Militia? Thoughts?

Reading through the threads on other sites I have heard arguments for and against militias .

This is just a few questions about this topic I figured I would post here .

Are there any local militias? state , county , etc. around here in tennesee ?

Ive seen youtube and facebook postings for arizona and texas militias patroling the border , and doing drills etc. but havent heard of anything local.

What is a militia like ? As in, how is it structured , what are the requirements , rules regulations, what do they do, How would one go about joining a militia?

Is there anyone here who is in a "Militia" or knows someone who is?

Is joining a militia even a good Idea with the bad reputation they get from the media and general public ? Or is it more than likely a big red flag that says

"This fella is a Bad Guy" , kind of like how the government describes returning veterans who support the constitution as "Possible terrorist"

seems like it would be a great Idea to have a group of individuals who get together a few times a month and do tactics and drill training .But from the outside looking in ,This day and age would you more than likely be looked at like a bunch of Crazies ?

I try to go to the range as much as possible but you can only work on so many skills standing still shooting at a target a few yards away .

So figured I would ask around for some suggestions , or thoughts

Edited by plank white
Guest bkelm18

We all joke and kid about being on a "list" for being gun owners and such, but I'm pretty sure joining a militia is going to put you on that list, for real.

I have heard there is a TN militia. It's kind of secretive I have heard. Never seen anybody that proclaims they are in a militia but they're probably being smart and keeping it on the down low...

Several years back there was one in the SE part of Tn,up around the Benton,Etowah, Madisonville area.

I heard a rumor that they are a small organization that is very hard to get in to. Something about the TN National Guard is supposed to fill that function for the state or something like that, so the militia wasn't very big or active. It's been a while since I heard this, so I really can't remember much.

I have heard there is a TN militia. It's kind of secretive I have heard. Never seen anybody that proclaims they are in a militia but they're probably being smart and keeping it on the down low...

Yeah I guess in all Honesty that's probably a good Idea . Hell even without Joining one it seems to me that just knowing they were around would be a good thing , But then again not everyone see's things the way I do . I did notice that the ones in Arizona and Texas are pretty big and get a lot of local support "atleast it seems that way" on there you tube videos and stuff , But then again they have a border to patrol so Id imagine its a totally different scenario than here.

I'm not a radical or anything, but I wholly support the formation of local militias. Mostly for the purpose of community continuity in the event of a natural or man made disaster. Of course, the problem is that local militias carry with them certain connotations of extremism towards government. I don't share those views as long as we have the power to vote our leaders out/in to office.

Having grown up around many of these militia types due to family ties, I can say that I would have no desire to be associated with them. There is a section of my family that is so right wing they make Rush Limbaugh look like a Huffington Post blogger. Although outwardly they appear to be patriotic, I have yet to share an evening with them that didn't involve racist rhetoric or overt support for terroristic tactics against government institutions and famous liberal personalities. Not that I don't make jokes about wishing bad things on Rachel Maddow, but the difference is I don't mean it and have no intention of doing them under any circumstances. Perhaps it's different in Tennessee, but this has been my experience.

Guest ThePunisher

Yes, I am in a militia. The united states one. Probably, you are in it too: it is every able bodied person who could become a soldier if the need arises.

In the last 4 years, I guess you can say there have been a lot of new members.

Edited by ThePunisher

depends on how bad they need soldiers. If you can't shoot, maybe you can run a PC to control a drone or something. If things are bad enough, able-bodied could just mean "alive". Still, however broad or narrow, its one way to define the militia. And a lot less stressful than trying to join a bunch of bubba's out in the woods waiting for the flamable tear gas.

Every able-bodied person between 18 and 45 years of age is a member of the militia. (10 U.S.C. § 311) That is why a military draft is not considered slavery, but instead is a civic duty. Others may volunteer to be called up.

As for other militias, the state also has the right to call up it's citizens for service, as does the county sheriff.

Prior to the mid-1800's most places called up the militia to deal with robbers, lost children, manhunts, natural disasters, and sometimes even road construction. Later, politicians discovered that people would rather pay taxes than do the actual work. Politicians love having money to spend!

Guest TankerHC

Tn does have a state Militia. http://tennesseeconstable.ning.com/profile/WillAnderson

MS has a Militia. I looked into it and they wanted me to come in at one rank higher than my Army retired rank. I would have come in as Sergeant Major. In theirs you buy your own uniforms, and meet twice a month. They do get activated. They get paid on activation the same rates as the Active Army Component. They are used to replace deployed National Guard Units and last time I recall them being activated was during Hurricane Katrina. I decided not to do it.

Pa has a Militia that is an MP Unit. They are issued uniforms, Humvees and weapons. They have to be qualified and pass the same PT test as the Army. Activation is the same, with same pay as Active Army.

Check out Oath Keepers at www.oathkeepers.org. Not for or against militias but for the Constitution. Goal is to educate LE and military on the need to uphold their oath to defend the Constitution. Started after Katrina when the NO police went door to door confiscating weapons from law abiding citizens, used warrantless searches of private property for weapons, etc. Ask the military to help--some did, some didn't. By the way, the oath any of us who served in the military didn't have an expiration date. That fact, my belief in the Constitution, and my disgust at what is happening to our rights is why I joined. Don't have to be LE or military to join, just feel a need to do something to help defend the Constitution

We all joke and kid about being on a "list" for being gun owners and such, but I'm pretty sure joining a militia is going to put you on that list, for real.

I suspect we are on someones list, whether a government list or some other organization. I found it interesting that the Southern Poverty Law Center had the shooter in the Sihk Temple in Wisconsin, in their database. Made me wonder who else is in their Database. I also pretty much guarantee that we are all on somebodies list, just for posting here.

I'm not a radical or anything, but I wholly support the formation of local militias. Mostly for the purpose of community continuity in the event of a natural or man made disaster. Of course, the problem is that local militias carry with them certain connotations of extremism towards government. I don't share those views as long as we have the power to vote our leaders out/in to office.

Having grown up around many of these militia types due to family ties, I can say that I would have no desire to be associated with them. There is a section of my family that is so right wing they make Rush Limbaugh look like a Huffington Post blogger. Although outwardly they appear to be patriotic, I have yet to share an evening with them that didn't involve racist rhetoric or overt support for terroristic tactics against government institutions and famous liberal personalities. Not that I don't make jokes about wishing bad things on Rachel Maddow, but the difference is I don't mean it and have no intention of doing them under any circumstances. Perhaps it's different in Tennessee, but this has been my experience.

I knew people like this. Once I figured out who and what they were I dissociated with them rather quickly. I understand that it's hard to do that with relatives. I figured out real quick that people like that are usually wannabes for the most part and ignorant. Not all, but most.

I would become a part of a local militia that civic minded and wasn't politically oriented and racially motivated, but I don't know that there are many out there like that, if any.