How did you feel the first time you carried?

I've heard quite a few people describe that they felt like everyone was looking at them when they first started caring. I never got that feeling for some reason. I actually felt no different than if I wasn't carrying. I just went on about my day, and this is with me concealed carrying a full sized Glock. How did you feel? Did you feel uneasy or anything?

• Administrator

Nervous. I was young, though, and this was back in the mid 1990's when Kentucky first started issuing their CWP so the whole permit thing really wasn't as common as it is now. We could always carry open back then without a permit; the permit just allowed you to conceal it.

Presently I think the notion of carry is "mainstream" enough (thanks largely to the Internet bringing like-minded people together) that it really shouldn't make a person feel as though they were doing something out of the ordinary. Sadly, it's the granola eaters out there who still control the media and continue to put forth the idea that you're doing something wrong if you are actively exercising your Second Amendment rights.

Nervous, but kind of like a good nervous...

Felt weird to walk in a store with a five seven on my hip.

But most people are oblivious to it nowadays.

Seems like the only folks that notice are people that love guns.

Lol

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Guest Springfield1911guy

Coming here to Tennessee from a communist New England state, that won't give a permit to anyone

who cannot prove a specific NEED, (or doesn't know the right people) to carry, for the first time in my life, I felt like a truely free man.

Thank you Tennessee.

At the time I had been carrying around the house trying to get my holster broken in and figuring out best position that was comfortable for carry. I was literally about to leave the house with my girlfriend when I checked the mail and my permit had come. I ran back inside, strapped up and we went out for an afternoon of running errands. I wasn't really nervous, but there was the constant thought at the time of making sure my shirt didn't ride up, etc.

Even though I would have been perfectly legal, I have a baby face and look much younger than I am - so I didn't want to have to deal with anyone calling the police on me my first time out. It is at the point now where I just don't really care, I know my shirt has ridden up to the point where people have seen it. I just go about my business.

Like a junior cheerleader under the bleachers for the 1st time..

but really it was nervous anticipating being made & yet I felt versed enough in law/consitutionality to verbally defend myself from the tree humpers. At this point, especially after all the closet libtards on facebook have revealed their general paranoia of gun nuts I'm so sick of tip toein through the tulips for those people I care not one wit who sees me. I routinely carry owb with untucked shirts that print. Open carry from time to time as well. Don't dwell just keep on movin on

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Tapatalk 2

Felt like anyone who looked at me would know I was armed. My personal observation is most people don't look at you if you don't give them a reason. This weekend I almost didn't notice a guy OCing at Walmart. No one seemed to care. I know I didn't.

I felt nervously but a better sense of security.

3 weeks ago I went to the store and as I was checking out I noticed 2 guys that kept walking in and out of the place and kept looking at people in a manor I would consider "casing" style. These guys were so out of place and not from around heya. That has been the only time I have ever even thought about my firearm while in public since the first couple of days I carried. I carry everyday and everywhere I can. Almost second nature at this point

Edited by 1pointofview
Guest ONEMEAN460

No really, I felt a little weird. But like stated above it fades quickly. The only ones that really notice are the ones that like guns.

It has just been about four years ago that I started carrying outside my home. In fact, my original permit expired this month (no worries - did the renewal thing a couple of months ago.) At the time, however, I didn't belong to any discussion boards that had forums specifically related to carrying. I also didn't know many people who had their permit at the time. Funny thing is, the first place I went to try out carrying in public was Walmart - even though I had not heard of the Wally Walk at the time. It just seemed like a natural place to do it.

The first time or two going into stores and the like, I was nervous about being made. Mostly, I kept thinking, "Are they really just going to let me carry a gun in here?" Even after that feeling passed, I was guilty of either walking with my right arm pressed tightly to my side (to keep my shirt from riding up) or checking to make sure my gun was still there every couple of minutes. As others have said, though, all that eventually passed.

It has just been about four years ago that I started carrying outside my home. In fact, my original permit expired this month (no worries - did the renewal thing a couple of months ago.) At the time, however, I didn't belong to any discussion boards that had forums specifically related to carrying. I also didn't know many people who had their permit at the time. Funny thing is, the first place I went to try out carrying in public was Walmart - even though I had not heard of the Wally Walk at the time. It just seemed like a natural place to do it.

The first time or two going into stores and the like, I was nervous about being made. Mostly, I kept thinking, "Are they really just going to let me carry a gun in here?" Even after that feeling passed, I was guilty of either walking with my right arm pressed tightly to my side (to keep my shirt from riding up) or checking to make sure my gun was still there every couple of minutes. As others have said, though, all that eventually passed.

No need to worry about Walmart. Our policy is we will allow it if it's ok with that states law. If any manager says otherwise, they don't know their company policy.

• Like 1

I open carried my Kimber to Cracker Barrel where a bunch of us were meeting before one of the gun shows in Murfreesboro. I wouldn't say I was nervous, but I also made it a point not to "look" like I was even thinking about it. I didn't have any issues even open carrying. My friends say I look like a cop so no one even gave me a second look. This was a couple of years ago before all the gun buster signs went up.

• 1 month later...

Awkward. I just recently started carrying again. I feel safer, but in places where being a target is more likely, like a gas station, I just find myself thinking, "I don't want to kill anybody. Just leave me alone."

I also find myself concerned about how well it's concealed not for causing alarm but because of the slightest chance someone would try to take it from behind.

A few months ago I was open carrying my fat cell phone on my waist. I knew some one had come up behind me. The guy was just too close. It would have taken very little for him to have jerked the phone off my waist. Even though I conceal my pistol, it may be noticeable to some, and I wish I had eyes on the back of my head.