Tapco Mini-14 Magazine Review

BryanP

So I keep hearing positive things about the Tapco 30 round magazines for the Mini 14. I hear that with the revised gen ii version they fixed the initial problems and people are very happy. They're quite reasonably priced, so I decided to order two of them. My box from CTD arrived this evening.

Wow, that was a waste of money. Good thing they were cheap.

I decided to give them a quick test by seeing how well they would hand cycle ammunition. I loaded one with 30 rounds of 55 grain brass cased FMJ and the other with 62 grain steel cased JSP (Brown Bear if you're curious). I've fired both with the factory 5 round mag with no problems.

The first thing I noticed is the magazines were difficult to seat. Not just one, but both of them. I slid them in and they wouldn't lock in place unless I really gave it a good solid shove. The factory 5-rounder locks in place effortlessly, so the rifle is fine. After playing with it a bit I figure out how much force it takes to seat them and decide to move on to cycling the bolt.

First I tried the brass. I cycle the bolt and it grabs the first round, but it's slow to move into position. I cycle it again, it ejects and grabs a second round. Again and it ejects but it doesn't grab the top round. I pop the magazine, reseat it and it does the same thing - cycles two rounds, then stops. I tried emptying and reloading the mag and got the similar results.

Now for the steel case. Short version: very similar results to what I had with the brass. It would strip a few rounds and then stop feeding.

Anybody have a suggestion as to what the problem may be? If not I guess I'll have to pony up for some factory Ruger mags.

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, after doing a bit more reading I'm finding other people are having the same problem with these mags when used in new 580 series Mini 14's like mine. Supposedly if you have an older Mini they may fit and function better. I have a friend with an older one, I may bring them to him and see if they work okay in his. If so I'll probably just give them to him.

I have 4. I also have 2 581 series minis.

First generation Tapco mags fed great, and only $10. But the locking hole in mag would get gouged out. I never shot mine enough to develop that prob. I got the other prob though, which was the the feed lips spread with stored loaded mags, would spit out 6 or 8 just sitting. Or when trying to load mag in rifle. Called Tapco, lifetime warranty, and they mean it. All they could do at the time was replace with same thing. Said they'd put me on a list once new ones came out, but they didn't.

So about 3 months ago got a heads up Gen 2 were out. They sent me 4 new ones, with postage to send the others back. Great service.

Hole prob fixed: there's a metal sleeve around it. Feed lips prob fixed: walls are thicker. But won't feed. Why? Because the mag walls are too thick, it's putting pressure down there around the 3rd or 4th round. Take mag out and reinsert, it'll shoot the first 1 or 2 or 3 again, then bind.

You can simulate this yourself, just push follower down, squeeze mag around this area with fingers and thumbs, follower won't move until you release pressure.

I haven't gotten around to calling them again, maybe I will tomorrow now that you've reminded me. The only possible fix I see is to try sanding mag area down there. Then again, thinned down, might develop the lip spreading prob again too.

- OS

Edited by OhShoot