How did you feel the first time you carried?

I'm a retired military officer and carried a pistol under my arm for almost two years in Iraq, an uncertain environment, where I was able to provide for my own personal safety and was responsible for the safety of 30 others. I feel I have honorably earned the right to wear and to carry a pistol in these times, much as in another time I might have worn a sword.

Finally receiving my carry permit and arming up while out and around was a satisfying feeling of calm normalcy.

I am still responsible for my own personal safety and that of my lovely bride. I sometimes introduce myself in social situations as "her bodyguard," and I mean it.

I still feel a general sense of responsibility to protect those around me to the extent that I can.

Edited by QuietDan
I'm a retired military officer and carried a pistol under my arm for almost two years in Iraq, an uncertain environment, where I was able to provide for my own personal safety and was responsible for the safety of 30 others. I feel I have honorably earned the right to wear and to carry a pistol in these times, much as in another time I might have worn a sword.

Finally receiving my carry permit and arming up while out and around was a satisfying feeling of calm normalcy.

I am still responsible for my own personal safety and that of my lovely bride. I sometimes introduce myself in social situations as "her bodyguard," and I mean it.

I still feel a general sense of responsibility to protect those around me to the extent that I can.

If there were only more people like you in this world. Thanks.

Sent from my iPad in the back yard on a beautiful day… :)

Pre HCP, I use to carry a stinger pistol in my front shirt pocket in both public and work! I was in my mid 20s, stupid and arrogant. It was a thrill thing. Post HCP, my first carry was at Kroger with my Beretta 92FS and like others, I thought everyone was looking at me. But I did have a sense I was better equipped for both personal protection and what if someone tried to hold up Krogers, what would I do. That was 15+ years ago. Now, its no different than carrying my trusty little case peanut knife. Its a tool at my fingertips nothing more.

In case you do not know what a stinger is (I still wish I still had one):

http://images7.jpg

If there were only more people like you in this world. Thanks.

Sent from my iPad in the back yard on a beautiful day… :)

Amen! I teach college (adult students, evening classes and I love to find out I have LEO's or military in the room. Edited by bentonbjones

hard to remember it. I am sure I was a little worried about it showing, though my gun was small. Mostly I remember feeling empowered, kinda like getting your driver's liscense. It also felt like a duty -- I have often viewed my HCP as a political statement (simply getting your name on the list, upping the #s and %s so when some politician gets a bad idea, someone can point to us and say "you are about to anger 10% of the voters..." and so on. I dunno, I feel its almost as important as NRA membership that way --- even if I dislike the NRA's tactics and nonsense at times, the numbers work in our favor so I keep a membership, if that makes sense? They may not be the best but they DO represent me fairly well on a regular basis.

Frankly, I felt good - mostly because I had a tool to provide for my own self-protection.

I also felt that I had taken a step toward being a true citizen...not dissimilar to how I feel every time I step into a voting booth.

Well said!