PD ammo choice, where does it end?

Guest Bronker

Guest Bronker

Allow me to vent a bit source of frustration. Some anxiety, but mostly frustration.

At what point did you finally decide on the right ammo to carry? I've done countless amounts of research on these things. I've read articles. I've read ballistics charts. I'm crawled all over the "Box-o'-Truth." I've spoken to countless friends and confidants. I've talked to my PD buddies. I've fired hundreds of rounds through my XD as my primary carry. The XD eats everything. Of course, I settled a while back on Winchester Rangers 155gr, and had my first failure to feed...so, let the "reconsideration" begin...

I find this reputable source saying Federal Hydrashocks all the way, then the BoT says in their tests that it underperformed. My Winchester Rangers did terrible in the same test. So, now I'm seriously doubting it...

Ergo my question. When did you finally decide you'd done all of the research you can, and all of the range work you needed to become completely confident in your choice. And nothing you heard or read would sway your choice?

I've read all of the posts here about ammo preference, and "what do you carry?" I know about all brands, their pro's and con's (as reported). I know that theres a consistent small group of brands that are reliable. I know about the joke rounds. I don't want this to be another "best .40 carry round" thread. I've read all of those. I want to hear some personal insights. I guess I know the "what's". I want to hear the "deep down why's".

So...at what point did you say - I've done enough. This is what I shall trust my life to. And no article or report can change that. And maybe none of us reach that point. Do tell.

Looking forward to hearing from you all. By the way, I carry the XD .40S&W subcompact.

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The reason I reload is to make the best ammo I can for the least money. I have settled on a very good 40 S&W load. I use various brass and primers with either Rainier or Berry plated (heavy) 165gr hollow points and 7.5gr of Longshot powder. These are clean, accurate rounds that I believe will expand better than jacketed rounds but still have the power to penetrate. I believe they will do what I need but then so will most ammo.

Don't get caught up in the best ammo because different test will show different results on each brand/type, any good brand should work.

No one shot stops everytime!

Guest darkstar

I test fired a bunch of different rounds (to ensure feeding reliability) and then relied on a bunch of reading materials and opinions of some people I consider knowledgeable to determine performance i.e. expansion, ballistics, etc. I have a friend that actually test fired many many different loads into various materials and compared the results. I looked at the resulting bullets, studied up on ballistics and then made a choice, or actually choices as I have several I rotate on a regular basis.

In .45 I take the cheapest most available I can. Currently that's Golden Saber. If all I had was ball I'd take that.

In .357mag I like the heavier bullets, the 125gr kick too much for me. They are supposed to work better than the 158gr but screw it. I'll take shootable over any ballistic testing.

Given that shot placement is far more important than bullet style or velocity I really don't worry too much about it. If I am comfortable with the load I will carry it. I like the 158LHP +P .38spc mainly because there is lots of field experience with it. But currently that isnt what I have in my .38spc.

Guest Bronker

Give me just a few minutes, Bill. I'm still sorting through some credibility issues with you.

Gimme just a second. No doubt you got da skillz.

But gimme a minute. That looks like no .38 I've ever seen...

Gunstein.jpg

Guest Law of Thirds

The difference between quality modern hollowpoints is really small. Think of it as the differences between the generations of a glock 17. All are reliable, all tend to do exactly what they say they do and all should be an option if they feed properly. The difference between a Hydrashock/Early Black Talon and a more modern bullet like the XTP or TAP is very small.

http://www.brassfetcher.com/40%20S&W.html has an excellent selection of .40 hollowpoints through ballistic gelatin to consider if you don't feel like running out and spending a bunch of money on doing the tests yourself.

The Intl' Wound Ballistic Assoc'. (IWBA) consistently ranks Remington standard Golden Sabre as the best performing ammo under most field conditions.

The best performing of all submitted ammo is the 165 gr 40 cal Golden Sabre. It is the ONLY ammo given the "OPTIMUM" rating. Oddly enough, the 147 gr 9X19 GS performs about as well. The lighter 45 GS works well, and does not overpenetrate when fired in short barreled pistols against heavily dressed offenders. Heavier bullets are not the best performers in very short barreled guns.

Typically, ammo that performs well on thinly clothed subjects will overpenetrate and not expand well when the offender is heavily dressed.

Ammo that performs well on a heavily dressed subject often exhibits insufficient penetration on a thinly dressed offender.

The Remington Golden Sabre generally is reliable in auto pistols. For the smaller calibers such as 380, and 32 Auto, hardball is recommended. These marginal calibers need penetration and reliability more than expansion, insufficient penetration and failures to feed.

Perusing this site will give you many insights about what you need to put in your carry firearm.

http://www.firearmstactical.com/wbr.htm

Guest nraforlife
The Intl' Wound Ballistic Assoc'. (IWBA) consistently ranks Remington standard Golden Sabre as the best performing ammo under most field conditions.

The best performing of all submitted ammo is the 165 gr 40 cal Golden Sabre. It is the ONLY ammo given the "OPTIMUM" rating. Oddly enough, the 147 gr 9X19 GS performs about as well. The lighter 45 GS works well, and does not overpenetrate when fired in short barreled pistols against heavily dressed offenders. Heavier bullets are not the best performers in very short barreled guns.

Typically, ammo that performs well on thinly clothed subjects will overpenetrate and not expand well when the offender is heavily dressed.

Ammo that performs well on a heavily dressed subject often exhibits insufficient penetration on a thinly dressed offender.

The Remington Golden Sabre generally is reliable in auto pistols. For the smaller calibers such as 380, and 32 Auto, hardball is recommended. These marginal calibers need penetration and reliability more than expansion, insufficient penetration and failures to feed.

Perusing this site will give you many insights about what you need to put in your carry firearm.

http://www.firearmstactical.com/wbr.htm

165gr GS is the only ammo I use for carrying.