"Breaking Bad"

Out of curiosity, you know, in case I ever need a lawyer to hide $5 million in illicit cash for me. :) Where does the attorney-client privilege end in a case like Gomey showing up at the bank? Attorney dude has a bag of cash and a bunch of bank deposit boxes. There's nothing illegal about that. Abnormal, but not illegal. What leverage does the DEA have in a case like that to get the lawyer to talk, assuming the lawyer's not wetting his pants and squealing like this guy is. There's presumably no warrant involved to search the bank vault. Doesn't the lawyer have an expectation of privacy in the vault? Did the bank violate that?

I was wondering this too ... I was kinda shocked when they caught him completely red handed ... I figured they would have to wait outside the vault and catch him coming out. Gomey was GREAT in that scene though.

Guest drv2fst

Plane Crash? Did I miss an episode or two? How was Walt responsible for the plane crash? I remember it "fell" on his house but not how he was involved.

Plane Crash? Did I miss an episode or two? How was Walt responsible for the plane crash? I remember it "fell" on his house but not how he was involved.

Walt allowed Jesse's girlfriend Jane to die. Her father - an air traffic controller - was so distraught he caused a mid-air crash between two planes.

Guest Lester Weevils

Am enjoying this season as good as the previous seasons. All the seasons have been great. The initial seasons were interesting the learning curve, one train wreck after the other, working up the food chain. So many well drawn quirky characters. And the train wrecks keep on coming this season. It might be difficult to properly judge the comparative "quality" of this season until it completes and then some time passes to gain perspective.

Weeds is a similar good show slightly closer to "sick sitcom" than "sick crime drama". Weeds has also been one long train wreck. Similar theme of yuppies gradually morphing into underworld criminals. The extended learning curve. Many plot twists and quirky well drawn characters.

Dunno how "realistic" either show happens to be. Possibly the most "realistic" parts of Breaking Bad-- Scenes at that rundown skid row motel and its denizens, decrepit crack houses full of vacant eyed fried vagrants, the pitiful stupid and homely junkie married couple who ripped off the drug money, and their pitiful little neglected kid. Years ago I saw enough of that doing social work and the scenes are dang realistic. Haven't a clue how realistic are portrayals of underworld criminals behaving badly, or portrayals of DEA employees.

Guest drv2fst

Walt allowed Jesse's girlfriend Jane to die. Her father - an air traffic controller - was so distraught he caused a mid-air crash between two planes.

Thanks, I remember the father connection now. That had slipped my mind.

I don't know, I wouldn't blame Walt for the airplane crash. Was he a catalyst to the event, sure but he wasn't the one directing air traffic either. As harsh as it may seem the fault comes down to a grieving dad returning to work before he was ready to. There's a connection but the buck has to stop somewhere and it's not with Walt. Might as well blame Jane for taking the heroin, or the dealer who sold it to her, or the dealer that sold it to the dealer that sold it to her, or the smuggler that sold it to the dealer who sold it to the dealer who sold it to her, or the person/s who made the stuff in the first place.

Now I'm thinking the M60 is gonna be for this new crew that Mike found to buy the precurser(sp?)

Out of everyone involved I think Jessie at this point has the best chance to make it out of the fire unscathed, what I'm wondering is didn't he see that potted plant in the back of Walts yard that the poison came from that hospitalized his girlfriends brother? I thought he did in which case there may be retribution on his mind already.

I don't recall Jessie seeing the plant ... I do remember Walt packing it up with all the other evidence to dispose of after blowing up Gus. I could be wrong though, maybe Jessie did see it. Kind of funny that the little tag with the name of the plant was left in the pot, but I think that was really just done as a cinematic device to let the audience know that the plant was indeed the poison that was used on the kid.

I meant that every death is somehow connected to Walt and the meth, not that he's the direct cause, or even the start of the chain. It's meant to show that every event is part of a chain, or series of chains, and not always intentional. Every action has unforseen consequences. Walt didn't break Ted's neck, but it wouldn't have happened had a chain of events not occured, with the blue stuff being somewhere on that chain. He cooked his books. He hired Skyler. IFT. She paid his IRS bill with Walt's money (which she wouldn't have if he hadn't started cooking). Etc.... It didn't start with Walt, but he's somehow, even if indirectly, connected with every death/near death on the show. Perhaps it's Vince Gilligan's view of fatalism or something similar.

Jesse didn't see the plant.

Maybe I'm underestimating Jesse, but I doubt he'd remember the plant or make the mental connection.

Am I the only one wondering if the connection between the restaurant mega-conglomerate and the meth operation is really over? They conveniently dropped that part of the storyline kind of quickly.

I don't know K, Jesse isn't all cracked now, he's been using his a brain and is pretty sharp IMO. Maybe not "smart" but definitely sharp I think he'd make the connection if it were in front of him.

I guess he didn't see it though so perhaps his ignorance will keep him safe.

Am I the only one wondering if the connection between the restaurant mega-conglomerate and the meth operation is really over? They conveniently dropped that part of the storyline kind of quickly.

Walt's going to go looking for her for the list of Mike's 'people'...

Walt's going to go looking for her for the list of Mike's 'people'...

I'm wondering what he plans on doing about them when he gets those names. As much as he may hate to admit it Walts not quite a kingpin, he hasn't got anyone on the inside that we're aware of so he'll be needing to contract some help for that.

Which could also explain the m60. He may need to deal with whoever he contracts.

Out of curiosity, you know, in case I ever need a lawyer to hide $5 million in illicit cash for me. :) Where does the attorney-client privilege end in a case like Gomey showing up at the bank? Attorney dude has a bag of cash and a bunch of bank deposit boxes. There's nothing illegal about that. Abnormal, but not illegal. What leverage does the DEA have in a case like that to get the lawyer to talk, assuming the lawyer's not wetting his pants and squealing like this guy is. There's presumably no warrant involved to search the bank vault. Doesn't the lawyer have an expectation of privacy in the vault? Did the bank violate that?

I was amazed the vault door was open, the prior scene that showed the money being stashed in various boxes the door was shown being shut. With it open he had no expectation of privacy. I doubt they can compel the guy to talk though.

I don't see why Walt (or should we be calling him Heisenberg now that he's fully evolved?) feels he needs to worry about Mike's people. They only knew Gus and Mike. They may have known there was a Heisenberg, but NO WAY they knew it was Walt. His only 3 remaining "threats" are Skyler, Lydia, and Jesse.

I think BigK meant the only ones who know Walt's the cook are Skyler, Lydia, and Jesse.

Plus pretty much the entire staff at Vamanos Pest...and the guys at the scrapyard...Skinny Pete and Badger might know too.

There are plenty of threats out there. At some point, I'd expect the cartels from south of the border to come looking for some revenge and to regain their turf. Gus took out the major players in the part of Mexico he was affiliated with, but there's plenty more in Mexico, Colombia, etc. Plus the new crew from AZ. They know they can make money with Walt, but they can also kill him and take over New Mexico.

Skinny Pete and badger know, they met him in the aerospace center looking place for a meeting and handoff with Jesse.

We'll have to see about Hank, his higher ups don't seem to want him putting his time on the case anymore but it's anyones guess how they will react to Mikes death. He doesn't seem to care about much beyond the blue ice issue bit that may turn into a downfall for him as well.

Skinny Pete and badger know, they met him in the aerospace center looking place for a meeting and handoff with Jesse.

We'll have to see about Hank, his higher ups don't seem to want him putting his time on the case anymore but it's anyones guess how they will react to Mikes death. He doesn't seem to care about much beyond the blue ice issue bit that may turn into a downfall for him as well.

Funny you should mention the higher ups. Seems to me that somebody is trying really hard to keep Hank from spending too much time on the investigation. Could be an honest attempt to cut costs and save man power but still smells a little like someone is benefitting the continuation of Fring's operation and doesn't want Hank getting too close to the new "boss". If so, these higher ups could also provide a nice little safety net (cover up) for Walt and his crew if they ever were in danger of being exposed which could in theory allow for the movie that people are talking about. Or I could totally be wrong and Walt could just go out in a blaze of glory when he is finally exposed. Gotta watch to find out!

well, crap!

I didn't even think about the possibility of Hank's boss being dirty. Even if it's not true, it's something to think about. Before Fring even got offed there was some pressure to wrap up the case or drop it, now that I think about it.

Could be theyre on the take, could be much more innocent.

They have a budget, an inordinate amount of their funding is being spent on what would seem to be a dead case, while much to Walts displeasure, he's not the only game in town. Hank seems to believe it's still worth looking into, maybe because he's guessed Walts secret, maybe because he's still got an axe to grind over getting shot, who knows. All we know is his higher ups want him looking for other fish to fry.