Why can't you keep your mouth shut?

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest atomemphis

The title of this thread makes me cringe everytime i log into TGO, as it insinuates that a gunshop owner would advocate criminals find ways to purchase ammo, etc(such as silence, as an example).

I am aware that the intent was to point out a interesting exchange, but it sticks out like a sore thumb as advice to those who cannot legally purchase something.

I'm sure the ol' Brady campaigners would like to see this, just the title and OP's 1st post, and go to the papers with it.

Guest mikedwood
The title of this thread makes me cringe everytime i log into TGO, as it insinuates that a gunshop owner would advocate criminals find ways to purchase ammo, etc(such as silence, as an example).

I am aware that the intent was to point out a interesting exchange, but it sticks out like a sore thumb as advice to those who cannot legally purchase something.

I'm sure the ol' Brady campaigners would like to see this, just the title and OP's 1st post, and go to the papers with it.

Yeah but the Rabbi being a responsible firearms dealer didn't fall for it and crime was averted once again. Way to stay sharp Rabbi!

Guest atomemphis
Yeah but the Rabbi being a responsible firearms dealer didn't fall for it and crime was averted once again. Way to stay sharp Rabbi!

And then he posts a thread with a title stating "if you hadn't said anything about the felony, i'd have sold you bullets"

legal or not, an uneducated anti-gun politician is going to come across this, or something similar, raise an eyebrow, cry to the newspapers, Bob's your uncle, and then I'm going to have to go through a background check everytime I want to buy Mini-mags for my 22.

And then he posts a thread with a title stating "if you hadn't said anything about the felony, i'd have sold you bullets"

legal or not, an uneducated anti-gun politician is going to come across this, or something similar, raise an eyebrow, cry to the newspapers, Bob's your uncle, and then I'm going to have to go through a background check everytime I want to buy Mini-mags for my 22.

:tinfoil:

I think you're wound a little tight. :D

Guest Phantom6

Whoa there big guy. In my opinion neither the title nor the OP insinuates anything of the kind. If it insinuates anything at all it is only the frustration that a good salesman feels when he believes he has a good prospect for his product only to have to turn it (the sale) down because the prospect can't qualify for the purchase. It happens every day in every industry; banking, housing, new and used automobile sales, jewelry, footwear, ad infinitum. The frustration is intensified when you may have been one or two sales down from what your plan indicates for the day, the week or the month. Then you think you are going to be able to meet your sales goal right before you close for the night just to have the wheels come off of it due to something entirely beyond your control, in this case the fact that the guy screwed up sometime in his past, and you fall short of your target. As a corporate sales trainer and regional Director of Sales for a large service corporation I used to remind my people that commissioned sales is one of the few jobs in the world where an individual is paid what they are worth. A small shop owner is like a commissioned salesman.

I don't have to speak for Mr. The Rabbi because he does that extremely well for himself but for myself I'll say that it hurts to loose a sale but as a small business owner I'd rather loose the sale and send business down the road than loose my business altogether after having a regulatory agency all up my backside like a bad colonoscopy.

As far as the "Brady Bunch" is concerned, it would be just another non-story this bunch of misguided fools might attempt to shove down the throats of other misguided fools or folks with hidden agendas.

Question- If James Brady had been swimming with the President that day and had been severely injured diving into shallow water and since it is a proven fact that more people die in swimming pool accidents every year than by gun shot either accidental or intentional, you think the pool industry would have the kinds of problems you are so concerned about?

Marco! ............. Marco?

That's true. I would have sold them to him. I have probably sold more ammo to convicted felons than anyone else on this board, except for Glockmeister (only because he's been in business way longer). This is because we aren't required to background check people for ammo. So unless he volunteers that info I don't know. It is the same with people 18-21 buying ammo for handguns. If they tell me it is for a long gun, I can sell it. If they tell me it is for a handgun I can't. It wouldn't take a rocket scientist to figure out what the "right" answer here is.

Virtually everyone knows this, it is hardly a secret. The various schemes to prevent it have been tried (ammo register, FOID card). None of them has been proven effective, all have been failures and imposed costs and hassle on consumers.

And I agree with NSNate's comment.

ist off...YO nice bling dog!

I don't know about the TEC9's as the only time I've seen or heard of one being used, it was in the hands of some gangbanger goin' down on COPS.

I actually once owned one of the TEC22 models and it was a POS!

I traded it for a table saw. More reliable and probably more lethal....wow...wonder if I need a permit for it?

Guest atomemphis

are you kidding me? The title screams: "why can't you keep your mouth shut (so i can make a sale)?"

everybody in my office agrees, as we discussed this over coffee this morn. Its amusing that this is turning into "he's wound a little tight, but let's jump on the Rabbi-bandwagon"

Lord knows he needs any helpers so he can disagree in countless other threads, purely for the sake of being disagreeable.

are you kidding me? The title screams: "why can't you keep your mouth shut (so i can make a sale)?"

everybody in my office agrees, as we discussed this over coffee this morn. Its amusing that this is turning into "he's wound a little tight, but let's jump on the Rabbi-bandwagon"

Lord knows he needs any helpers so he can disagree in countless other threads, purely for the sake of being disagreeable.

Sorry this isn't turning out like you intended when you first posted.

In fact I couldn't care less about a sale that will net me $2.50 in gross profit.

I have turned down sales that would have produced far more when it became apparent it was a straw purchase.

A lot of the OP was to point out how easy it is for people to evade gun laws and how criminals, being stupid, end up foiled by them anyway. The customer could easily have purchased his ammo just by keeping his mouth shut. When he starts blabbing about his felony, he clearly has no idea of the implications of what he is saying.

If you think you are doing some gun-community service by bashing the thread and/or my business practices, you are sorely mistaken.

• Administrator

Facts

• Sale of ammunition is loosely regulated, as per Rabbi's post
  • Rabbi still could have sold the ammo to the guy unaware if the guy had kept his mouth shut
  • Rabbi didn't sell it to him out of good conscience and did the right thing

The obvious conclusion here is that the sale of ammunition should be regulated so that you can no longer buy it without a background check ($10 TICS fee per purchase!) so that people like Rabbi won't have to decide if their own sense of ethics will guide them away from earning a buck.

Hurry up and get Obama or Hillary elected so that we can remove this tremendous burden from the Rabbi!!!

Edited by TGO David
Corrected some of my wording

BTW....and I hate to post humor in the middle of this heated discussion, just so y'all know, that darn table saw was hell to find a holster for. And it absolutely did NOT go well with shorts and a T-shirt.....

A discussion in your office? :D Where do you work Scranton, PA!:tinfoil:

• Administrator
BTW....and I hate to post humor in the middle of this heated discussion, just so y'all know, that darn table saw was hell to find a holster for. And it absolutely did NOT go well with shorts and a T-shirt.....

Did you go with IWB, OWB or a shoulder rig? :D

Guest atomemphis

You seem to have pegged me. A blue stater stuck in Tennessee. :D

Wait. Nope.

And I really don't care about other shops' business practices. The gun shop I frequent is the only one I care about, and it is very well run.

The thread immediately devolved from the original post into a satire of thug-culture which lost all benefit or use as a topic in the 'Handgun Forum'.

In addition, I don't think threads 'turn out' anyone way or another. Its a conversation, not an argument, there are no winners on the internet.

Guest atomemphis
A discussion in your office? :D Where do you work Scranton, PA!:tinfoil:

Use to work there in Brentwood at an environmental engineering firm. Discussions there revolved around Vanderbilt mostly.

Now as a contractor in Memphis, things are much more casual, topics are diverse, and the day starts early.

<snip> an uneducated anti-gun politician <snip>

Sort of redundant, isn't it? :D

The rest is not directed solely at you atomemphis.... It seems the paranoia has been a little bit on the high side on the board lately.... Thread titles promoting illegally activity, cars broken into because of NRA plates or stickers, secrets among the mods, don't OC or you'll ruin carry for all of us....and so on and so on.....

:):chill::chill::chill::)

Guest canynracer

I dont think Rabbs is wrong, and no I am not on the RabbWagon..it is common sense, if the purchaser is there to buy ammo, then buy it, do you expect dealers to ask every purchaser for ID and criminal history?

I guess I am not understanding your point....If the dude would have kept his mouth shut about the felony, he would have ammo, Rabbi would have never known otherwise,....but because dude opened his mouth, Rabbs followed the law and denied the sale...

The question is, now that we KNOW this felon was there to buy ammo, what was he buying it for??? Felons cant own firearms :)