Olympic winner waves 2 different country flags

Guest CCI

Guest colombianito1021

Maybe you guys should train, race him in the 1500m run and show him how its done.

He won a silver medal. Let him celebrate. No different to me then Lochte putting on his "grill", Serena Williams "Crip Walking" and other athletes celebrating.

Maybe you guys should train, race him in the 1500m run and show him how its done.

He won a silver medal. Let him celebrate. No different to me then Lochte putting on his "grill", Serena Williams "Crip Walking" and other athletes celebrating.

He was there to represent the United States, not Mexico. I don't care what his heritage is, the Olympics is a friendly competition between athletes that represent their country. If he wants to represent Mexico then he should move back to that country, renounce his American citizenship and be on their Olympic team.

Edited by Seabeejason
  • Like 1
Guest bkelm18

He is a representative of the USA. Not of Mexico. His uniform says USA on it, not MEXICO. But sure, let him celebrate the country that offered nothing to his parents instead of paying respect to the country that offered him everything. I'm sorry you can't see the diference between not respecting your country and someone doing a silly little dance. I guess that's the problem nowadays. People wet their pants when an athlete does a hip-hop dance, but are indifferent when they disrespect their country.

Edited by bkelm18

A little off topic.

In California, there are numerous Mexican homes, with flag poles in their front yard! They fly the flag of Mexico on that pole, not the flag of United States of America!

A little off topic.

In California, there are numerous Mexican homes, with flag poles in their front yard! They fly the flag of Mexico on that pole, not the flag of United States of America!

Nothing wrong with being proud of your culture or where you came from.

I suppose my immigrant grandfather should have been ashamed for flying the Irish flag? It'd be one thing if they were burning an American flag while waving the Mexican, but they aren't.

I've known alot of Mexicans, born in Mexico, in Ca who were hands down more appreciative of our country than most fortunate enough to have been born here. Knew a guy who came from Costa Rico who could name more US presidents off the top of his head than most anyone else I've met. Proud American, proud Costa Rican.

• Like 1

Nothing wrong with being proud of your culture or where you came from.

I suppose my immigrant grandfather should have been ashamed for flying the Irish flag? It'd be one thing if they were burning an American flag while waving the Mexican, but they aren't.

I've known alot of Mexicans, born in Mexico, in Ca who were hands down more appreciative of our country than most fortunate enough to have been born here. Knew a guy who came from Costa Rico who could name more US presidents off the top of his head than most anyone else I've met. Proud American, proud Costa Rican.

It's the principle of it. If you're there representing a team/country it is inappropriate to do. Imagine if the Titans made it to the Superbowl and won and the QB dons apparel from his state of record rather than Tennessee. I know I'd feel that was a big FU. If you want to represent that state, go to their team. Same applies here. He was representing the US, not Mexico. If he represented Mexico and was waving around a US Flag upon winning I'm sure Mexicans would be outraged.

I don't think that he should have a medal stripped or anything, but he doesn't deserve my respect.

Edited by TMF

most everyone in this country used to be proud of their families heritage. My father is a very proud Irishman though he has only set foot on the Emerald Isle to see a ND football game. I knew lots of kids with Italian heritage, they were all very proud of it.

I don't see the big deal that some guy celebrates where his bloodline came from..

• Like 1
Guest 6.8 AR

As he should be allowed to celebrate his victory for the country he represented. Now, which was it?

America or Mexico?

Pitiful use of political expression. Nothing more.

most everyone in this country used to be proud of their families heritage. My father is a very proud Irishman though he has only set foot on the Emerald Isle to see a ND football game. I knew lots of kids with Italian heritage, they were all very proud of it.

I don't see the big deal that some guy celebrates where his bloodline came from..

He wasn't flying some ancestoral coat of arms, he was flying the flag of a foreign government. How would you feel if it was a Chinese or a Russian flag? How would it be different than this?

I often represented the United States when I was in the Army. Would it have been appropriate to strip the American flag off my uniform and replace it with an Irish flag? How 'bout one of our olympians from the south running out there with the Stars and Bars? I guess that would be okay... my family fought for the CSA during the Civil War.

The time to celebrate your family history is not when you're representing your country. That is what olympians are doing, representing their country. If it was supposed to be an individual sport than everyone would be a free agent and citizenship wouldn't matter. He embarrassed the US and should not be considered to represent us again.

Guest 6.8 AR

Did your dad stand up and use the Irish flag when he made a few robust comments about his Irish heritage? I

don't remember mine doing that about his family from Alsace-Lorraine, or his Irish heritage, either. There is nothing

wrong with being proud of one's roots, but there is a time and place, and context.

The Olympics is about teams from countries competing, not for political speech.