Glock 19, Xdm 9, Sr9c

Mdunntn

Looking for opinions between these three guns. Having wactched some videos/reviews I am mainly inbetween the ruger and the glock. I know you definitely cannot go wrong with a glock, some people claim the sr9c has a better trigger and is the smallest of the three. Xdm is the heaviest and thickest of the three. This is going to mainly be a carry gun, with target shooting every now and then. Any help is appreciated guys.

I have owned all 3; the SR9 was a full size, as was the XD. The Ruger and XD have a 1911 type grip angle; the Glock does not. The Ruger will have a better trigger, if you remove the mag safety. Personally, I wouldn't recommend modifying a carry piece in that way. I wouldn't want to have ANY legal hassles.

My personal preference would be the Glock...

I like Glocks! I was real excited about the SR9 coming out. I went to my ffl to look at the first one he had and we decided to field strip it there. I was so disappointed with the internals, mainly due to all the safety related junk in there. I had already decided by this point it was not for me. Then we got it stuck trying to reassemble it. It took about 10 minutes to get it unstuck. This event was enough for me and the SR9. I love my LCP and had real high hopes for the SR9. If your comparing a fullsize XDM to a Glock 19 there not really in the same catagory. A Glock 19 and the compact XDM would be a little closer. I'll say I think the SIg 2022 is a great value at $400 new if your just looking for a polymer 9mm. They can be found new with 1 mag for $399.

I've shot all 3 quite a bit and agree that I would rule out the XD first too.

I like the grip angle of the Ruger better, but I shoot the Glock a little bit more accurately. The Ruger's trigger pull is longer, but it doesn't stack as much at the end as the Glock does.

The Glock is a heckuva lot simpler to disassemble/clean, you'll find a lot more compatible gear, and Glock mags are way cheaper, but the Ruger is lot less expensive. You can afford a couple of extra mags and a holster & mag pouch with the savings.

Overall it's a tough call. Sorry, if that just muddied the waters for you. In the end you know what the most important points are for you.

The sr9 had a loaded chamber indicator along with all of the other junk too right? I love my lcp also but hate how ruger is making some of these new guns. I was looking at a lc9/pf9 and low and behold pf9 has no safety features and the lc9 has the same old stuff.

I've never shot a glock I know some people don't like the grip angle, so I'll need to check that out also. I had a nightmare the other night and in the nightmare my 7 rounds of .380 just wasn't enough. Ive always heard of people having these but had never had one before and woke up covered in sweat.

Sent from my SCH-R930 using Tapatalk 2

Edited by Mdunntn

When I was looking for a compact G19'ish sized 9mm I made a spreadsheet listing a bunch of different guns. I don't have the #'s for the XD(m) 9mm handy, but here are the numbers for all the other guns listed in this thread. If you remove the service sized M&P9 from the mix, you'll see that the difference in size is pretty negligible for all 3. 0.15" variance in length, 0.7" in height, 0.09" in width, and 2.4oz in weight. Even the full sized M&P9 is only 0.78" longer than the G19 and 0.5" taller.

I eventually went with the first one I found a decent deal on (a Ruger SR9C) and have been quite pleased with it, but I suspect I'd have been pretty happy with any of them.

fzTI7.jpg

Edited by BryanP
Guest 6.8 AR

Depends on how you feel about the safeties, but the G19 is the standard bearer of that group.

I've never had a problem with a 19. I'm confident the others have their good points, also, but that

depends on what you're comfortable with. Try them all and see.

I'll often stick in a vote for the XD in these type threads:

Have three original XD 9 models.

- I shoot them better than any other semi I own.

- I can shoot a Glock about as well using sights, but Glocks don't point as well for me.

- I like the tactile/visual LCI and cocked indicators.

- I like the grip safety, another margin of safety when reholstering, and it's practically a contortionist's act to grip the gun to fire without activating it, takes much less pressure than the average 1911 even.

- The subbie model 13+1 capacity seems like magic

- OS

SR9c and G19 are a tossup

I think a G19 with 3.5# trigger bar is an awesome firearm

but the Ruger trigger is better IMO out of the box than a glock and is made in the usa

but you cant get aftermarket stuff for Rugers as easily,I did remove the mag disconnect from mine

So I own both :)

Edited by SonnyCrockett

I'll often stick in a vote for the XD

- I shoot them better than any other semi I own.

- The subbie model 13+1 capacity seems like magic

- OS

The first quote is all that matters.

That 13 round magazine is like voodoo, as is the 16 plus 1.

I am a Ruger fan, and judging from your avatar, you are as well. Of the three, the only one I own is the SR9C. All I can say is that I like it. I don't get too worked up over all the safety stuff, I never really understood how all that really mattered. I personally like an external safety on my carry gun unless it is a reasonable double action pull for the first shot. If you practice, it will take you no more time to disengage the safety as you are drawing the gun. I know that is another debate for another thread, so I don't mean to really start anything with all that. All I mean to say is that for the money, the SR9C is hard to beat in my book.

Guest bkelm18

M&P 9mm. Service size. It's almost identical in dimension to the Glock 19.

Not quite. It's closer to a G17. I wish upon all wishes that there were an M&P to match the G19.

I have owned both the Glock 19 and the XDM and have held a few SR9C's. I like the XDM the most. The ergonomics are great in my opinion. Also, I have been much more accurate with the XDM. As far as the XDM's go, it depends on the one you are looking at. There are now two different versions. The regular 4.5" XDM is a full sized hand gun. It is heavier and bulkier than the Glock 19. The XDM 3.8" compact is about the same size as the Glock 19. I have owned both the 4.5" and the 3.8" XDM and I like the 3.8" compact the most.

Now, if you are looking for a great carry weapon I suggest you at least consider the new Springfield XDs. It's even smaller and lighter than the compact XDM's. I never carry my compact XDM because it is too bulky for me. I sold my LCR recently and bought the new XDs. It's definitely the best carry gun out there in my opinion.

I have to admit I am a Springfield guy. So, my opinion my be a little biased. I'd take a Springfield over a block any day of the week :stir:

I'd take a Springfield over a block any day of the week :stir:

This ....

Although I like Glock, I prefer XD's. After owning several XD's & XDm's ... they feel the most natural.

I'd encourage you to find a local range that will allow you to rent or try out used firearms. I know the G&L in Hendersonville has both Glocks & XD's, and may have a Ruger as well. Then go from there.... :)

Well I decided today at the gunshow, price did end up being a factor. Brand new sr9c @ $405, I'm very happy with it so far and can't wait to send some rounds downrange. I could have gotten tea shiny chrome slide for $10 cheaper, but for carry I like all black. Anyway here it is with its little brother.

328e1a3d-2527-e4de.jpg

Sent from my SCH-R930 using Tapatalk 2

Edited by Mdunntn