M&P45

Superman

Thinking bout getting one of these. I like my Glocks, but in 45 its just to big. But then the mags are more expensive and tear down is more complicated on the M&P. Decisions decisions. Oh and the trigger reset sucks on the M&P. There was one that sold on GB for $535 with 10 10rd mags and 1 14rd mag. If I could get a deal like that it would be easier to make the decision.

Edited by Superman
  • Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• Administrator

The trigger reset does not suck on the M&P, it is just different from what you are used to. The Apex DCAEK trigger kit fixes that for most folks who are coming over from the Glock world.

My M&P 45 mid-size is probably my favorite plastic handgun right now, and definitely my favorite of the slew of M&Ps that I own. It has the DCAEK and is a joy to shoot and carry.

You can improve the reset with an Apex RAM kit. Not sure if they make it for the 45 yet. Not as good as the Glock, but you can feel and hear it.

EDIT: What David said too. Last DCEAK I bought didn't include the RAM. Had to buy it seperately.

Edited by mikegideon
  • Administrator

The M&P sear is strange in that I really don't understand why there is so much variation in the feel from the factory between different batches. My M&P 40 has had, hands down, one of the best feeling triggers right out of the box. Crisp tactile reset with just the perfect amount of travel. My wife's M&P 9 breaks like a wet Popsicle stick and needs the DCAEK / RAM combination badly. My 45 had a good enough reset from the factory but was my guinea pig for the DCAEK and the resulting feel is superb.

I've had several of the M&P compacts and both had good sear reset / trigger feel. One of them dropped mags like crazy but it was a 1st generation and they hadn't figured out yet that there were problems with some of the mag releases. S&W fixed that promptly and it was a great gun ever thereafter.

I've not really handled too many post-2011 models of the M&P but I hear that those are by and large pretty darn good. I guess it took S&W a while to iron out the bugs.

I feel the exact same way you do about 45 Glocks. This is coming from a huge Glock 9/357/40 fan. I have never owned a 45 M&P but I fondle one every time I get a chance. I think one can get used to the trigger. I know it's apples to oranges but have you ever considered a heavier 45? I'm specifically thinking of a Sig 220 or 245..

The M&P 45c is user friendly from my experence with one over the course of a weekend of shooting one. It is more comfortable than it's Glock counterpart and has a more natural grip angle setting the bore axis in a more intuative plane. The example I used had a very nice trigger, far nicer than a M&P 9 and M&P 9c that I also had the opportunity to shoot as well. If I were in the market for a polymer frame 45acp pistol the M&P 45c would rule out a Glock.

I have 3 M&P pistols a 45fs, a 9c & a 40 Shield. I followed Burwell's instructions and modified the sears in all of them and polished the trigger bars in each of them as well. I would rather have any of them than the Glocks I have had in the past. I have had a G21, G30sf, and G27. I didn't like the trigger in any of them and reworked the trigger in the G30sf & G27 and also recontured the polymer frame to get rid of the hideous hook in the triggerguard and slightly relieve the rear of it to enable a higher hold. Despite all that work, they were still Glocks and I got rid of all of them. I actually prefer the sear design of the M&P to the cruciform sear in the Glock.

Just got back from the range with it. I really like this gun. I can see it replacing the 19 that I carry on occasion. Also shot some reloads thru it and my Glock 17 and 19 that were loaded with titegroup, I think I am going to like this powder to.