Charter Arms Southpaw and other lefty handguns

Guest CruiserZ31

Guest CruiserZ31

Does anyone here have experience with the Charter Arms Southpaw left-handed revolver? I've been reading about them a bit and they seem like a good option for a new, left-handed, gun enthusiast. They can be had brand new for $350, fire a .38 spl, and are specifically made with southpaw shooters in mind.

What other pistols out there are good for us lefties? I've heard anything M+P as well as 1911's.

Any input is appreciated.

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I can handle my Gen 3 G22 lefty all day long, been making righty work lefty for years now.

I use my index finger for the slide release and middle finger for the mag release.

The Gen 4s can be made for a lefty, well mag release any way.

beretta nano is lefty if wanted. CZ 82 or 83 are very lefty friendly. Many striker fired guns and DAOs are, just look for reversible mag release and if it has it, it is fine. Revolvers in general are ok left unless you want to carry/speedload, then the release is on the wrong side. For a carry revolver, look for a break-top.

They just don't get it. The mag release (or revolver release etc) is the #1 for a lefty carry gun. You can rack the slide to release it. You only hit the safety once and can wing it. But reloading is crucial to be left friendly because you are already in the fight and need to go fast at that point.

Edit: forgot to say. Makarov! Mag drop is on the heel of the gun, its hand-neutral. Safety is useless, its a DA/SA gun and can be ignored. Slingshot the slide and its perfectly usable by a lefty. And the mak was my carry gun for over a decade, just moved on to better triggers and lighter frames the past couple of years.

Edited by Jonnin

training is much more appropriate for a left handed shooter.

I don't want to be put off when I pick up a different pistol and can't function well with it.

the Springfield XD is also a good ambi gun as is the Glock.

I much prefer using my index finger to drop mag and slingshotting the slide opposed to the slide release anyway.

all my pistols that have a manual safety must be ambi safeties though.