Gunless in Calgary: American policeman jeered for letter

Interesting little story. Sounds like the guy should have just stayed out of Canada. I won't go to Canada due to their gun laws and liberalism, but I won't cry about it either. Their country, their laws.

http://news.yahoo.co...-225750666.html

This is a news story, so feel free to move it to the "Newsworthy Topics" section. I just felt it belonged here due to it being a "handgun carry" related story.

Edited by Seabeejason
  • Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest capt usa

Most of the sheep will always be sheep (it takes some life altering event to change some). Course he may have gotten nervous for no reason cause everybody knows there's no crime in Canada because criminals can't have guns.

Lots of guns in Canada. Not sure about Calgary specifically, but lots of privately owned guns in civilians hands for our neighbors up North.

Actually just looked it up and it looks like they're getting pretty good about their laws, even starting to get in on concealed carry.

Not an option for everyone, but they're starting to get it.

If I had to live anywhere else BESIDES America, it would probably be Canada.

my friend from canada said the biggest thing up there is they cannot own anything that the police do not like the look of. Lots of random guns are not allowed to be owned just due to looks -- AR, AK, and more. Lot of paperwork, but its no worse than NY or CA here to own the allowed stuff.

And Canada can import Chinese stuff. I know the Norinco 1911's were very nice to build on and in most cases they are more expensive than some American made 1911's now. The prices are also very, very cheap. I can remember when some MAJOR 1911 smiths would prefer Norinco's over the 80's-90's vintage Springfields.

I would take a chance on a $429 M14:http://www.marstar.ca/dynamic/product.jsp?productid=75635

Or $350 for a CZ clone:http://www.marstar.ca/dynamic/category.jsp?catid=75662

And $159 for a JW15:http://www.marstar.ca/dynamic/product.jsp?productid=75411 (they are known to be very, very accurate)

Dolomite

From my understanding, long gun laws are pretty lenient up there - just strict on the handguns and no carry laws yet. My old roommate is Canadian, dual citizenship actually due to his mom being from the US and retaining her citizenship. Him, his brother, and one of his friends that has come down to visit all enjoy shooting and firearms. They have no problem with carry or anything of that sort. Obviously this is just a small section of what their country's overall views might be, but most don't mind it.

On topic with the norinco's, I believe most models you can use genuine parts to swap things out as well. So you can buy a cheap knockoff and if something breaks, but in the real deal part. I used to frequent a site run by a guy somewhere in europe and he would review a lot of the norinco's and other guns that we couldn't get our hands on in the US. Some model norinco's are hit or miss, it is a clear cut "this is a good bargain to pick up a cheap version of XXX gun, or "stay away from this!".

my friend from canada said the biggest thing up there is they cannot own anything that the police do not like the look of. ....

They actually have, you know, laws that determine what's allowed. Just like here.

- OS

Edited by OhShoot