AR Pistol is finished!

Guest Aces&8s

Guest Aces&8s

Well, it is finally done... my first AR pistol build, and my first AR that I built completely from parts without using a complete upper or a complete lower. I know, I know... yes it is probably impractical, but dang it, I just wanted one. I harbor no ill-conceived notions about using it for home defense, and I do not plan on painting the comp red and carrying it around town... I am just really looking forward to heading out to the farm and blasting away with it (and getting a .22 conversion to make that more affordable). And to be honest, the way things are going, I wanted to build one while I still could. I may still pony-up for the stamp and SBR it, but for now, here it is:

0807120051.jpg

It consists of:

PSA stripped lower

DPMS LPK

Doublestar pistol buffer tube, paracord wrapped and end plasti-dipped to help secure cord

Carbine buffer spring with H2 buffer

Magpul ASAP single-point sling plate

A2 upper (not sure what mfg., it is a "splinter A" forge mark)

Doublestar BCG and charging handle

Doublestar 7.5" heavy profile 5.56mm barrel with FSB

JSE surplus pistol length gas tube

YHM Mini free float tube handguard

DPMS Levang linear comp

shown with a P-mag

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Aces&8s

I would be intersted to see how the elevation compares with the shorter sight radius.

Dolomite

Hopefully I will get a chance to take it out today. I will let you know what kind of issues I have sighting it in. I started to go flat-top on it, but I just really like the looks of the A2.

Well, it is finally done... my first AR pistol build, and my first AR that I built completely from parts without using a complete upper or a complete lower. I know, I know... yes it is probably impractical, but dang it, I just wanted one. I harbor no ill-conceived notions about using it for home defense, and I do not plan on painting the comp red and carrying it around town... I am just really looking forward to heading out to the farm and blasting away with it (and getting a .22 conversion to make that more affordable). And to be honest, the way things are going, I wanted to build one while I still could. I may still pony-up for the stamp and SBR it, but for now, here it is:

0807120051.jpg

It consists of:

PSA stripped lower

DPMS LPK

Doublestar pistol buffer tube, paracord wrapped and end plasti-dipped to help secure cord

Carbine buffer spring with H2 buffer

Magpul ASAP single-point sling plate

A2 upper (not sure what mfg., it is a "splinter A" forge mark)

Doublestar BCG and charging handle

Doublestar 7.5" heavy profile 5.56mm barrel with FSB

JSE surplus pistol length gas tube

YHM Mini free float tube handguard

DPMS Levang linear comp

shown with a P-mag

If ya dont mind saying, how much did it cost ya to build it?

Guest Aces&8s

If ya dont mind saying, how much did it cost ya to build it?

Too much, probably... $615, including all the shipping, and transfer on the lower. And that was with a $49 lower (Valentine's Day sale), shopping around to get the other stuff on sale, and using MidwayUSA coupons... The barrel was the pricey bit.

LOL... can you imagine doing the Wally Walk with this thing in a drop-leg? :stunned:

Guest Aces&8s

Can you remove the "stock" bar off the back?

Looks great, I really like shooting my plr.

No, with this build, the buffer tube is required. If I had used a piston kit, it would have been unnecessary, but that would add a couple hundred bucks to the tab. Besides, I like the way the buffer tube gives me a cheek-weld, and helps balance the barrel... that heavy-profile barrel is pretty weighty to be so short!

Guest 6.8 AR

It's practical enough, just like those SBRs, without the extra hassle.

It's not like you built it for long range shooting. Looks good, BTW. I have one in 6.8SPC and another in 5.56.

Looks good!

I think you have inspired me to finally build myself an AR pistol :up:

I've been thinking the same thing... I have a lower with no home and I want something cheap and easy. Been keeping my eye on the classifieds.

Guest Aces&8s

Thanks everyone... I have to admit I like the way it turned out. I picked up a single-point sling at Tri-Cities Gun Depot that works great with it, too. Now I just have to get to the range with it and see how it runs.

The big problem is now there is this little voice in my head that keeps whispering "300 Blackout... 300 Blackout..." There really is no end to this madness other than the grave, is there?

Too much, probably... $615, including all the shipping, and transfer on the lower. And that was with a $49 lower (Valentine's Day sale), shopping around to get the other stuff on sale, and using MidwayUSA coupons... The barrel was the pricey bit.

LOL... can you imagine doing the Wally Walk with this thing in a drop-leg? :stunned:

Well that beats many ones Ive seen advertised!

I saw one online yesterday I think on Rock River's website, that had a pad affixed to the buffer tube assembly I imagine to make it better as a stock substitute.

Edited by barewoolf

.....I saw one online yesterday I think on Rock River's website, that had a pad affixed to the buffer tube assembly I imagine to make it better as a stock substitute.

Couldn't find it on their site, but that sounds a bit like baiting the tiger.

- OS

Guest Lester Weevils

They make all sizes and colors of water pipe insulation sleeves. Some real cheap and cheezy and some real high quality thick closed-cell foam, even sometimes in different colors, though perhaps black/gray would be best.

A nice thick pipe sleeve slipped over the buffer tube might be about as good as a stock, but agreed it might upset the tiger should he notice.