New regulations for postings? (Opinions)

After seeing a couple transparent small gun buster signs, I've been thinking about this alot. Should there be a required size and color of gunbuster signs?

Lately I have been paranoid with checking front entrances very closely to see if they might have one of these signs and I just didn't see it. Seeing the repercussions that can be placed upon someone carrying past these signs, I think there should be an official posting businesses must have. Opinions and do you think this will ever happen?

Sent from my SCH-R930 using Tapatalk 2

IMO, on signs, if'n I don't see it, it never happened. (and more than likely, they will never see my weapon anyway)

not loosing sleep over the efficiency or efficacy of their placement.

Edited by R_Bert
  • Like 2

After seeing a couple transparent small gun buster signs, I've been thinking about this alot. Should there be a required size and color of gunbuster signs?

Lately I have been paranoid with checking front entrances very closely to see if they might have one of these signs and I just didn't see it. Seeing the repercussions that can be placed upon someone carrying past these signs, I think there should be an official posting businesses must have. Opinions and do you think this will ever happen?

Probably not until someone gets charged for carrying past a sign like you describe and then challenge it in court. Until then, I wouldn't sweat it. It hasn't happened yet as far as anyone knows and probably won't. I think the law itself is BS, but I don't think it carries any weight. If it did people would be getting charged every day.

• Like 1

I know its never happened I.just think the gray area regarding postings/carrying past is way too big. I mean who is to decide what is visible or not.

Of course it is, but it really means nothing. I bet if you carry past a 2 ft x 2ft piece of plywood with a giant gunbuster you won't get charged. Stupid law, but nothing to worry about. I would like to see it changed, but if it doesn't happen I won't lose sleep just yet. If it is a law that begins to be enforced, then you will see a big pushback and perhaps our elected leadership will do something.

Guest ArmaDeFuego

I glance around the entrance as I go in, but I'm not gonna stop & scour every nook of the door for 20 minutes before I go in somewhere. If its big & I see it I'll take my business elsewhere. If its 1 inch by 1 inch then more than likely I wont spot it & will head inside. The worst they can do is ask me to leave. I dont think they would be able to detain me until police arrived......

No. Leave it the way it is now. Just as there is a grey area for the poster there is also a grey area for us. Like said before, if its not seen then it doesn't exist. If it's changed and everyone must post a sign that is 12" x 12" in x color at x spot, then the grey area is gone. Conceal and it will never be an issue.

• Like 2
Not everyone conceals 24/7

If I were the type to OC, even on occasion, I'd be more concerned. Since I never do and try to practice "stealth carry", I give a quick glance for a sign and/or metal detectors and go about my business.

I, for one, will NOT intentionally carry past a properly posted sign. I'll go elsewhere. However, like ArmaDeFuego said...I ain't standing outside the door scouring every inch of doors and windows either.

Guest 270win

i'd rather have this gray than concrete so that you can get out of it pretty easy and just be asked to leave.

I'd also like the fine removed for such signs should grayness not get you out of the situation.

You might want to conceal if you are concerned about these signs. I carry a snub and never worry.

.....I'd also like the fine removed for such signs should grayness not get you out of the situation.

Not that a class B misdemeanor conviction and 500 clams is to be taken lightly, but there's also the other statute that says HCP will be suspended or revoked for a 1359 conviction.

All relatively moot. So far.

- OS

Not everyone conceals 24/7

Gray area might help you get out, but could also bury you if you want to look at it that way. Just bbecause its never happened doesn't mean it won't

If you're that worried you can use the ancient technique of putting your shirt over it. I'm pretty certain that the first person who gets charged under this will be someone that OC's and then attempts to argue the legal validity of the posting with the business owner.

• Like 2
  • 3 weeks later...

I find that I forget to look. :cool:

If I know there is a good chance Ill be taking the wife to the Mall ot It Is a work day I make sure im carrying IWB. Other than that I dont pay it a lot of attention and find most others dont either. I did have one guy start a conversation when he saw I was open carrying Saturday. Until he started talking about I had not noticed but the guy in front of me in line was open carrying as well.

Better signage is not what we actually need....what we actually need is withdraw of the special criminal penalties that are currently attached to carrying past a sign. At most, all we need, in terms of "punishment" is simple trespassing and then only if you are asked to leave and don't.

Edited by RobertNashville

We need someone like he who shall not be named to OC an AK pistol into a poorly posted place to test the theory....

Kidding aside, the regulations are quite clear already:

Notice of such prohibition shall be posted. Posted notices shall be displayed in prominent locations, including all entrances primarily used by persons entering the building, portion of the building or buildings where weapon possession is prohibited. If the possession of weapons is also prohibited on the premises of any such property as well as within the confines of a building located on such property, the notice shall be posted at all entrances to the premises that are primarily used by persons entering the property. The notice shall be in English but a notice may also be posted in any language used by patrons, customers or persons who frequent the place where weapon possession is prohibited. In addition to the sign, notice may also include the international circle and slash symbolizing the prohibition of the item within the circle. The sign shall be of a size that is plainly visible to the average person entering the building, premises or property and shall contain language substantially similar to the following:

which basically says you have to be able to see the thing.

Edited by Jonnin

After an absence of about a month off of TGO (for personal reasons), I have decided to post again. A sign should be a minimum of 12x12 and be a "gunbuster" or say " NO firearms, guns or weapons" allowed. And the penalty for carrying past a sign shoud be the same as a DUI. Arrest, Jail and revoction of our permits. Period! That's the only way the state will get our attention. I'm just as guilty as the rest....until now!

We call ourselves "Law Biding Citizens", but we "carry" past signs which is a criminal act. Why don't we all start calling ourselves "Criminals with HCP's"? No means No, no matter how it's posted. I will stand on this until the day I die!!!!

Dave S

I've heard DUI's can be very expensive. Arrest, jail and revocation? Really? Are we the ones who need to be

punished for the privilege?

I'm one who would like to see it go in the opposite direction. Laws need to be reasonable and just to be valid.

Otherwise, a law is meant only to make more criminals out of the citizenry. That's called tyranny.

After an absence of about a month off of TGO (for personal reasons), I have decided to post again. A sign should be a minimum of 12x12 and be a "gunbuster" or say " NO firearms, guns or weapons" allowed. And the penalty for carrying past a sign shoud be the same as a DUI. Arrest, Jail and revoction of our permits. Period! That's the only way the state will get our attention. I'm just as guilty as the rest....until now!

We call ourselves "Law Biding Citizens", but we "carry" past signs which is a criminal act. Why don't we all start calling ourselves "Criminals with HCP's"? No means No, no matter how it's posted. I will stand on this until the day I die!!!!

Dave S

I have never knowingly carried past a sign and I have no plans to do so why do you feel the need to lump all HCP holders into one non-law-abiding basket?

What we need are NO SIGNS or at least, no sign that makes us carrying past one guilty of anything more than simple trespass.

As far as I'm concerned, no business open to AND DEPENDENT ON the public for its very financial existence should have the power to disarm me at all, with or without a "sign".

To those who see and choose to ignore the signs, do not come on to my property, then. Or near me. I cannot trust you armed. In my opinion, you are not safe to be around. You need a firearm safety refresher.

If you want to blatantly break a law like that, it makes me wonder what else you will do.

If you want the law changed, go get it done legally, do not just break it. Or will I read about you, in the near future, in the local Anti-gun rag, claiming to be a newspaper, proclaiming your flagrant breaking of the law, and demanding permits be revoked for all?

Your actions have consequences. Will the other permit holders be pleased, when your actions are held against them?

Edited by HvyMtl
Guest Wildogre

I would like to see a proscribed size and location for the gunbuster signs. Say the sign must be 3 inches or greater in diameter and placed between 4 and 5 feet off the ground on all exterior doors used by the public.