't be paid. Under state law they go through a fairly long training program at the department level instead of the state academy.

Honestly, I think it would be a lot better for many communities to go with larger number of reserve officers/deputies instead of increasing their payroll...

they just have their nose in the right place.

A "special deputy" isn't trained or qualified the same as a reserve duputy. The ring around the nose should be adequate identification of a special deputy, not an id card.