Opinions on a nice new affordable .22 revolver

Guest Hounddog777

Online, the used Peacemakers are selling for up to 10 times what I paid for mine new in 1973. They haven't been made since 1977.

Sadly I also had a .22 Mag Colt Peacemaker with a 4.5" barrel that was stolen in a burglary. Happened about 6 years ago and it still pisses me off! They got the Colt, a Browning Hi-Power and a Norinco .45acp along with some other stuff and my small locked storage locker. I suspect it was the Garbage Men. It was on pick-up day and they used those little satellite trucks that pull up in your driveway. The police lifted a leather glove print off the back door they kicked in. They went out the front door carrying the storage locker.

Edited by Moped

It is an alloy frame. Those states have enacted laws to combat Saturday Night Specials. Heritage offers a steel framed version for those states, but I think it is priced higher.

To be honest, with the amount of rounds through mine, I am not worried about their durability.

To be sure, they aren't a Ruger Single Six, but you aren't paying a Ruger Single Six price tag either. I had a hard time finding a used SS under $350, which is around what I paid for BOTH of my Heritage Rough Riders.

If you are wanting a gun that you know will outlast you and your heirs, get the Ruger. If you want an affordable, reliable and fairly accurate pistol for a good price, get the Heritage. Unless you are made of money, then I guess you can afford the best of the best.

I think South Carolina recently changed their law, so Bud's probably needs to update their prohibited state list and remove SC. Accordingly, I believe the regular Heritage can be sold there now....doesn't really matter for us in TN, but thought I'd add that.

Guest Hounddog777

Sorry, I was unvailable for a few days and the responses are great This is definitely a forum engaged to help. Looks like I will be looking at the Ruger and I really do appreciate all the input.

God Bless Walk Tall, except when you have incoming and stay safe.

It is an alloy frame. Those states have enacted laws to combat Saturday Night Specials. Heritage offers a steel framed version for those states, but I think it is priced higher.

To be honest, with the amount of rounds through mine, I am not worried about their durability.

To be sure, they aren't a Ruger Single Six, but you aren't paying a Ruger Single Six price tag either. I had a hard time finding a used SS under $350, which is around what I paid for BOTH of my Heritage Rough Riders.

If you are wanting a gun that you know will outlast you and your heirs, get the Ruger. If you want an affordable, reliable and fairly accurate pistol for a good price, get the Heritage. Unless you are made of money, then I guess you can afford the best of the best.

My ruger single 6 has signs of gas cutting on the bar over the cylinder.... I do not use it as much anymore. It is not dangerous yet but for a supposedly indestructable gun....

I think (not 100% sure) its the one I learned on, and has many, many thousands of rounds thru it.