Burglary and a 12 Gauge

As noted by the author, this is a long read but after I read it I though it was well worth the time - I think there are some lessons to be learned here...

Excerpt:

A man I know quite well was put into a dangerous situation due to his neighbor’s house being burglarized. This person, we can call him “Jim,†lives in a very quiet section of a very small town. The little town does not even have a traffic light, so it is smaller than those one traffic light towns we often hear about. Another house, just two doors up from the victim’s house, has always been an issue because of the occupants. No real trouble, just suspicions. It is a familiar house to neighborhoods across the country. The place where things just do not seem quite right.

An older couple (grandparents) opened their home to a grandchild in her twenties. The girl brings home a fiance. A nice guy; even helpful. Then other people start to show up. They hang out on the porch. Cars pull up. Some of them are old jalopies while some of them are worth about as much as the house they are parked in front of. No direct evidence of criminal activity, just little things such as another neighbor noticing the amount of traffic at the front door of the house. Not that it is a steady stream, just a bit odd for the tone set by the rest of the neighborhood.

Link to full story: https://www.usconcea...1)&utm_content=

Read most of this.

Other things could have been done, such as repeated calls to the Sheriff to build up a track record on the address. Quietly collect license-plate numbers of the visiting cars, to build up a track record of the unsavory visitors with their previous convictions and run-ins with the law. Warn other property owners to tighten up their own security and watch out for each others' houses.

But finally,

Instead of homeowner hiding outside with the shotgun and confronting the trespasser & potential burglar in the front yard, homeowner could have just sat in the living room 'napping' with the lights out and the shotgun across his lap and be 'surprised' when the perp comes in. Once the perp is inside the house, he's not merely a trespasser & potential burglar, he's an actual burglar.

Drop him with a blast.

Once shot in the house, problem solved. Police paperwork becomes relatively straightforward. Repair and paint the woodwork and steam-clean the carpet.

If this sounds cold, it's because it is cold.

Edited by QuietDan
  • Like 1

Read most of this.

Instead of homeowner hiding outside with the shotgun and confronting the probable burglar in the front yard, homeowner could have just sat in the living room with the lights out and the shotgun across his lap and just wait for the burglar to come in. Once shot in the house, problem solved. If this sounds cold, it's because it is cold.

Considering that the previous burglars stole several firearms during the crime, it would be safe to assume that they would be armed when coming back for more. He deserved no warning shot. He should have been a stain.

I guess I'm just not on the same page with some folks...I am not going to sit waiting for a chance to blow some one away.

Yes; if someone were to break into my home tonight they are going to be on the receiving end of either a 12ga or a 5.56 but I'm not going to sit, awake, just so that I can shoot someone. Sure, at least in Tennessee and most states I'd could probably get away with it but is that supposed to make it the right thing to do?

I had a house like that next door.

Grandma paid the bills and the relatives sold drugs.

I made friends with my local LEO.

A Detective actually gave me his cell number so I could call him directly when things were going on.

Problem solved and I didn't have to shoot anyone.