pocket carry with no safety

Ok, I have a ruger LCP .380 that I keep in the truck and pocket carry. I love the gun but I do wish it had a safety. I keep my truck locked but I am just a little apprehensive keeping one in the chamber. Does anyone else have a pocket carry without a safety? If you do are you comfortable keeping one in the chamber at all time?

i don't pocket carry, but from what I have heard about the LCP, it has a very long and heavy DA trigger pull. If you keep it in a proper pocket holster, should be no problem to carry with one in the chamber.

I do carry my other guns in holsters OWB and always have +1 ready to go.

I have an LCP. I pocket carry it, and dont worry about it. The long trigger pull IS the safety. You do need to carry it in a pocket holster that covers the trigger. Carrying it unchambered is not something I would do. It's not heavy enough to hurt someone when you throw it at them.

• Like 4

I wouldn't personally do it, if SHTF so quickly that I can't rack my gun, then I was doomed anyways. - this is why I prefer weapons with decockers..

The only exception is the one around the bed because of the possibility of being woken up in the middle of a bad situation. But that one stays put

My LCP has been my faithful companion for several years now. I always have a round in the chamber and use a Desantis Nemisis holster. The other day I threw a pair of pants on the bed forgetting I had my gun in them (doh!), the gun went flying and hit the carpet with no issues.

Thanks my people. I keep it in a holster and I never thought about the long trigger pull. I have been keeping one in the chamber for the last week but wanted to know what everyone else did. I have found chambering the first round problematic so the more I think about it, in a time of need I don't want to have to worry about that. Just wanted to know what the masses felt comfortable with.

Guest dfsixstring

The LCP trigger pull is a lot like that of a revolver, not quite as stiff, but close. I have no concerns keeping a round in the chamber.

Dfsixstring

SR9c

LCP

RST4S

This will not be a popular answer and goes against the grain of rapid response if you need to employ your weapon instantly, but...

For me anyway, I normally don't carry one in the chamber, y'all ought to thank me for that.

No matter where I'm at or what I'm doing... Murphy is my side kick! My pants and stuff get hung up in the most unlikely places, dismounting my little farm tractor and my shorts / pants getting hung up in a control lever, my seat belt grabbing the top of my CCW getting out of the vehicle, I could go on and on. Hell, just last week, one little stick in my lawn and just walking along gets stuck in one of the loops in my shoe, and I have to untie it to remove it? Everything always gets hung up on me, go figure?

I myself, with Mr. Murphy looking over my shoulder, would rather spend the extra second racking a round in a life or death situation, than Mr. Murphy presenting himself and having a ND, and paying the price.

I think a quote from a Clint Eastwood film is appropriate. Son, you have to know your limitations.

IMHO, with my luck even wearing the best custom made holsters as I do, I would rather be a victim than have a ND and hurt an innocent bystander.

If it were not for bad luck, I would have no luck at all.

1pointofview, glad to hear you already had the pocket holster part covered. Getting one of those little guns charged in an emergency could be problematic for anyone. I'd never consider my P-32 w/ one in the chamber unsafe and I'd also never consider trying to aim it in an OS situation either. That's why I put a Crimson Trace laser trigger guard on it.

... Carrying it unchambered is not something I would do. It's not heavy enough to hurt someone when you throw it at them.

That's good stuff right there! I gotta remember that one.

.... - this is why I prefer weapons with decockers..

+1 for guns with decockers, but I can't think of a single good choice for pocket carry with a decocker right off the top of my head

I pocket carry a Kahr PM9 and Ruger SP101 in DeSantis Nemesis Holsters. I use to worry a little about about the PM9 but never gave another thought about the revolver. Convinced myself that the only true safety was keeping your finger off the trigger and carrying in a holster at all times.

Ok, I have a ruger LCP .380 that I keep in the truck and pocket carry. I love the gun but I do wish it had a safety. I keep my truck locked but I am just a little apprehensive keeping one in the chamber. Does anyone else have a pocket carry without a safety? If you do are you comfortable keeping one in the chamber at all time?

If it suffers an accidental discharge, you could be the next Lance Armstrong!

IMG_1836.jpg

Not sure how the trigger would get pulled while in a pocket holster. I am quite certain the gun can't be fired without the trigger being pulled, and it ain't a hair trigger. I carry mine loaded.

If I need a gun suddenly, I want point and click. I certainly don't want the hassle of a safety, racking the slide, cocking a hammer, etc.

I guess I'm the oddball for not having one in the chamber.. It's all personal preference, but the way I look at it is that not a single person around has had an accidental discharge with an empty chamber, and not a single one of those people who were involved with an accidental discharge woke up that morning and said "Today seems like a great day to drop my pistol and hope it fires!"

Last week at work we were just talking about a secret service agent just got canned a couple years back when he dropped his weapon in one of the bathrooms in our building and it discharged. The likelihood of something happening is slim, but the impact if it does is immeasurable.